Used 1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Last Chevy S10
By mbcinos

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Junk, junk, and more junk from the GM people. I owned an older S10 (1985) and put 169,000 miles on it. This one has been one nightmare after another. I used to be a GM mechanic, so I saved myself a lot of repair bills. But fuel pump,O2 sensors, map sensor, two coils, various distributor caps, they say napa has the best one, I'm going to try it next. K&N filter helps on gas mileage just as long as you don't spray much oil on it. Intake gaskets leaked antifreeze out instead of in ,so it didn't blow motor, lucky! The check engine light is almost always on and I can't get my brake lights to go out, which by the way is a common problem usualy caused by the master switch.

Favorite Features

Will go in the snow like a Jeep, 4wd drive is awesome. 30 inch factory tires are pricey but very good in rough terrain

Missing the little trucks
By Eric

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab ZR2 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've owned my S10 for quite a few years and have moved things that most full-sized trucks couldn't. With the zr2 package I had the advantage of a large truck in a small build and it has never let me down, but as I grow older I realize I need a larger truck. A shame to loose ( almost a family member) it.

Favorite Features

Limited slip diff. and 4.3l that has enough power to out preform a small block!

Suggested Improvements

Should never stoped building them. (great for a young man running every where to the elderly moving bagged leafs off of his lawn.)

Good little truck
By GregS73

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

For a 4 cylinder, it's got a nice little bit of pep taking off, but after 3rd gear the torque numbers drop dramatically, mainly because of the gearing. Good truck for a commuter, and can also hold it's own when you've got the bed loaded down. I've hauled anything from four wheelers to 900 pounds of rocks in the back of it and she never falters.

Favorite Features

Five speed stick with cruise control, fold down seats in back.

Suggested Improvements

Chevrolet quit making the S-10 so it's kind of pointless to suggest anything, but the jump seats in the back developed a very bad squeak when they are folded up. Other than that, it's a good mini truck ready for customizing, or even a V8 swap!

Small is better
By Joe

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I like the my S-10 for it's performance, road handling and driving comfort.

Favorite Features

The comfortable seats and interiior.

Suggested Improvements

None, to speak of. It's just too bad that the GM designers are making the S- 10 bigger and wider..

Good Little Truck
By Truck Driver

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this new w/ 2.2L 4 cyl engine. Engine has enough power to get you around and pull a 1-ton trailer fully loaded. I get 21mpg driving 20 min to work, each way, in mixed county/city driving. 3rd door rattle and both seat levers were fixed under warranty. No ignition wiring issues so far, 8+ years and 91K miles. Oil pan leaked couple of drops when left parked for 5 days -that is how I found out. Chevy split cost of repair eventhough it was out of warranty. Windshield wipers, sometimes, take longer than normal to change speed after stalk position has been changed, annoying. Since problems were fixed to my satisfaction I bought another Chevy ('03 Avalanche) and been very happy with that.

Favorite Features

Nice little truck. Good gas mileage, but two wheel drive is no good in minor Indiana winters.

Suggested Improvements

Chevy should know better than to put shoddy seat levers. Wiper issue appears to be S/W related. It is a great truck if not for the minor issues that hamper quality ratings.