Used 2000 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

3rd and LAST S-10
By Carlos

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

First 2 S-10s I owned were 4-cylinder 2-wheel drive. Good bang for the buck little truck, but don't expect more than 100,000 miles out of them. The last one is a 4.3 4x4. Fun truck, good power and handling, great 4-wheel drive, But wheel cylinders and ball joints are junk and need to be replaced frequently, very expensive. I have replaced all the wheel cylinders at least once at $500 each. I replace at least two ball joints every year. Other front suspension problems as well. The 100,000 mile coolant needs to be changed at 60,000 miles or your heater core will get clogged and heat will stop working. Gas gauge stopped working in last two S10s, too expensive to fix.

Favorite Features

Looks, handling, power, push button 4x4.

Suggested Improvements

Wheel cylinders, ball joints, front suspension, coolant, fuel gauge...junk!

S-10
By jacgeo5153

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Replaced tie-rod, upper & lower ball joints (had no grease fittings), rusted fuel line (garage kept), all before the truck had 50,000 miles. It's a shame you have to payout over $2,000 for these types of repairs and you're still making payments! I've heard other similar problems with these types of GM vehicles from friends and neighbors and I got about the same (that's typical) response from most of them. Absolutely terrible gas mileage for a small truck. Just terrible! Extremely rough riding vehicle. (Teddy Roosevelt would have liked it). I don't care to drive it and I can't wait to get a new one.

Favorite Features

I can honestly say that I have no favorite features.

Suggested Improvements

My review would be obvious for my suggestions. I always had pride in (made in USA) products, and at age 54, I never purchased a vehicle that was not made in America. My next vehicle will have another name besides Ford, GM or Chrysler, unfortunately!

Not overly impressed
By Stevie-P

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought this truck to replace an aging Lumina 18 months ago. In that time I've put 33K on it, with little problem. Replaced a throttle position sensor around 70K miles ($145). However, replacing a fuel pump is NOT cheap. The pump itself is $530, not to mention the premium price that GM dealerships garner.

Favorite Features

Generally good fuel economy. Sound system and comfort controls are easy to grasp and use.

Suggested Improvements

I hope the new Colorado 4cyl improves the power that this 2.2L lacks.

Disappointed in "THE GENERAL"
By nickcon104

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I have owned my s-10 Stepside for 4 years and have had overall a good experience with my truck. The build quality is starting to show its age. The drivers door is sagging, the rear tail lights and brake lights decided to short out. The rubber window molding on the door comes loose and flaps around at high speeds. Truck is reliable and sporty looking and the interior is comfortable. I am in the market for a new vehicle but as much as I would like to stay w/a Chevy, I don't think I want to plunk down my hard earned $$ for another GM product :-(

Favorite Features

Auto sensor headlights, good looks, good MPG's (4cyl) radio stays on while ignition is off,

Suggested Improvements

Build quality is junk, electrical system is junk, too many rattles.

S-10 is an excellent choice for students
By Jonathon Simmons

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS Xtreme 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had my Xtreme S-10 truck for 1about 1 1/2 years now and I have not had any mechanical problems other than normal wear. This truck has been very reliable to me while I was in school and driving a lot of miles. I would not recommend the regular cab truck to someone who is any taller than 6 feet unless you dont mind being a little crammed. This truck is an excellent decision for a student who wants a truck that is reliable, fun to drive, looks awesome, and is relatively inexpensive.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the exterior styling and its comparitively good performance.

Suggested Improvements

Make the cab bigger, and reinforce the front valence to prevent it from being easily damaged.