1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Aggravating seats
By Robert Denney on 11/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

No problems with the engine, transmission, or rear end. V-6 Vortec engine runs good and has plenty of power. Front driver seat is poorly designed. I have replaced the seat adjusters twice, and the backrest adjustment is broke again. None of the drivers weigh over 150lbs. The lumber adjustment is broken. Just recently had problems with rust in the gas tank. Turns out the tank is completely rusted, and had to be shot peened and recoated. Ruined two fuel pumps before the problem was properly diagnosed and corrected. I did not expect these kinds of problems with less than 55000 miles on the truck.

S10 ZR2
By Neleous on 09/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab ZR2 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This vehicle has been through everything from drag racing to off roading. The only problem I've had was the reclining handle on the drivers seat broke off. I haven't been very nice to this truck but it has treated me awesome.

No Problems
By beafreak on 06/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

The only problem that I have had is the seat back adjuster handles have both broken off. This is a common problem with this truck(there is a technical service bulletin on this). I've got as high as 27mpg on a 700 mile trip and average about 20. The 2.2L is no powerhouse but it gets the job done. I would surely buy another.

1998 S10 ZR2 Ext Cab
By Bigstik on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab ZR2 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

An extremely reliable vehicle from the day I drove it of the lot. Very limited repairs needed over the 5.5 years I have owned it. Ask your mechanic about these 4.3 liter Vortec V6 engines, he'll tell you that they are built for the long haul. I tow my 19' Sea Ray, haul mulch, furniture, and anything else that will fit in the bed, and racked up about 60,000 miles the first 2 years working the MD/VA territory - all highway, and I don't baby this truck. It still runs like the day I drove it off the lot.

Never Again!
By Allonzi on 03/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have a S10 LS extended cab with the four cylinder and manual transmission. The four cylinder is a weak engine but get very good mileage. My problems have been: 1) Interior rattling. 2) Bolt felt off exhaust manifold. 3) Seat handles on passenger and drivers side have broken off in my hand. (I got the passenger side handle fixed and it busted off again!) 4) Wipers would only work intermittently after the first year. General Motors is the largest car company in the world, you would think they would be able to make a seat where the recliner handles won't fall off!

Never buying American again.......
By exchevyman on 02/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have a 1998 Chevy S-10, 4WD extended cab, 55000mi....waste of my hard earned money. I DO NOT ABUSE THIS TRUCK. My driveshaft snapped out and dropped out my truck....please explain how this can happen? From day one nothin but problems. Interior: visor broke off in my hand, passenger seat adjustment broke off in my hand and intermittent power window problems. Exterior: wash and wax regularly and everytime I do I find chipped paint and rust spots, cracked side view mirror casing, 3rd door hand broke off in hand. Mechanical: front cv joint boot just came off, spare tire holder broke, brakes are less than par DON'T BUY THIS TRUCK!

S-10, best car ever!
By Snayperskaya on 11/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have only driven chevys and american cars and of all the cars I have owned or driven I have to say that my '98 s- 10 is the best I have ever owned. Powerful, comfortable, looks like a million bucks and above all it is very dependable. I have 98000 miles on it over four years of ownership and it has been in the shop only three times for fairly minor repairs. I have been in all types of climates and roads you can imagine, deserts, mud, dirt roads and highways. Getting groceries or camping this truck does it all. It rules!

lot of power in a small package
By TRST.NO.1 on 10/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought myself this truck for christmas last year after the trans. went out in my lumina (115,000 miles). I love this thing. the truck is perfect. except for one thing. i wish it had a tad more power from the factory. maybe a high flow exhaust or underdrive pulleys. both of which would also increase gas mileage.

Excellent Truck & "race car"
By S-10er on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck has pick-up and rides and handles like a race car. It has been extremely reliable which is a rare find now a days. Other than the regular upkeep, it has been an excellent vehicle. Excellent gas mileage too. After 4 years of driving I wouldn't trade it for any other truck.

Great 4x4 truck
By REDI on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab ZR2 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Good solid riding and handling truck. Got 19 MPG average on an 80mph trip to Colorado from California and back. Traveled 160 miles of dirt roads across N. Nevada deserts with no problems.