Used 2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Long Hauler
By Dan S

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck is a true brawler. I have a 161,000 miles on it and it feels just as strong as when I bought it. I have the 4cyl and 5spd. I have put a yard of wet top soil in the back (not recommended) and she keeps on getting it. Very good truck for the money. I have had to replace- starter, alternator, tires, spark plugs, battery and oil but this truck is strong. Handles for the seatback have snapped they are cheap but motor,drivetrain is very good.

5 speed manual

Fix seatback adjustment and third door handle - cheap

Not to bad
By Doug

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

For as cheap as these trucks are they aren't that bad. Third door handle broke but i found a metal replacement online for 35 bucks. Never had any major problems besides tierods and wheel bearings. $ cylinder is a bit sluggish but haven't had any problems. Definitely a cheap build though. Bought it for $4500 when it was 7 years old. Has been rusting out though due to Michigan weather, cab corner, third door, and rear wheel wheels. Both seat levers did break off but found replacements at autozon for like 30 each.

third door handle, seat lever, more power, stick to the v6

A bullet proof Chevy
By Johnny B

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Completely reliable, at least for me, without fail. Not once. I've had her for about 2 years and 31,000 miles, and the only times I've ver been stranded were because of tire problems, and once because of a dead battery. (when I first purchased the truck) it's not fast or flashy, but it gets very good fuel economy, especially if you drive conservatively. When I do I believe I get about 26-27 mpg. Sound system is nothing amazing, but leaves nothing to be wanted either. Abs has always worked properly for me and saved me from a few near-wrecks. This truck is fun on gravel, and good at light off-roading which I have done my fair share of. Simple, effective engineering and a good looking truck.

reliability, fuel economy, third door, and fairly ample storage in bed and extended cab area. also good ground clearance which is nice for rough roads, driveways, etc.

More power is the only thing I can think of, the 2.2 usually gives you plenty to do everyday things, but say you have a/c on and are going up a ramp to get on the highway, you have to floor the sucker. Other than that, perfect for everyday needs. I love this truck.

Typical GM Quality Product
By Tom Bates

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Things held together for the first 36,000 thousand miles. Door hinge pins fell out right at the time the warranty ran out. Then slowly things have been breaking and falling apart. A seat adjustment lever here and there a blower motor, here a short, there a short, gas gauge stuck on 3/4 of a tank. The A/C has one speed and that is on. At least it is working, so does the cigarette lighter.

Light weight .....makes it easy to push when something going wrong or shorts out.

Mandatory recycling after 60,000 miles with a 5 cent deposit return like they do on plastic bottles.

Third Major Repair in Two Years
By Will

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Where should I start? Overall, the 2000 S-10 is a strong workhorse and looks good. Here's my dilemma since purchasing the truck with 100,000 miles on it. Last year, the transmission went out at 160k miles, next the third door handle broke ($140 repair and still feels like it's gonna break again), the alternator died this summer, radiator broke, and the starter died as well. Not knowing what the previous owner did as far as maintenence, but for a 6 year old truck it has left me stranded again...blown engine as a result of the heater core fizzin' out!! Oh, did I mention the $2600 transmission rebuild last year also? I love GM cars, but I'm having second thoughts!

Durable truck bed, exterior features, withstands the elements, comfortable, roomy interior extended cab

Consider better transmission, ball joints (wheel popped off this year), heater core, knobs and handles. Stereo system (Bass stinks when played at loud volume)