Used 1998 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

just okay
By done with GM

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

It runs most of the time the mileage isn't bad and it's appearance is acceptable. I feel the performance is poor even for a 4 cylinder. I have had problems with the plug wires when it is raining and the wires get wet. It refuses to start if the temp. is below 10 degrees. The wipers only work sometimes. The lumbar support broke the day I bought it and of course the seat adjustment handle broke shortly thereafter. I don't think I'll buy GM again mostly due to GM's fairly consistent failure to acknowledge common design flaws and fix them at a resonable cost to the consumer.

Favorite Features

the radio/cd player

Suggested Improvements

Improvements-seats that don't fall apart, wipers that work, relocate coil pack/plug wires to top of engine compartment, provide better service at the dealership service dept.

perfect
By Greendayhbt26

1998 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

i have the 4 cyl with the 5 speed tranny, and all i got to say is it has incredable gas milage and pretty good acclerartion/power. the only problems i have had so far were that my wiper module had to be replaced which wasnt big, and just tonight i found out both my back up lamps arent working. other then that its been great. i bought it with about 33,000 miles on it and it looked new. everytime i change my oil, it looks like its just been changed, ver clean engine. so far the paint is great, very few scratches for being 5 years old, and the only rust is on the undercarrage.

Favorite Features

everything, great interior layout

Suggested Improvements

adjustable height seats, bigger stock tires, higher ride

Rock solid
By Cabron2891

1998 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have owned this truck for almost 3 years. I've owned fords and dodges, and neither one has come close to being as reliable as my chevy. Where I'm from, I see alot more S-10's than fords and dodges combined.

Favorite Features

The automatic headlights, its not something you'd expect to find in a domestic compact truck.

Suggested Improvements

A smoother ride would be appreciated. As well as a little more power for the four cylinder model

Aggravating seats
By Robert Denney

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

No problems with the engine, transmission, or rear end. V-6 Vortec engine runs good and has plenty of power. Front driver seat is poorly designed. I have replaced the seat adjusters twice, and the backrest adjustment is broke again. None of the drivers weigh over 150lbs. The lumber adjustment is broken. Just recently had problems with rust in the gas tank. Turns out the tank is completely rusted, and had to be shot peened and recoated. Ruined two fuel pumps before the problem was properly diagnosed and corrected. I did not expect these kinds of problems with less than 55000 miles on the truck.

Favorite Features

Engine and 4 speed transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Better seat adjusters. I think newer models have already gone to a plastic gas tank.

s-10
By the pimp

1998 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

extreamly nice good well rounded