2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Long Hauler
By Dan S on 02/12/10 07:35 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck is a true brawler. I have a 161,000 miles on it and it feels just as strong as when I bought it. I have the 4cyl and 5spd. I have put a yard of wet top soil in the back (not recommended) and she keeps on getting it. Very good truck for the money. I have had to replace- starter, alternator, tires, spark plugs, battery and oil but this truck is strong. Handles for the seatback have snapped they are cheap but motor,drivetrain is very good.

Not to bad
By Doug on 08/06/09 13:13 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

For as cheap as these trucks are they aren't that bad. Third door handle broke but i found a metal replacement online for 35 bucks. Never had any major problems besides tierods and wheel bearings. $ cylinder is a bit sluggish but haven't had any problems. Definitely a cheap build though. Bought it for $4500 when it was 7 years old. Has been rusting out though due to Michigan weather, cab corner, third door, and rear wheel wheels. Both seat levers did break off but found replacements at autozon for like 30 each.

A bullet proof Chevy
By Johnny B on 07/31/09 21:27 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Completely reliable, at least for me, without fail. Not once. I've had her for about 2 years and 31,000 miles, and the only times I've ver been stranded were because of tire problems, and once because of a dead battery. (when I first purchased the truck) it's not fast or flashy, but it gets very good fuel economy, especially if you drive conservatively. When I do I believe I get about 26-27 mpg. Sound system is nothing amazing, but leaves nothing to be wanted either. Abs has always worked properly for me and saved me from a few near-wrecks. This truck is fun on gravel, and good at light off-roading which I have done my fair share of. Simple, effective engineering and a good looking truck.

Typical GM Quality Product
By Tom Bates on 06/10/09 10:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Things held together for the first 36,000 thousand miles. Door hinge pins fell out right at the time the warranty ran out. Then slowly things have been breaking and falling apart. A seat adjustment lever here and there a blower motor, here a short, there a short, gas gauge stuck on 3/4 of a tank. The A/C has one speed and that is on. At least it is working, so does the cigarette lighter.

Third Major Repair in Two Years
By Will on 12/13/08 14:37 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Where should I start? Overall, the 2000 S-10 is a strong workhorse and looks good. Here's my dilemma since purchasing the truck with 100,000 miles on it. Last year, the transmission went out at 160k miles, next the third door handle broke ($140 repair and still feels like it's gonna break again), the alternator died this summer, radiator broke, and the starter died as well. Not knowing what the previous owner did as far as maintenence, but for a 6 year old truck it has left me stranded again...blown engine as a result of the heater core fizzin' out!! Oh, did I mention the $2600 transmission rebuild last year also? I love GM cars, but I'm having second thoughts!

Another piece of GM Junk
By Tom Bates on 12/02/05 12:37 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Door hinges wore out after only two years. I have had leaks in the truck since day one. It couldn't get out of its own shadow, even on a down hill run. It is a base model so there are no electric components to give me any issues(electric locks, windows, etc).

Great Reliable Vehicle
By chevy4life on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck as used with only 36,000 miles and am still driving it with zero problems. The only maintenance I've had to do is the usual oil change and air filter change. I definitely got my moneys worth.

The best truck for value
By kha46043 on 03/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I was in an accident with this truck and it saved my life. (I was rearended) There was alot of engineering genius in protecting vital areas of the truck. I was able to drive away. It is a tough truck that lives up to the slogan "built like a rock". When I have to get a new vehicle in the way distant future I will get another truck from GM!

this truck owns
By tj sullivan on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

every thing owns and it looks great

My Wolf
By obergeil on 09/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

The only problem I've had with my little S-10 is that on two occasions my foot has slipped under the gas pedal and then knocked it from underneath as I pulled my foot back up. This has resulted in the accelerator cable coming free from the gas pedal. I'm not sure who came up with the design for this assemblage but it seems flawed and potentially dangerous.