2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Looks can be deceiving
By fatmawyer on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS Xtreme 2dr Extended Cab SB

Looks very sporty at the dealer, but not so on the road. The only possibility for performance is with the v6 setup and the manual transmission. I had the 4 with automatic. 'Xtreme'ly poor performance. The build quality was horrible. The rotors went bad after 20k miles, the transmission needed an overhaul after 30k, and at 56k the truck was having trouble starting. I was very disappointed and after trading in the truck (after ENORMOUS depreciation-over 60% of original value in 2.5 years and 56k miles) and purchasing japanese, I will never buy american again, the quality just doesn't exist.

Nice Truck
By N2deeptn on 12/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

Got a 3 year lease. I have never had to put it in the shop for anything. Nothing has been replaced in 3 years of daily driving, not even the tires.

Great small 4X4
By BobnSue on 12/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This S-10 LS has been a pleasure to own... especially after previously owning a Nissan Pathfinder. The only problem in over two years of driving this S-10 has been an occasion oil drip. The dealer replaced some gaskets under warranty, but it still dripps once in awhile. The 4X4's suspension is stiff so the ride is a bit rough on bumpy roads. The bucket seats could also use some better padding. It's a great winter vehicle for our snow in the western NY area!

My Xtreme
By Knowklew on 11/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS Xtreme 2dr Extended Cab SB

My Xtreme has been a very fun truck to drive and has a big opening for aftermarket add-ons which i dropped plenty of money into. The ride in my truck is comfortable if you like the sporty bumpy pick up truck style but i didnt buy my Xtreme for the purpose of comfort. The handling on my truck, along with the new tires i installed, allows me to keep up with a lot of more expensive sports cars that. The one downside of my truck is the fuel economy, it sucks literally. I did opt for the V6 and the automatic in my truck and i must say that with a few bolt-ons my truck is a rocket.

THE BEST LITTLE TRUCK IN TEXAS
By D P III on 10/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I'm over six foot tall and the low seating that some may complain about is a plus for tall people. The funnest truck to drive. Guages are positioned nicely and the worst gas mileage I have received from my S-10 is 19mpg for city driving. That's awesome.

Don't Buy a ZR-2
By Frenum on 09/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This vehicle has been a disappointment. Although it looks like a rugged offroad vehicle, it is still a weak S-10 underneath. To have any significant performance, several aftermarket engine mods (intake, exhaust) are required. The oversized tires put too much stress on the undersigned suspension, leading to frequent ball joint replacements, as well as idler, pitman arms, cv joints, etc. The springs quickly sag, and the small wheel wells will rub against the tires when turning. I am trading in my truck after 36,000 miles, with almost $3,000 in repairs.

i love it so far
By zinger on 09/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

sharp looking truck and i love the interior, fast acceleration , great braking, easy to service. had 36000 on it when i bought it , now for the bad part, dealerships service department was a joke because they missed most of the grease zerks when they serviced it prior to delivery....GLAD I DO MY OWN WORK!, passenger side seat rattles on rough roads , ash tray is useless, paint prone to chipping on rocker panels.

Love my S10
By BugMan on 05/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought it for commercial pest control vehicle, used around town and regularly haul 800 pounds and it handles the load no problem. Zero factory defects and more than I expected. The four cylinder engine isn't a hot rod, but it gets the job done. Very comfortable seats and the ride is fantastic, more like a car than truck. Very good Interstate road vehicle and nimble around town. Air Conditioner works fantastic. I don't understand the reviews saying it looks cheap inside, it looks good to me. I drove all the small trucks and got the best deal on the Chevy plus I liked it more. I drove other brands for 40 years and this is my first Chevy truck. Guarantee it won't be my last. I love it.

Great "Tweener"
By millermt on 03/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I chose the S10 ZR2 because it seemed to have the benefits of both a bigger and smaller truck. Sizewise, it is between compact and full-sized truck thanks to the larger suspension. The 4.3L Vortec V6 produces plenty of power (which you wouldn't get in a compact truck), but still gets decent gas mileage in comparison to the full-sized trucks. I've put 48000 NJ Turnpike miles on my truck in the 2 years I've had it, and I haven't had any problems. I did get rear-ended at a stop light. The repairs for my truck were $400, whereas the other guy's car was totalled.

perfect
By Ed Mccaffery on 03/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

its awesome