Used 2000 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

GREAT TRUCK
By Rick

2000 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my 2000 Chevy S10 regular cab truck in 2003 and I STILL have it in 2016... It had 12,000 miles on it when I bought it & has 148,000 now.... I"ve replaced a battery & and alternator. OVERALL, I love this truck... It isn't the greatest mileage (low 20's) for a 4 cylinder 5 speed, but it has been mega dependable... AND I DO tow with this truck My trailer is 16'long x 6' wide & I have FILLED it with thousands of bricks and yeah, it's lugging along, but she DOES THE JOB... I'm not planning on getting another truck... I hear stories about newer vehicles & am NOT thrilled with the quality... OH.... I see even newer trucks where the clear coat is peeling & flaking.. I live in Phoenix AZ and I STILL have my nice shine.... THIS truck has been great for me. I would NOT want the larger engine... due to lower gas mileage. I don't drive like a race driver... and I have NO problems merging onto freeways safely at the current speeds... I bought mine at auto auction for $1,200 yes $1,200.

Will Not Die
By cole_dizzle

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have about 230,000 miles on mine.
The transmission is starting to go on it, but it was a great little truck.
I bought it for $5500 in 2006, with about 130,000 miles, and have been pretty hard on it since then, with no major repairs. Very pleased.

Decent engine, fairly powerful, Smooth ride.

Highway mpg is closer to 20 with the V6, could be better. Horrible in snow or ice, but most trucks are without some extra weight in the bed, interior is a little cheap.

Long Hauler
By Dan S

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck is a true brawler. I have a 161,000 miles on it and it feels just as strong as when I bought it. I have the 4cyl and 5spd. I have put a yard of wet top soil in the back (not recommended) and she keeps on getting it. Very good truck for the money. I have had to replace- starter, alternator, tires, spark plugs, battery and oil but this truck is strong. Handles for the seatback have snapped they are cheap but motor,drivetrain is very good.

5 speed manual

Fix seatback adjustment and third door handle - cheap

Good Truck
By black s10

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my s10 with 94k. after i bought it the alternator went out. i replaced front pads, rotors, and wheel bearings at 100k. new tires and front ball joints followed at 130k. i've replaced the fuel pump twice. the truck now has 160k with no signs of stopping. its a dependable truck. parts can be pricey but with proper care, the truck will last as long as you want it to. gas mileage is great, its under powered with the 4cyl, but id prefer the gas mileage over the acceleration. if planning on lowering it like i did, be prepared for suspension components to fail.

styling, gas mileage, enormous selection of aftermarket styling options.

increase the 4 cylinder horsepower. its a straight slug from the start.

I must have got a good one
By Colorado ZR2

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I lucked out and got a good one! The GM shop must have give out bonus checks the morning before this little truck was made. 193,500 miles with no major mechanical problems. Truck does have several small problems but nothing that takes the fun out of driving this "Z". The 4x4 system is great, 5 speed with the ZR2 limited slip, truck will go anywhere in the snow. Interior held up well, seats were covered and look new. No cracks in the dash, all the knobs and buttons still work. The stock rims did break between the lug nuts. I had to sell this truck today because I need more room for a new baby. Wish I could keep it but I bought a new Tundra Crewmax

ZR2 package Dash Torque! 4x4 low easy to drive and Fun to drive. Will go anywhere, I beat the snot out of this truck and it held up thanks to my aggressive maintenance routine.

GM no longer makes S10's so recalls and warranty issues will be on your dime. Don't buy one, there are LOTS of problems with the S10. Go with a Tacoma TRD if you want a midsize off road truck you will save $$ in the long run. Check the S10 online forums before you buy. I lucked out with mine.