Used 1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Favorite truck
By uncle dave

1999 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought with 89k miles on it. Now pushing 128. Only problems other than general maint. were universal joint at 110k and tps at 127k.Have had more people comment on this truck than my BMW.With 4 cyl. it's no hot rod, but it gets me to work every day without fail and averages 21-22 mpg around town. Will drive it till it dies or I do.

Style, reliability, comfort.

An LT1 would be nice, but then the gas mileage would suffer.

Will Never Get Another Chevy
By Michael

1999 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

My favorite thing about this truck was selling it! It was a "nice" looking truck, but every time I took it in for a relatively simple thing, several other problems would always emerge. Truck was always well taken care of. At 80000, I had to replace the starter. The seat lever handles had broken off (common), and the center console was smashed in. At about 90,000 miles, I had to take it in to get the transmission rebuilt. At 100,000 miles, it needed new a new idler arm on the drivers side and a set of new shocks. At 110,000, had to replace rear shocks again, replace cross link, and valve cover. The truck got poor mileage and was totally GUTLESS! Low horsepower. Happy to sell is last week!!

OK looking body and I liked the grab handle on the dash on the passengers side. Electronically reliable. I also liked the option to be able to disengage the passenger airbag.

GM needs to get the act together! Fix the common valve cover issue and the weak seat lever handles. Do whatever Toyota seems to be doing....

Glad I have another truck that runs
By j willey

1999 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

With less than 100,000 miles and already on its second motor and needing a transmission, I am very dissapointed with the quality of this truck. The mechanicals are poor, the ride is not bad, the interior falls apart and has more rattles than a box of nails. I am afraid to put the windows down after having them work going down every time but a guessing game when going back up.

It has more power than my Ranger, but at no gain if I don't want to drive it because it is a poorly built truck.

Somebody at GM needs to stop building thier cars and trucks with "cost cutting" written all over them. The quality reflects it in every way. Does anyone at GM understand that people will spend hours, miles, relationships, vacations, memories, etc... in their cars?

S 10 are too avg.
By Saint79

1999 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

The truck is extremely boring! The engine lacked power, the stereo lacked umph, and I just don't like the way the look.

Not Sure

New body styling.

I LOVE my Truck!
By malinche

1999 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought it based on the 3rd door and the color (indigo blue)--yeah, it is a "girl" thing, but I am from a true Chevy family (5 Chevy cars, truck, SUV's from the same dealer) and my getting it was no-brainer. I live in the Bay Area and the V6 has served me well go up and down hills. I drive A LOT to SoCal and it is a comfortable drive. I've have had no maintenance problems other then normal wear and tear. I will buy another truck.

Cruise control on the long drives is great; V6 has a nice kick, 3rd door is great feature and comfortable!

Doors on both sides. Get rid of the "hump" in the extra cab's floor so I can store more stuff.