1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Great truck
By great truck on 09/01/06 15:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased my S-10 after I drove my Neon through a very large mudpuddle and blew the engine, I figured I'd get something that can handle more abuse. and boy was I right. mine has been through everything imaginable, I have even pulled a 05 Silverado out of a ditch and continued to drag him while he applied his brakes. I have 214,000 miles on this truck (original trans and engine) Long story short, if you are in the market for a small truck get an S- 10

I love my S-10
By IndianaAbsentee on 04/30/05 23:20 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck last spring because I was in a pinch and had to act fast. It has turned out to be the best vehicle I have ever owned. I use it as a daily driver, and I pull a 17' fiberglass bass boat with it frequently. The truck gets the job done, and looks great. I put a water pump in it this winter, and had some minor problems with the ignition wiring, but nothing major has gone wrong even though there are 74,000 rough miles on this truck.

never buy a chevy truck
By slimmy on 10/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck used so i can get around to and from work and haul somethings here and there. i think that the vortec V6 is a great engine, it has alot of power and it does respond good.i havent had any problems as of yet,except for the interior rattling like crazy. i have now owned a ford and a chevy and i must say that i think a ford is built much better. i never had the ford rattle and squeak like this s-10 and i hear its a common problem with them.i will tell you this i will never buy a chevy truck again.

Great Truck All Around
By dss70 on 07/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is my second S-10 and have been very happy with it, I have had more minor issues with this one all mentioned already. lumbar, seat adjusters, 3rd door handle and ignition wires have all broken at least once most several times dealer support varies depending on the milage. but it gets great millage for a truck always around 23mpg and handles great very comfortable. exterior remains in great shape, even after fairly heavy work use. the 4 cyl. is fine to get around but would be wise to go with 6 if you will be haulling or towing much

Good 4x4
By P-Ditty on 05/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab ZR2 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Have to watch the ball joints and the oil cooler lines but my dad has a 2x4 that has 179,000 miles on the 4.3 motor and it still runs great.

NiCe~!
By MiC on 05/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I like how it runs. Esp the fuel econ. is great

Great Little Truck
By S-10 Lover on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Purchased my S10 LS extended cab new and added a bed liner and topper. Had trouble with the seat back latch breaking off but Chevy replaced those at no cost. Also developed a minor oil leak after 30,000 miles but hasn't gotten any worse with nearly 50,000 miles on the odometer. Great fuel economy with the 4 cylinder engine but not much pickup around town. Highway driving is a different story-the engine will keep up with the cruise control demands with little variation at almost any speed you want. Fun to drive with the 5-speed manuel. Very reliable and a real work horse.

98 S-10 Ext Cab Pickup
By hoch2820 on 03/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Original truck was 1.06 inches lower on left side. After much stalling, and finally arbitration, GM replaced w/truck that was 0.8 inches lower! Performance OK. Engine much smoother than '92. Brake problems persist. Had to replace pads & turn front rotors at 19,400 miles, at my own expense. Construction somewhat shoddy (poor fitup in sheet metal on roof).

1998 ZR2
By ZR2TRUCK on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Truck does very well in snow when using 4x4. Does well off road except that it does not like to make sharp turns. However, that is expected with extended cab trucks. V6 engine has plenty of power. I had to replace the powersteering pump at 35,000 miles and the ball joints at 50,000. Good design overall, just wish that it was built better. My seat adjustors are broke, the handle to my 3rd door is broke. Fender flares are ate up and I only have 54,000 miles on the truck.

ZR2 Extended cab, 4wdr
By darrin pohlman on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab ZR2 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Oil coolant lines have leaked from about 2 months after purchasing the vehilce. Seat side levers are very poorly designed, broke off by just from the climate cahnges and vibration of the truck. Universal needed to be replaced prematurely....bad design