Used 2000 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Not to bad
By Doug

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

For as cheap as these trucks are they aren't that bad. Third door handle broke but i found a metal replacement online for 35 bucks. Never had any major problems besides tierods and wheel bearings. $ cylinder is a bit sluggish but haven't had any problems. Definitely a cheap build though. Bought it for $4500 when it was 7 years old. Has been rusting out though due to Michigan weather, cab corner, third door, and rear wheel wheels. Both seat levers did break off but found replacements at autozon for like 30 each.

third door handle, seat lever, more power, stick to the v6

A bullet proof Chevy
By Johnny B

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Completely reliable, at least for me, without fail. Not once. I've had her for about 2 years and 31,000 miles, and the only times I've ver been stranded were because of tire problems, and once because of a dead battery. (when I first purchased the truck) it's not fast or flashy, but it gets very good fuel economy, especially if you drive conservatively. When I do I believe I get about 26-27 mpg. Sound system is nothing amazing, but leaves nothing to be wanted either. Abs has always worked properly for me and saved me from a few near-wrecks. This truck is fun on gravel, and good at light off-roading which I have done my fair share of. Simple, effective engineering and a good looking truck.

reliability, fuel economy, third door, and fairly ample storage in bed and extended cab area. also good ground clearance which is nice for rough roads, driveways, etc.

More power is the only thing I can think of, the 2.2 usually gives you plenty to do everyday things, but say you have a/c on and are going up a ramp to get on the highway, you have to floor the sucker. Other than that, perfect for everyday needs. I love this truck.

great but not awesome
By Brian

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought truck new and let me tell you, If you ever owned a Fiero this truck is a Godsend. Yes I have had some problems...driver side seat lever snapped (pot metal design) I have had the ball joints replaced and the fuel relay. also the heater core clogged but I blew it out with some water. the only annoying thing is the abs , which activates in dry weather...pulled the fuse..no abs but who needs abs it is useless anyhow...I think I have had one time this truck didn't start in 10 years..cause of the fuel relay..to me that is a dependable truck..the rest I can deal with.

Not getting stuck in the snow, not many major problems, starting every day for 10 years.

stop using cheap metal . my third door is starting to rust out and the seat handle broke off. need to fix that abs issue or do away with abs altogether. one last little thing..no after market speakers fit into the dash according to crutchfield..

Typical GM Quality Product
By Tom Bates

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Things held together for the first 36,000 thousand miles. Door hinge pins fell out right at the time the warranty ran out. Then slowly things have been breaking and falling apart. A seat adjustment lever here and there a blower motor, here a short, there a short, gas gauge stuck on 3/4 of a tank. The A/C has one speed and that is on. At least it is working, so does the cigarette lighter.

Light weight .....makes it easy to push when something going wrong or shorts out.

Mandatory recycling after 60,000 miles with a 5 cent deposit return like they do on plastic bottles.

Third Major Repair in Two Years
By Will

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Where should I start? Overall, the 2000 S-10 is a strong workhorse and looks good. Here's my dilemma since purchasing the truck with 100,000 miles on it. Last year, the transmission went out at 160k miles, next the third door handle broke ($140 repair and still feels like it's gonna break again), the alternator died this summer, radiator broke, and the starter died as well. Not knowing what the previous owner did as far as maintenence, but for a 6 year old truck it has left me stranded again...blown engine as a result of the heater core fizzin' out!! Oh, did I mention the $2600 transmission rebuild last year also? I love GM cars, but I'm having second thoughts!

Durable truck bed, exterior features, withstands the elements, comfortable, roomy interior extended cab

Consider better transmission, ball joints (wheel popped off this year), heater core, knobs and handles. Stereo system (Bass stinks when played at loud volume)