2000 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Don't Buy a ZR-2
By Frenum on 09/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This vehicle has been a disappointment. Although it looks like a rugged offroad vehicle, it is still a weak S-10 underneath. To have any significant performance, several aftermarket engine mods (intake, exhaust) are required. The oversized tires put too much stress on the undersigned suspension, leading to frequent ball joint replacements, as well as idler, pitman arms, cv joints, etc. The springs quickly sag, and the small wheel wells will rub against the tires when turning. I am trading in my truck after 36,000 miles, with almost $3,000 in repairs.

i love it so far
By zinger on 09/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

sharp looking truck and i love the interior, fast acceleration , great braking, easy to service. had 36000 on it when i bought it , now for the bad part, dealerships service department was a joke because they missed most of the grease zerks when they serviced it prior to delivery....GLAD I DO MY OWN WORK!, passenger side seat rattles on rough roads , ash tray is useless, paint prone to chipping on rocker panels.

Hindsight is 20/20
By Danzjeepn on 06/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Fit and Finish is poor - Rubber seal around windshield flew off, seatbelt gets soaked during rain for some reason (dealer doesnt know either) making the interior have a wonderful aroma, and the rubber pedals keep coming off the clutch and brake. The tires suck and are downright dangerous in the rain, for a 4cyl mpg is terrible, A/C keeps cutting off during the commute, some quirky thing about the 2.2 engine, but it is brutal in the Florida heat.

00' S-10 Review
By Cuevl on 05/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought the Chevy S-10 pickup based on the experiences I have heard from friends and family. It has lived up to it reputiation for being reliable and economical. The 4-cyl engine is not the strongest but very efficient. I don't pull trailers or haul heavy things on a regular basis, it is all light duty work that I have done and the Chevy S-10 has worked out perfectly for the job. I also have taken a few trips and have enjoyed the high mpg. I have not had any problems and plan to have the truck for a while!

Love my S10
By BugMan on 05/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought it for commercial pest control vehicle, used around town and regularly haul 800 pounds and it handles the load no problem. Zero factory defects and more than I expected. The four cylinder engine isn't a hot rod, but it gets the job done. Very comfortable seats and the ride is fantastic, more like a car than truck. Very good Interstate road vehicle and nimble around town. Air Conditioner works fantastic. I don't understand the reviews saying it looks cheap inside, it looks good to me. I drove all the small trucks and got the best deal on the Chevy plus I liked it more. I drove other brands for 40 years and this is my first Chevy truck. Guarantee it won't be my last. I love it.

2000 s10 review
By mike leach on 05/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

i have had very good luck with this vehicle. There have been no problems with it so far. I am very well pleased.

You Get What You Pay For
By Austinite on 05/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought a 2000 S-10 LS Reg Cab, Short Bed for around $14K. It has the Vortec V6 engine. I couldn't be happier. I've had a couple of rattles here and there but functionally the truck has been great. Would I have been happier with a Toyota, Mazada, etc? Assuming those are better overall trucks, which cost more, probably not. Price was an important issue for me. I would recommend buying an S-10 to a friend.

OK Truck
By TW on 05/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I've had a 2000 4WD S-10 for about 30 months and have no complaints. Got a fairly good deal on it from the local Chevy store. Rides and drives with high degree of comfort and stability. I added shades over the side windows which upped the wind noise considerably. Have gotten over 25 mpg on long highway trips. It has been a good investment so far.

Great "Tweener"
By millermt on 03/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I chose the S10 ZR2 because it seemed to have the benefits of both a bigger and smaller truck. Sizewise, it is between compact and full-sized truck thanks to the larger suspension. The 4.3L Vortec V6 produces plenty of power (which you wouldn't get in a compact truck), but still gets decent gas mileage in comparison to the full-sized trucks. I've put 48000 NJ Turnpike miles on my truck in the 2 years I've had it, and I haven't had any problems. I did get rear-ended at a stop light. The repairs for my truck were $400, whereas the other guy's car was totalled.

Nothing special-
By sledheadRX1 on 03/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

The acceleration really blows with a 2.2 liter engine. Even with the 5 sp. I am having a hard time pulling a 1500 lb. trailer. Suspension sucked so bad that I had to put on air ride shocks. The interior is very comfortable and the truck rides more like a car than a true truck. Fuel economy should be better than the 20 mpg I am getting. A/C really bogs down the acceleration. Had to spend 3K bucks in extras to get the truck to meet my expectations.