Used 1998 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

3rd S-10
By dale

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Bought the truck brand new. Loved the truck until I looked at the paint really good after it's first bath. I found 100+ specs in the paint and took the truck to the dealership for repainting. They decided not to paint the truck after having it 3 weeks and I got my truck back color sanded and butter waxed. It looked good when I was walking up but then all I could see was the swirls in the crappy buff job they had done. I put 120,000 miles on it in a year and got another S-10 in 99. other than the paint the truck ran great.

Favorite Features

good on gas, cup holder in the door, tilt wheel and cruise control, 3rd door,

Suggested Improvements

keep making the S-10's

dream truck
By James

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I had a big chevy, but wanted a smaller version of the larger truck (1976)never happened until 94. Then the shortbed stepside was produced. Love at first sight. Brought mine in 05. It has been a treasure. It is driven on the road over 200 miles a day five days a week. it had a 2.2 4 cyl. I overheated it driving with the radiator cap off. It had 288k on it then. Replaced motor & drove it a year on the road. Decided I wanted more horsepower. Upgraded drivetrain to v6 power with automatic and now have the truck of my dreams. started to add a v8 but change plans due to mileage driven daily.

Favorite Features

The stepside bed and the look of the larger truck is the best feature

Suggested Improvements

If a 4.3 v8 was offered in the beginning, it would have been a bigger hit.

Chevy S-10 Overview
By Georgia Cracker

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought it with about 70,000 miles on it and have 143,000 now. Uses no oil. Got the V6, A/T, 3rd door option. Had major A/C repair in year two and replaced engine control module recently. Cranks and drives reliably. Keep oil changed and routine service on transmission. Overall, it's been a good truck.

Favorite Features

Power, reliability, cold A/C.

Suggested Improvements

3rd door latch needs serious upgrade. I've replaced it twice: cheap plastic.

Last Chevy S10
By mbcinos

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Junk, junk, and more junk from the GM people. I owned an older S10 (1985) and put 169,000 miles on it. This one has been one nightmare after another. I used to be a GM mechanic, so I saved myself a lot of repair bills. But fuel pump,O2 sensors, map sensor, two coils, various distributor caps, they say napa has the best one, I'm going to try it next. K&N filter helps on gas mileage just as long as you don't spray much oil on it. Intake gaskets leaked antifreeze out instead of in ,so it didn't blow motor, lucky! The check engine light is almost always on and I can't get my brake lights to go out, which by the way is a common problem usualy caused by the master switch.

Favorite Features

Will go in the snow like a Jeep, 4wd drive is awesome. 30 inch factory tires are pricey but very good in rough terrain

Missing the little trucks
By Eric

1998 Chevrolet S-10 ZR2 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've owned my S10 for quite a few years and have moved things that most full-sized trucks couldn't. With the zr2 package I had the advantage of a large truck in a small build and it has never let me down, but as I grow older I realize I need a larger truck. A shame to loose ( almost a family member) it.

Favorite Features

Limited slip diff. and 4.3l that has enough power to out preform a small block!

Suggested Improvements

Should never stoped building them. (great for a young man running every where to the elderly moving bagged leafs off of his lawn.)