1998 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Review: Good companion, but not made w

1998 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Review

1998 Chevrolet S-10

Good companion, but not made well enough
By Jumperus on

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Purchased this truck in 1998 and I inherited it in 2000 as my only vehicle and daily driver. It has run fairly well and performed as I needed, but my experiences have been similar to others'. Seat handle broken (by a thief who smashed the window, however), front grille plastic has cracked and had to be safety wired back together. Alternator replaced, battery replaced, hole in the radiator, water pump replaced, A/C compressor leak, some intermittent starting issues, oil and transmission pan seepage. For a 9 year old inexpensive truck, it's performed adequately. Little power, but nimble enough in my hands. Good beater, decent to drive, but not made very well.

Roomy enough for me (5'10", 200), nice size, simple but classy design. Respectable gas mileage (19-21 at 70% highway, 30% streets).

Horrible oil filter location, too many poor quality parts (plastic especially), not quite enough power in the 4 cylinder. Granted, it's largely moot now that the vehicle's out of production, but I'm mostly writing this as a memorial to my soon-to-be retired friend.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review