Used 1998 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Good companion, but not made well enough
By Jumperus

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Purchased this truck in 1998 and I inherited it in 2000 as my only vehicle and daily driver. It has run fairly well and performed as I needed, but my experiences have been similar to others'. Seat handle broken (by a thief who smashed the window, however), front grille plastic has cracked and had to be safety wired back together. Alternator replaced, battery replaced, hole in the radiator, water pump replaced, A/C compressor leak, some intermittent starting issues, oil and transmission pan seepage. For a 9 year old inexpensive truck, it's performed adequately. Little power, but nimble enough in my hands. Good beater, decent to drive, but not made very well.

Roomy enough for me (5'10", 200), nice size, simple but classy design. Respectable gas mileage (19-21 at 70% highway, 30% streets).

Horrible oil filter location, too many poor quality parts (plastic especially), not quite enough power in the 4 cylinder. Granted, it's largely moot now that the vehicle's out of production, but I'm mostly writing this as a memorial to my soon-to-be retired friend.

Good Little Truck
By Truck Driver

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this new w/ 2.2L 4 cyl engine. Engine has enough power to get you around and pull a 1-ton trailer fully loaded. I get 21mpg driving 20 min to work, each way, in mixed county/city driving. 3rd door rattle and both seat levers were fixed under warranty. No ignition wiring issues so far, 8+ years and 91K miles. Oil pan leaked couple of drops when left parked for 5 days -that is how I found out. Chevy split cost of repair eventhough it was out of warranty. Windshield wipers, sometimes, take longer than normal to change speed after stalk position has been changed, annoying. Since problems were fixed to my satisfaction I bought another Chevy ('03 Avalanche) and been very happy with that.

Nice little truck. Good gas mileage, but two wheel drive is no good in minor Indiana winters.

Chevy should know better than to put shoddy seat levers. Wiper issue appears to be S/W related. It is a great truck if not for the minor issues that hamper quality ratings.

Great truck
By great truck

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased my S-10 after I drove my Neon through a very large mudpuddle and blew the engine, I figured I'd get something that can handle more abuse. and boy was I right. mine has been through everything imaginable, I have even pulled a 05 Silverado out of a ditch and continued to drag him while he applied his brakes. I have 214,000 miles on this truck (original trans and engine) Long story short, if you are in the market for a small truck get an S- 10

Everything

Windshield wiper module (pulse board) which is native to all Chevy trucks of that time frame

Last Chevy I'll Ever Buy
By floridaboy

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

This truck has been in the repair shop continuously since I purchased it. I purchased this truck with 11,000 miles. Two weeks after the warranty ran out, the CD player started sending an error message and would not load CD's. I have had to replace the fuel pump 3 times on this vehicle to the tune of 600 per pump. The pump is in the gas tank and the tank has to be dropped. The pumps themselves cost $300 to $500 depending where you buy it. I have had to replace the starter 4 times. Seriously! Faulty starters chewed up the flywheel. Another $600 repair! I have had to replace the front shocks, front and rear brakes, alternator, rear CV joint, Trans fluid. Avoid S-10's!

The truck looks good! No rust. Nice Paint. Decent gas mileage if you can keep it running! Fair performance with 4 cylinder. Comfortable seats. Good running engine so far. Fingers are crossed. That will be next. I would trade it but I already have rebuilt the truck, might as well keep it.

good truck
By kckoch

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I drive alot of highways to and from work. I take care of the oil changes every 3000 miles and the mechanic says it is in good shape to reach 200,000 miles. The only nagging problem is the security light comes on once in a while. They want $3-400 dollars to replace the security system. I prevents the truck from starting once in a while and I have to wait 20 minutes for the system to reengage to start the truck. Over all it has been a good truck fo me!

• SUV