Used 2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Will Not Die
By cole_dizzle

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have about 230,000 miles on mine.
The transmission is starting to go on it, but it was a great little truck.
I bought it for $5500 in 2006, with about 130,000 miles, and have been pretty hard on it since then, with no major repairs. Very pleased.

Decent engine, fairly powerful, Smooth ride.

Highway mpg is closer to 20 with the V6, could be better. Horrible in snow or ice, but most trucks are without some extra weight in the bed, interior is a little cheap.

Long Hauler
By Dan S

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck is a true brawler. I have a 161,000 miles on it and it feels just as strong as when I bought it. I have the 4cyl and 5spd. I have put a yard of wet top soil in the back (not recommended) and she keeps on getting it. Very good truck for the money. I have had to replace- starter, alternator, tires, spark plugs, battery and oil but this truck is strong. Handles for the seatback have snapped they are cheap but motor,drivetrain is very good.

5 speed manual

Fix seatback adjustment and third door handle - cheap

I must have got a good one
By Colorado ZR2

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I lucked out and got a good one! The GM shop must have give out bonus checks the morning before this little truck was made. 193,500 miles with no major mechanical problems. Truck does have several small problems but nothing that takes the fun out of driving this "Z". The 4x4 system is great, 5 speed with the ZR2 limited slip, truck will go anywhere in the snow. Interior held up well, seats were covered and look new. No cracks in the dash, all the knobs and buttons still work. The stock rims did break between the lug nuts. I had to sell this truck today because I need more room for a new baby. Wish I could keep it but I bought a new Tundra Crewmax

ZR2 package Dash Torque! 4x4 low easy to drive and Fun to drive. Will go anywhere, I beat the snot out of this truck and it held up thanks to my aggressive maintenance routine.

GM no longer makes S10's so recalls and warranty issues will be on your dime. Don't buy one, there are LOTS of problems with the S10. Go with a Tacoma TRD if you want a midsize off road truck you will save $$ in the long run. Check the S10 online forums before you buy. I lucked out with mine.

Sixth S10
By MH

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

I've had six S10s - 2 poor, 2 OK, 2 excellent. My current 2000 model has been one of the excellent ones. After 10 years and 113K miles I still love it. 4cyl/5spd averages 25mpg regularly. AC still cold! Travels off road with an occasional light trailer tow. Replaced: a headlight lamp, one set of brakes, shocks and battery. Currently having all 100K mile maintenance done, including tie rods replaced.($1900) I plan on keeping this truck a while longer. I like a plain, cheap truck that works and the S10 fits the bill. Mine has no PW/PL, no 3rd door to rattle, room enough for a 6'4" driver. The only extra is the sound system. I'd buy another new one if I could. Just don't like the Colorado.

Extended cab, headroom and mileage. Better std. transmission and clutch than previous models.

Seats, sound system.

Not to bad
By Doug

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

For as cheap as these trucks are they aren't that bad. Third door handle broke but i found a metal replacement online for 35 bucks. Never had any major problems besides tierods and wheel bearings. $ cylinder is a bit sluggish but haven't had any problems. Definitely a cheap build though. Bought it for $4500 when it was 7 years old. Has been rusting out though due to Michigan weather, cab corner, third door, and rear wheel wheels. Both seat levers did break off but found replacements at autozon for like 30 each.

third door handle, seat lever, more power, stick to the v6