1999 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Favorite truck
By uncle dave on 06/08/10 16:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought with 89k miles on it. Now pushing 128. Only problems other than general maint. were universal joint at 110k and tps at 127k.Have had more people comment on this truck than my BMW.With 4 cyl. it's no hot rod, but it gets me to work every day without fail and averages 21-22 mpg around town. Will drive it till it dies or I do.

Will Never Get Another Chevy
By Michael on 12/13/09 00:24 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

My favorite thing about this truck was selling it! It was a "nice" looking truck, but every time I took it in for a relatively simple thing, several other problems would always emerge. Truck was always well taken care of. At 80000, I had to replace the starter. The seat lever handles had broken off (common), and the center console was smashed in. At about 90,000 miles, I had to take it in to get the transmission rebuilt. At 100,000 miles, it needed new a new idler arm on the drivers side and a set of new shocks. At 110,000, had to replace rear shocks again, replace cross link, and valve cover. The truck got poor mileage and was totally GUTLESS! Low horsepower. Happy to sell is last week!!

Glad I have another truck that runs
By j willey on 08/31/06 18:45 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

With less than 100,000 miles and already on its second motor and needing a transmission, I am very dissapointed with the quality of this truck. The mechanicals are poor, the ride is not bad, the interior falls apart and has more rattles than a box of nails. I am afraid to put the windows down after having them work going down every time but a guessing game when going back up.

S 10 are too avg.
By Saint79 on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

The truck is extremely boring! The engine lacked power, the stereo lacked umph, and I just don't like the way the look.

I LOVE my Truck!
By malinche on 07/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought it based on the 3rd door and the color (indigo blue)--yeah, it is a "girl" thing, but I am from a true Chevy family (5 Chevy cars, truck, SUV's from the same dealer) and my getting it was no-brainer. I live in the Bay Area and the V6 has served me well go up and down hills. I drive A LOT to SoCal and it is a comfortable drive. I've have had no maintenance problems other then normal wear and tear. I will buy another truck.

S10
By KRC on 06/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

The interior seat adjustment levers both broke with normal use. Other than that built well and very reliable.

This Ain't Like The Old S-10's
By MGDguy on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I've have owned a '89 S-10 Reg Cab 4cyl/5spd, a '91 S-10 Reg Cab 4cyl/5spd, and now a '99 S-10 Ext Cab 6cyl/5spd, and by far I liked the two older ones the best. The '99 I've owned for only 9 months and I already want to get rid of it. Sqeaks and rattles while driving down the street, not to mention the automatic headlights, the radio that stays on after the ignition is turned off, and the interior light that comes on after removing the ignition key are too much. Plus the fact that the newer S-10 are cheaply built. This is by far the worst S-10 I've owned. Do yourself a favorite if you want a S-10 buy one that's pre-94.

This Ain't Like The Old S-10's
By boogerathome on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

S-10
By Jason Lieu on 01/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Ive owned my s-10 for about 7 months and i really enjoy it. I have done a few mods and it really makes me enjoy it alot more. Although with most new vehicles There is to much brakable plastic.Also to do any engine work is really a pain that needs alot of special tools, which gets annoying but after your done it the day is over.

Great Truck
By cbb8490 on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought by S-10 new and have put 90,000 miles on it in 3 years.I have put this truck through some hard driving and have had no problems at all. With the 2.2L I obvioulsly don't have the power but I knew that before I bought the truck. The only problem I have had is the reclining lever has broke on both seats but that seems to be the case with most reviews, I agree this should be a recall and GM should replace the contraption all together. But an overall great ride and dependable. The is my 2nd S-10 I also had a '97 that I put 60,000 miles on. I would not hesitate to buy another. But I think I will go with the 4.3L next time.