Used 2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Above Average Repair Costs at 78,000 mi
By Coleman

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have spent over $4400 in repairs in '05/'06 - 78,000- 91,000 miles - upper & lower ball joints, wheel bearings, oxygen sensor, oil cooler lines, shocks, brakes, belts, and tune- up. There is a moisture problem with the rotor cap screen which affects performance. The plastic club door latch broke off at 60,000 ($145 repair) and the passenger seat recliner arm busted ($245 repair).The current Consumer Report lists the S10 on the Worst Car List. I spend over $300 per month on gas for work. I am going broke owning this vehicle but the mechanics keep telling me "it's a good truck." I have not yet hit 100,000 miles and am worried about what's ahead. Anyone out there have similar stories?

Favorite Features

I like the exterior design, color, overall size, visibility and 4WD on the fly.

Suggested Improvements

Replace cheap plastic parts that break easily and rattle when driving. Improve cooler line prob, wheel bearing and oxygen sensor issue

2000 Zr2 2000 Problems
By 2000zr2 2000problems

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

So much for built like a rock. This truck has been nothing but problems. The front end suspension can not handle the 31 inch tires. Spending 200- 300 bucks just to pass a sticker every year is stupid. Weak Transmision. Starting to slip at 80,000. Interior rattles like it is going to fall apart. Bad third door hinge design. I have had it fixed 3 times at a dealer and it still rattles a month later. I love the push 4x4 controls. Body Control Mod. went, 700 bucks fixed that problem. Great exterior looks. Paint chips easy. Gas gauge stoped at 65,000.

Favorite Features

Vortex 4.3 V6. Styling. Towing power( pulled my buddys 4x4 Ranger 3 miles back to his house) Comfy seats.

Suggested Improvements

Front end suspension. Bad transmision. Third door hinges are cheap and annoying. Stereo is weak.

Stephen review
By Stephen

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have driven this vehicle throughout Germany. I love the truck. It has been 100% reliable. Problems I had were as follows: The recline handles on both seats broke before 30000 miles becuase of substandard metal used where they scew onto. The truck wants to slide easy and traction is not good, despite the tires. After 140,000 I still don't burn oil, I am religious on changes. Also the brakes tend to wear out fast on the front and rotors warp quick. (All GMs seem to do this) I love the body style it is timeless and the 4.3 is a great little engine, but I really dislike the plastic coolant outlet valve on the radiator. Apart from these things shes done me great. Reliable as hell. Wind noise is bad.

Favorite Features

I like the neat ness of the body design, the engine and transmission compliment each outher in shifting and power. It's easy to service the vehicle and the steering is perfect for driving. She rides nice and takes corners well.

Suggested Improvements

Cut down on the wind noise. Build better seat handles. The hose on my truck from the coolant overflow caught fire after I washed the engine and it shorted with the right side ABS front bumper sensor harness,was a freak accident I hope. The door hinges need redesigned as door hangs and roller wears.

Another piece of GM Junk
By Tom Bates

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Door hinges wore out after only two years. I have had leaks in the truck since day one. It couldn't get out of its own shadow, even on a down hill run. It is a base model so there are no electric components to give me any issues(electric locks, windows, etc).

Favorite Features

The only thing has been the gas mileage. It gives average mileage for a 4 cylinder engine.

Suggested Improvements

Change the "Get it out of the door and let the dealer worry about fixing it attitude." Scrap the crap and start over with a clean sheet of paper.

Not bad considering...
By ChevyOwner

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've been mostly pleased with my S-10. The biggest problems have been having to replace both front wheel bearings twice--apparently a design flaw that has cost me $2400. And the gas gauge has stopped working and I can't see putting another $700 to replace the fuel sending unit to get it to work. Other than that, all major mechanical systems have continued to function to my expectations. It has 94,000 miles and starts every morning without a problem.

Favorite Features

Solid braking and minimal pad wear. Replaced pads around 65K instead of every 27K like on the full size Chevy. I like the roomy cab. It isn't luxurious, but it isn't cramped like many other small trucks.

Suggested Improvements

The wheel bearings need to be redesigned. I don't see a reason for them both to wear out at 45K miles and again less than 20K miles later. Wind noise on the highway is a problem.