2000 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Above Average Repair Costs at 78,000 mi
By Coleman on 07/29/06 13:09 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have spent over $4400 in repairs in '05/'06 - 78,000- 91,000 miles - upper & lower ball joints, wheel bearings, oxygen sensor, oil cooler lines, shocks, brakes, belts, and tune- up. There is a moisture problem with the rotor cap screen which affects performance. The plastic club door latch broke off at 60,000 ($145 repair) and the passenger seat recliner arm busted ($245 repair).The current Consumer Report lists the S10 on the Worst Car List. I spend over $300 per month on gas for work. I am going broke owning this vehicle but the mechanics keep telling me "it's a good truck." I have not yet hit 100,000 miles and am worried about what's ahead. Anyone out there have similar stories?

2000 Zr2 2000 Problems
By 2000zr2 2000problems on 06/07/06 10:38 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

So much for built like a rock. This truck has been nothing but problems. The front end suspension can not handle the 31 inch tires. Spending 200- 300 bucks just to pass a sticker every year is stupid. Weak Transmision. Starting to slip at 80,000. Interior rattles like it is going to fall apart. Bad third door hinge design. I have had it fixed 3 times at a dealer and it still rattles a month later. I love the push 4x4 controls. Body Control Mod. went, 700 bucks fixed that problem. Great exterior looks. Paint chips easy. Gas gauge stoped at 65,000.

Stephen review
By Stephen on 04/08/06 08:23 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have driven this vehicle throughout Germany. I love the truck. It has been 100% reliable. Problems I had were as follows: The recline handles on both seats broke before 30000 miles becuase of substandard metal used where they scew onto. The truck wants to slide easy and traction is not good, despite the tires. After 140,000 I still don't burn oil, I am religious on changes. Also the brakes tend to wear out fast on the front and rotors warp quick. (All GMs seem to do this) I love the body style it is timeless and the 4.3 is a great little engine, but I really dislike the plastic coolant outlet valve on the radiator. Apart from these things shes done me great. Reliable as hell. Wind noise is bad.

3rd and LAST S-10
By Carlos on 03/31/06 05:22 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

First 2 S-10s I owned were 4-cylinder 2-wheel drive. Good bang for the buck little truck, but don't expect more than 100,000 miles out of them. The last one is a 4.3 4x4. Fun truck, good power and handling, great 4-wheel drive, But wheel cylinders and ball joints are junk and need to be replaced frequently, very expensive. I have replaced all the wheel cylinders at least once at $500 each. I replace at least two ball joints every year. Other front suspension problems as well. The 100,000 mile coolant needs to be changed at 60,000 miles or your heater core will get clogged and heat will stop working. Gas gauge stopped working in last two S10s, too expensive to fix.

S-10
By jacgeo5153 on 01/21/06 16:18 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Replaced tie-rod, upper & lower ball joints (had no grease fittings), rusted fuel line (garage kept), all before the truck had 50,000 miles. It's a shame you have to payout over $2,000 for these types of repairs and you're still making payments! I've heard other similar problems with these types of GM vehicles from friends and neighbors and I got about the same (that's typical) response from most of them. Absolutely terrible gas mileage for a small truck. Just terrible! Extremely rough riding vehicle. (Teddy Roosevelt would have liked it). I don't care to drive it and I can't wait to get a new one.

Another piece of GM Junk
By Tom Bates on 12/02/05 12:37 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Door hinges wore out after only two years. I have had leaks in the truck since day one. It couldn't get out of its own shadow, even on a down hill run. It is a base model so there are no electric components to give me any issues(electric locks, windows, etc).

Not bad considering...
By ChevyOwner on 08/31/05 21:47 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've been mostly pleased with my S-10. The biggest problems have been having to replace both front wheel bearings twice--apparently a design flaw that has cost me $2400. And the gas gauge has stopped working and I can't see putting another $700 to replace the fuel sending unit to get it to work. Other than that, all major mechanical systems have continued to function to my expectations. It has 94,000 miles and starts every morning without a problem.

ZR2 upkeep disappointing
By turbo7106 on 02/25/05 13:30 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck with only 9,000k when one yr old. To date have had following problems: 10k drivers wiper stopped moving,tighten nut. 12k ignition module replaced as truck would not start at times. Throttle body sticking, cleaned twice. Leaks in Oil cooler lines and Pwr Steering pump line. $1,000 repair for the leaks. Should have bought the extended warranty. Not happy with repairs I have had to do. Loved GM all my life, not sure if I will buy another GM product.

Great Reliable Vehicle
By chevy4life on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck as used with only 36,000 miles and am still driving it with zero problems. The only maintenance I've had to do is the usual oil change and air filter change. I definitely got my moneys worth.

Not overly impressed
By Stevie-P on 05/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought this truck to replace an aging Lumina 18 months ago. In that time I've put 33K on it, with little problem. Replaced a throttle position sensor around 70K miles ($145). However, replacing a fuel pump is NOT cheap. The pump itself is $530, not to mention the premium price that GM dealerships garner.