Used 2000 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Another piece of GM Junk
By Tom Bates

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Door hinges wore out after only two years. I have had leaks in the truck since day one. It couldn't get out of its own shadow, even on a down hill run. It is a base model so there are no electric components to give me any issues(electric locks, windows, etc).

The only thing has been the gas mileage. It gives average mileage for a 4 cylinder engine.

Change the "Get it out of the door and let the dealer worry about fixing it attitude." Scrap the crap and start over with a clean sheet of paper.

Not bad considering...
By ChevyOwner

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've been mostly pleased with my S-10. The biggest problems have been having to replace both front wheel bearings twice--apparently a design flaw that has cost me $2400. And the gas gauge has stopped working and I can't see putting another $700 to replace the fuel sending unit to get it to work. Other than that, all major mechanical systems have continued to function to my expectations. It has 94,000 miles and starts every morning without a problem.

Solid braking and minimal pad wear. Replaced pads around 65K instead of every 27K like on the full size Chevy. I like the roomy cab. It isn't luxurious, but it isn't cramped like many other small trucks.

The wheel bearings need to be redesigned. I don't see a reason for them both to wear out at 45K miles and again less than 20K miles later. Wind noise on the highway is a problem.

ZR2 upkeep disappointing
By turbo7106

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck with only 9,000k when one yr old. To date have had following problems: 10k drivers wiper stopped moving,tighten nut. 12k ignition module replaced as truck would not start at times. Throttle body sticking, cleaned twice. Leaks in Oil cooler lines and Pwr Steering pump line. $1,000 repair for the leaks. Should have bought the extended warranty. Not happy with repairs I have had to do. Loved GM all my life, not sure if I will buy another GM product.

Awesome 4x4 setup, great clearance, sharp truck in indigo blue

Better longevity of parts. Shouldnt have had all these repairs in 9k-58k.

Great Reliable Vehicle
By chevy4life

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck as used with only 36,000 miles and am still driving it with zero problems. The only maintenance I've had to do is the usual oil change and air filter change. I definitely got my moneys worth.

Not overly impressed
By Stevie-P

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought this truck to replace an aging Lumina 18 months ago. In that time I've put 33K on it, with little problem. Replaced a throttle position sensor around 70K miles ($145). However, replacing a fuel pump is NOT cheap. The pump itself is $530, not to mention the premium price that GM dealerships garner.

Generally good fuel economy. Sound system and comfort controls are easy to grasp and use.

I hope the new Colorado 4cyl improves the power that this 2.2L lacks.