2000 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Review: Dependable

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab - Consumer Review

Dependable
By Virginian on

2000 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought the truck with 5K miles on it from a young couple having their first baby. I have almost 140K on it and it has been the most depenable daily driver I have owned. I knew about the potential ball joint problems and had grease inserts put in. I replaced the shocks at 50K,not because they were bad. Light trucks tend to fish tail over gravel and wash boards and I wanted better stability. I had the rotors turned and new pads put on at 75K, and the lower balls joints replaced at 135K. At 104K I changed the plugs, plug wires, flushed the radiator, replaced the lube in the transmission and rear end. Other than normal maintenance nothing else has failed. Oh, I replaced the battery.

Reliability/dependability. I have driven it on several 16-18 hour trips and was comfortable the whole trip. I get 25 mpg commuting and 30 mpg on the long trips. For a truck that I paid $7400 for - it's earned my respect. Try buying something like this at that price today.

The original Uniroyal Tiger Paw tires were horrible with even a slight bit of moisture on the ground. I thought they would never wear out. So, at 60K I replaced them anyway with Yokohamas, and am not at all dissapointed.