1998 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Good truck, but bad mechanically
By 10tca01 on 12/28/08 19:20 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

My S-10 is my first vehicle ever owned. I was very excited to get it, on accounts of I had heard S-10's were great. I bought it used with 39,000 miles on it, and yes, it was a '98. The first month I had it, the transmission went out. 39,000 miles! I was very frustrated, it was an expensive repair. Hoping it would be the last thing, I went on. But it's just been one thing after another. The trans, the A/C, the water pump, and the shocks. I should have gotten rid of it after the trans, but kept it because I liked it. The truck looks great though, good design inside and out, and very little cosmetic problems. Good chassis and ride. I would buy another S-10, even with the problems I had.

Great buy
By darko789 on 03/18/08 05:15 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have put 120000 miles on since I bought it. Has yet to let me down. 4.3 has all the power I will ever need. Gets decent mpgs. It has been a great truck for me.

Good little truck
By GregS73 on 11/12/07 17:19 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

For a 4 cylinder, it's got a nice little bit of pep taking off, but after 3rd gear the torque numbers drop dramatically, mainly because of the gearing. Good truck for a commuter, and can also hold it's own when you've got the bed loaded down. I've hauled anything from four wheelers to 900 pounds of rocks in the back of it and she never falters.

Small is better
By Joe on 08/27/07 08:29 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I like the my S-10 for it's performance, road handling and driving comfort.

Good companion, but not made well enough
By Jumperus on 07/01/07 01:17 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Purchased this truck in 1998 and I inherited it in 2000 as my only vehicle and daily driver. It has run fairly well and performed as I needed, but my experiences have been similar to others'. Seat handle broken (by a thief who smashed the window, however), front grille plastic has cracked and had to be safety wired back together. Alternator replaced, battery replaced, hole in the radiator, water pump replaced, A/C compressor leak, some intermittent starting issues, oil and transmission pan seepage. For a 9 year old inexpensive truck, it's performed adequately. Little power, but nimble enough in my hands. Good beater, decent to drive, but not made very well.

Good Little Truck
By Truck Driver on 10/22/06 13:51 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this new w/ 2.2L 4 cyl engine. Engine has enough power to get you around and pull a 1-ton trailer fully loaded. I get 21mpg driving 20 min to work, each way, in mixed county/city driving. 3rd door rattle and both seat levers were fixed under warranty. No ignition wiring issues so far, 8+ years and 91K miles. Oil pan leaked couple of drops when left parked for 5 days -that is how I found out. Chevy split cost of repair eventhough it was out of warranty. Windshield wipers, sometimes, take longer than normal to change speed after stalk position has been changed, annoying. Since problems were fixed to my satisfaction I bought another Chevy ('03 Avalanche) and been very happy with that.

Great truck
By great truck on 09/01/06 15:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased my S-10 after I drove my Neon through a very large mudpuddle and blew the engine, I figured I'd get something that can handle more abuse. and boy was I right. mine has been through everything imaginable, I have even pulled a 05 Silverado out of a ditch and continued to drag him while he applied his brakes. I have 214,000 miles on this truck (original trans and engine) Long story short, if you are in the market for a small truck get an S- 10

Last Chevy I'll Ever Buy
By floridaboy on 12/27/05 20:11 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

This truck has been in the repair shop continuously since I purchased it. I purchased this truck with 11,000 miles. Two weeks after the warranty ran out, the CD player started sending an error message and would not load CD's. I have had to replace the fuel pump 3 times on this vehicle to the tune of 600 per pump. The pump is in the gas tank and the tank has to be dropped. The pumps themselves cost $300 to $500 depending where you buy it. I have had to replace the starter 4 times. Seriously! Faulty starters chewed up the flywheel. Another $600 repair! I have had to replace the front shocks, front and rear brakes, alternator, rear CV joint, Trans fluid. Avoid S-10's!

good truck
By kckoch on 08/16/05 08:17 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I drive alot of highways to and from work. I take care of the oil changes every 3000 miles and the mechanic says it is in good shape to reach 200,000 miles. The only nagging problem is the security light comes on once in a while. They want $3-400 dollars to replace the security system. I prevents the truck from starting once in a while and I have to wait 20 minutes for the system to reengage to start the truck. Over all it has been a good truck fo me!

1998 ZR2
By jbl_forever on 05/05/05 12:21 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 ZR2 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This vehicle is very fun to drive and the look of it is very appealing. I have owned this vehicle for one year and have put over $2500 in repairs. The guy before me must have not taken care of it. I didn't go more than two months without something going wrong. I was at the repair shop frequently. Although it caused me some headaches, I would defintely own another ZR2 and they are worth the money, as long as you take care of it.