1998 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
98 S-10 Ext Cab Pickup
By hoch2820 on 03/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Original truck was 1.06 inches lower on left side. After much stalling, and finally arbitration, GM replaced w/truck that was 0.8 inches lower! Performance OK. Engine much smoother than '92. Brake problems persist. Had to replace pads & turn front rotors at 19,400 miles, at my own expense. Construction somewhat shoddy (poor fitup in sheet metal on roof).

Hmmmmmm.....
By Matt R on 03/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

Well, I can't say I havent been totally dispointed.. But, I have owned this truck since it was brand new. I had to replace the transmission at 35,000 miles (which sucks). My wiper blades went out and than broke. But, other than that this truck has never has left be stuck somewhere. It's gets okay gas mileage. The performance sucks, it doesnt have a lot of pick up, but that is probably because I have an auto.

Nice Little Truck
By snorenore on 02/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought my truck 2 years ago, I have the 4cyl 5 speed. Has been a great truck for me, most of all because of the great fuel economy. Has some minor things that don't cause any problems, they are just annoying. Like many other S-10 owners I know the SES light is on. Have taken it in twice and they can't seem to find out what it is. It shifts nice except downshifting into third, that can be a little tricky. 80,000 miles and still going strong.

1998 ZR2
By ZR2TRUCK on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Truck does very well in snow when using 4x4. Does well off road except that it does not like to make sharp turns. However, that is expected with extended cab trucks. V6 engine has plenty of power. I had to replace the powersteering pump at 35,000 miles and the ball joints at 50,000. Good design overall, just wish that it was built better. My seat adjustors are broke, the handle to my 3rd door is broke. Fender flares are ate up and I only have 54,000 miles on the truck.

ZR2 Extended cab, 4wdr
By darrin pohlman on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 ZR2 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Oil coolant lines have leaked from about 2 months after purchasing the vehilce. Seat side levers are very poorly designed, broke off by just from the climate cahnges and vibration of the truck. Universal needed to be replaced prematurely....bad design

just okay
By done with GM on 01/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

It runs most of the time the mileage isn't bad and it's appearance is acceptable. I feel the performance is poor even for a 4 cylinder. I have had problems with the plug wires when it is raining and the wires get wet. It refuses to start if the temp. is below 10 degrees. The wipers only work sometimes. The lumbar support broke the day I bought it and of course the seat adjustment handle broke shortly thereafter. I don't think I'll buy GM again mostly due to GM's fairly consistent failure to acknowledge common design flaws and fix them at a resonable cost to the consumer.

perfect
By Greendayhbt26 on 01/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

i have the 4 cyl with the 5 speed tranny, and all i got to say is it has incredable gas milage and pretty good acclerartion/power. the only problems i have had so far were that my wiper module had to be replaced which wasnt big, and just tonight i found out both my back up lamps arent working. other then that its been great. i bought it with about 33,000 miles on it and it looked new. everytime i change my oil, it looks like its just been changed, ver clean engine. so far the paint is great, very few scratches for being 5 years old, and the only rust is on the undercarrage.

Rock solid
By Cabron2891 on 12/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have owned this truck for almost 3 years. I've owned fords and dodges, and neither one has come close to being as reliable as my chevy. Where I'm from, I see alot more S-10's than fords and dodges combined.

Aggravating seats
By Robert Denney on 11/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

No problems with the engine, transmission, or rear end. V-6 Vortec engine runs good and has plenty of power. Front driver seat is poorly designed. I have replaced the seat adjusters twice, and the backrest adjustment is broke again. None of the drivers weigh over 150lbs. The lumber adjustment is broken. Just recently had problems with rust in the gas tank. Turns out the tank is completely rusted, and had to be shot peened and recoated. Ruined two fuel pumps before the problem was properly diagnosed and corrected. I did not expect these kinds of problems with less than 55000 miles on the truck.

s-10
By the pimp on 10/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

extreamly nice good well rounded