2000 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Overall a good truck
By Nick on 04/30/08 05:35 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Xtreme 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck about a year and a half ago with 100,000k on it but I've owned an S-series vehicle before, so the mileage didn't bother me. I've driven it almost 40,000 miles so far and I really don't have any complaints. I only had to replace the MAF sensor and heater core, and I've done everything from auto-crossing to drag racing with it. I've put it through its paces thousands of times and it hasn't given up on me yet. It is definitely a truck that is decently easy to work on if something goes wrong. I've averaged around 20-21 mpg driving 50% city/highway. It's decent for a v6 truck.

just junk
By eric on 04/14/08 09:38 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This truck is a piece of junk. At 44,000 miles I had to replace the water pump. At 46,000 I had to replace the trans. The handle for the seat to recline broke soon after I bought it. I also had to replace the breaks at 25,000 miles. My wife has a 01 f150 that pulls a fifth wheel and it had 60,000 before the breaks went out. Also with 100,000 miles the trany is still going strong. My son has a 87 f150 and has less problems than I am having with this piece of junk. He has 250,000 and his trany is still going strong. This is my last Chevy, going back to Ford. Like a rock my foot.

Like A Crock
By Randy on 04/07/08 06:40 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have sincerely tried to convince myself to stay with American made vehicles. Sorry Chevy, you are the best thing that has happened to Toyota trucks. I'm done. Before I hit 100k I have gone thru 2 gm fuel pumps, 3 sets of wheel bearings, oil cooling lines, heater core, u-joints at 45k, 2 handles for the 3rd door, seat recliner handles snapped off, headlight mounting assembly cracked, countless rotors, 3 times stranded and towed. Handle for rear slider window broke. Tailgate rusting last year. Interior fit and finish sucks-evrything makes noise. Tranny whine at 90k. 4 wheel drive has been reliable and works flawlessly. Motor is powerful.

Good truck but not a Toyota
By FAIRLY GOOD TRUCK on 03/04/08 21:14 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab LB

Originally bought the truck with 60K. It has been used to carry construction tools including a generator and compressors for the next 40K. The truck is a turtle when empty and a slug fully loaded! Power is pathetic, but gas mileage is good. I have not had no major problems other than the typical fuel pump go out (90k)$300 pop and the inconveniance of having to remove the bed to do so. Shock of course and an anoying oil leak from the rear main seal. Clutch has never been replaced and still strong (I only use it on firt gear). Oh yes the door bushings are junk! replaced at $15 and oil montly, the door spring is a pain to replace. No other major problems. I guess I have been lucky!

looks good but falls apart
By johnson on 01/26/08 13:17 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

it started out great and offroad capability is great... started to fall apart about a month after having it. had about 7000 dollars in repairs including a new engine, rear end, seals, bearings, water pump, alternator, cooler lines, oil pump lines, O2 sensor, and had a bad moisture problem that leaked water into the passenger floor mats... had lots of problems with the third door... vacuum pump went out twice.. would never get one again and couldn't wait to get rid of it!

Owner
By Lowbo on 11/14/07 10:40 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Xtreme 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Since the day I drove it off the lot I've enjoyed the ride, Sleek running always a head turner. Will never sell this truck. I utilized this truck as if it was a big hauling truck. Hauled trailers and boats with it and it keeps on running. Only problem I had with it was an Oil cooler line break 2 years ago. Other than that great set of wheels.

I love this truck
By Zack on 10/13/07 22:38 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I love this truck. I have a small lawn service and this truck has never had a problem with my trailer, or any thing else, even with a load of mulch at the same time. The only problem I have had with the truck is since I am the second owner of the truck and the first was my grandfather and it was never really used in 4 wheel drive and we had to replace almost the entire system (costly)

Dependable
By Virginian on 05/23/07 10:11 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought the truck with 5K miles on it from a young couple having their first baby. I have almost 140K on it and it has been the most depenable daily driver I have owned. I knew about the potential ball joint problems and had grease inserts put in. I replaced the shocks at 50K,not because they were bad. Light trucks tend to fish tail over gravel and wash boards and I wanted better stability. I had the rotors turned and new pads put on at 75K, and the lower balls joints replaced at 135K. At 104K I changed the plugs, plug wires, flushed the radiator, replaced the lube in the transmission and rear end. Other than normal maintenance nothing else has failed. Oh, I replaced the battery.

Looks cool, but that's about it.
By Scott on 05/21/07 08:07 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is a cool looking truck because of the big tires and how high it sits. However, I have had this car for about a year and have spent over $5,000 in repairs. The whole front end needed to be replaced, body fell apart rapidly, and truck makes all kinds of funny noises. Truck look very nice when it was purchased, now I am almost embarressed to drive it.

2000 ZR2 crumbling away
By MrGNMan on 01/02/07 09:05 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Purchased new and maintained religiously by dealer and me. All highway mileage with 75000 on original tires. Got brakes had to replace all 4 rotors? Couldn't even cut them once! Dealer replaced intake gasket with a better design from GM. I have to pay! Transmission had corroded sensors and actuaters $1000 just for parts! Last 6 months $3200. in repairs which should not have been necessary! Had an '89 S10 4x4 that had 275k on it and still was running strong when I sold it for a newer, "better" truck. I'm sure that truck is still going strong. The dealer wants to sell me another truck as a solution! Not!