Used 2000 Chevrolet S-10 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Sixth S10
By MH

2000 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab SB

I've had six S10s - 2 poor, 2 OK, 2 excellent. My current 2000 model has been one of the excellent ones. After 10 years and 113K miles I still love it. 4cyl/5spd averages 25mpg regularly. AC still cold! Travels off road with an occasional light trailer tow. Replaced: a headlight lamp, one set of brakes, shocks and battery. Currently having all 100K mile maintenance done, including tie rods replaced.($1900) I plan on keeping this truck a while longer. I like a plain, cheap truck that works and the S10 fits the bill. Mine has no PW/PL, no 3rd door to rattle, room enough for a 6'4" driver. The only extra is the sound system. I'd buy another new one if I could. Just don't like the Colorado.

Favorite Features

Extended cab, headroom and mileage. Better std. transmission and clutch than previous models.

Suggested Improvements

Seats, sound system.

Stephen review
By Stephen

2000 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have driven this vehicle throughout Germany. I love the truck. It has been 100% reliable. Problems I had were as follows: The recline handles on both seats broke before 30000 miles becuase of substandard metal used where they scew onto. The truck wants to slide easy and traction is not good, despite the tires. After 140,000 I still don't burn oil, I am religious on changes. Also the brakes tend to wear out fast on the front and rotors warp quick. (All GMs seem to do this) I love the body style it is timeless and the 4.3 is a great little engine, but I really dislike the plastic coolant outlet valve on the radiator. Apart from these things shes done me great. Reliable as hell. Wind noise is bad.

Favorite Features

I like the neat ness of the body design, the engine and transmission compliment each outher in shifting and power. It's easy to service the vehicle and the steering is perfect for driving. She rides nice and takes corners well.

Suggested Improvements

Cut down on the wind noise. Build better seat handles. The hose on my truck from the coolant overflow caught fire after I washed the engine and it shorted with the right side ABS front bumper sensor harness,was a freak accident I hope. The door hinges need redesigned as door hangs and roller wears.

Nice Truck
By N2deeptn

2000 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab SB

Got a 3 year lease. I have never had to put it in the shop for anything. Nothing has been replaced in 3 years of daily driving, not even the tires.

Favorite Features

CD player, nice wheels