Used 2000 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Good Truck
By black s10

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my s10 with 94k. after i bought it the alternator went out. i replaced front pads, rotors, and wheel bearings at 100k. new tires and front ball joints followed at 130k. i've replaced the fuel pump twice. the truck now has 160k with no signs of stopping. its a dependable truck. parts can be pricey but with proper care, the truck will last as long as you want it to. gas mileage is great, its under powered with the 4cyl, but id prefer the gas mileage over the acceleration. if planning on lowering it like i did, be prepared for suspension components to fail.

Favorite Features

styling, gas mileage, enormous selection of aftermarket styling options.

Suggested Improvements

increase the 4 cylinder horsepower. its a straight slug from the start.

Overall a good truck
By Nick

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS Xtreme 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck about a year and a half ago with 100,000k on it but I've owned an S-series vehicle before, so the mileage didn't bother me. I've driven it almost 40,000 miles so far and I really don't have any complaints. I only had to replace the MAF sensor and heater core, and I've done everything from auto-crossing to drag racing with it. I've put it through its paces thousands of times and it hasn't given up on me yet. It is definitely a truck that is decently easy to work on if something goes wrong. I've averaged around 20-21 mpg driving 50% city/highway. It's decent for a v6 truck.

Favorite Features

Xtreme came with the "ZQ8" suspension, which is stiffer and it handles great. I like the quick ratio steering box, hop shock in the rear, and ability to take a beating.

Suggested Improvements

I'd be nice to have some better seat levers, and a little more economical engine as far as gas mileage goes. And all S10 models should come standard with a limited slip differential, it'd help immensely in the snow.

just junk
By eric

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This truck is a piece of junk. At 44,000 miles I had to replace the water pump. At 46,000 I had to replace the trans. The handle for the seat to recline broke soon after I bought it. I also had to replace the breaks at 25,000 miles. My wife has a 01 f150 that pulls a fifth wheel and it had 60,000 before the breaks went out. Also with 100,000 miles the trany is still going strong. My son has a 87 f150 and has less problems than I am having with this piece of junk. He has 250,000 and his trany is still going strong. This is my last Chevy, going back to Ford. Like a rock my foot.

Favorite Features

The only thing is body and the inside.

Suggested Improvements

the whole running gear. all junk

Good truck but not a Toyota
By FAIRLY GOOD TRUCK

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab LB

Originally bought the truck with 60K. It has been used to carry construction tools including a generator and compressors for the next 40K. The truck is a turtle when empty and a slug fully loaded! Power is pathetic, but gas mileage is good. I have not had no major problems other than the typical fuel pump go out (90k)$300 pop and the inconveniance of having to remove the bed to do so. Shock of course and an anoying oil leak from the rear main seal. Clutch has never been replaced and still strong (I only use it on firt gear). Oh yes the door bushings are junk! replaced at $15 and oil montly, the door spring is a pain to replace. No other major problems. I guess I have been lucky!

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage with 5sp. Good styling. Good want to be truck

Suggested Improvements

How about putting a real truck engine inside and not the same 2200 found in the Pontiac Sunfire!

Dependable
By Virginian

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought the truck with 5K miles on it from a young couple having their first baby. I have almost 140K on it and it has been the most depenable daily driver I have owned. I knew about the potential ball joint problems and had grease inserts put in. I replaced the shocks at 50K,not because they were bad. Light trucks tend to fish tail over gravel and wash boards and I wanted better stability. I had the rotors turned and new pads put on at 75K, and the lower balls joints replaced at 135K. At 104K I changed the plugs, plug wires, flushed the radiator, replaced the lube in the transmission and rear end. Other than normal maintenance nothing else has failed. Oh, I replaced the battery.

Favorite Features

Reliability/dependability. I have driven it on several 16-18 hour trips and was comfortable the whole trip. I get 25 mpg commuting and 30 mpg on the long trips. For a truck that I paid $7400 for - it's earned my respect. Try buying something like this at that price today.

Suggested Improvements

The original Uniroyal Tiger Paw tires were horrible with even a slight bit of moisture on the ground. I thought they would never wear out. So, at 60K I replaced them anyway with Yokohamas, and am not at all dissapointed.