Used 1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Chevy S-10 Overview
By Georgia Cracker

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought it with about 70,000 miles on it and have 143,000 now. Uses no oil. Got the V6, A/T, 3rd door option. Had major A/C repair in year two and replaced engine control module recently. Cranks and drives reliably. Keep oil changed and routine service on transmission. Overall, it's been a good truck.

Power, reliability, cold A/C.

3rd door latch needs serious upgrade. I've replaced it twice: cheap plastic.

Last Chevy S10
By mbcinos

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Junk, junk, and more junk from the GM people. I owned an older S10 (1985) and put 169,000 miles on it. This one has been one nightmare after another. I used to be a GM mechanic, so I saved myself a lot of repair bills. But fuel pump,O2 sensors, map sensor, two coils, various distributor caps, they say napa has the best one, I'm going to try it next. K&N filter helps on gas mileage just as long as you don't spray much oil on it. Intake gaskets leaked antifreeze out instead of in ,so it didn't blow motor, lucky! The check engine light is almost always on and I can't get my brake lights to go out, which by the way is a common problem usualy caused by the master switch.

Will go in the snow like a Jeep, 4wd drive is awesome. 30 inch factory tires are pricey but very good in rough terrain

Missing the little trucks
By Eric

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab ZR2 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've owned my S10 for quite a few years and have moved things that most full-sized trucks couldn't. With the zr2 package I had the advantage of a large truck in a small build and it has never let me down, but as I grow older I realize I need a larger truck. A shame to loose ( almost a family member) it.

Limited slip diff. and 4.3l that has enough power to out preform a small block!

Should never stoped building them. (great for a young man running every where to the elderly moving bagged leafs off of his lawn.)

Good little truck
By GregS73

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

For a 4 cylinder, it's got a nice little bit of pep taking off, but after 3rd gear the torque numbers drop dramatically, mainly because of the gearing. Good truck for a commuter, and can also hold it's own when you've got the bed loaded down. I've hauled anything from four wheelers to 900 pounds of rocks in the back of it and she never falters.

Five speed stick with cruise control, fold down seats in back.

Chevrolet quit making the S-10 so it's kind of pointless to suggest anything, but the jump seats in the back developed a very bad squeak when they are folded up. Other than that, it's a good mini truck ready for customizing, or even a V8 swap!

Small is better
By Joe

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I like the my S-10 for it's performance, road handling and driving comfort.

The comfortable seats and interiior.

None, to speak of. It's just too bad that the GM designers are making the S- 10 bigger and wider..