Used 1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Great truck
By great truck

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased my S-10 after I drove my Neon through a very large mudpuddle and blew the engine, I figured I'd get something that can handle more abuse. and boy was I right. mine has been through everything imaginable, I have even pulled a 05 Silverado out of a ditch and continued to drag him while he applied his brakes. I have 214,000 miles on this truck (original trans and engine) Long story short, if you are in the market for a small truck get an S- 10

Everything

Windshield wiper module (pulse board) which is native to all Chevy trucks of that time frame

I love my S-10
By IndianaAbsentee

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck last spring because I was in a pinch and had to act fast. It has turned out to be the best vehicle I have ever owned. I use it as a daily driver, and I pull a 17' fiberglass bass boat with it frequently. The truck gets the job done, and looks great. I put a water pump in it this winter, and had some minor problems with the ignition wiring, but nothing major has gone wrong even though there are 74,000 rough miles on this truck.

I lvoe the 4.3L Vortec V6. Great torque and plenty of power to pull my boat. I like how the truck looks too.

The seats are a little stiff, and the jumpseat in the cab is a joke. I would rather have a storage bin back there, becasue that's what I use the space for anyway. Also, an option package should come with a bed cover and bed lining. I bought both post-purchase.

never buy a chevy truck
By slimmy

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck used so i can get around to and from work and haul somethings here and there. i think that the vortec V6 is a great engine, it has alot of power and it does respond good.i havent had any problems as of yet,except for the interior rattling like crazy. i have now owned a ford and a chevy and i must say that i think a ford is built much better. i never had the ford rattle and squeak like this s-10 and i hear its a common problem with them.i will tell you this i will never buy a chevy truck again.

vortec V6,interior looks good

everything except the vortec V6. if you want to buy a s-10 dont, buy something else.

Great Truck All Around
By dss70

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is my second S-10 and have been very happy with it, I have had more minor issues with this one all mentioned already. lumbar, seat adjusters, 3rd door handle and ignition wires have all broken at least once most several times dealer support varies depending on the milage. but it gets great millage for a truck always around 23mpg and handles great very comfortable. exterior remains in great shape, even after fairly heavy work use. the 4 cyl. is fine to get around but would be wise to go with 6 if you will be haulling or towing much

Extended cab gives you great added room though the jump seat doesn't provide any comfort to anyone so pretend it isn't there

Chevy needs to listen to their die hard loyal customers concerns about quality on minor parts. these simple things shouldn't break, they are poorly engineered to low tolarances. It's A truck man, lets make it stay together.

Good 4x4
By P-Ditty

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab ZR2 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Have to watch the ball joints and the oil cooler lines but my dad has a 2x4 that has 179,000 miles on the 4.3 motor and it still runs great.

High stance, good traction, super- comfortable

Radio and that is it, You take care of it and it will take care of you.