1998 Chevrolet S-10 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - I'm dissapointed !

1998 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Review

Base Regular Cab Pickup (2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

I'm dissapointed !
By Ray Parker on

1998 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

I've always had problems with the side seat handles that allow the seat to be reclined. They have been replaced three times and still don't work. The passenger compartment is much too small. The cheap plastic that GM uses for the interior is awful. The transmission was overhauled at 40000 miles. But I had to complain for two years that it was continually slipping before they fixed it under the extended warranty. It worked fine for about a year but started slipping again. I took the S-10 in before the extended warranty had expired and had it checked. They did nothing. Now that my warranty has expired, they want $2000 to repair it. Brakes are weak.

Favorite Features

Engine is solid and trouble free. Paint is good. Great alloy wheels. Gas mileage = 23 highway. Steering is very good and ride is exceptional. Factory tires went 90000 miles. Even though the seat adjustments are horrible, the seats themselves are solid and reasonably comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the transmission, use better interior materials, fix the brake problems