1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

1998 S-10 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Sort Reviews by

Good truck, but bad mechanically
By 10tca01

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

My S-10 is my first vehicle ever owned. I was very excited to get it, on accounts of I had heard S-10's were great. I bought it used with 39,000 miles on it, and yes, it was a '98. The first month I had it, the transmission went out. 39,000 miles! I was very frustrated, it was an expensive repair. Hoping it would be the last thing, I went on. But it's just been one thing after another. The trans, the A/C, the water pump, and the shocks. I should have gotten rid of it after the trans, but kept it because I liked it. The truck looks great though, good design inside and out, and very little cosmetic problems. Good chassis and ride. I would buy another S-10, even with the problems I had.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, looks great, good power for little engine, durable body.

Suggested Improvements

Even though the S-10 is no longer made, I would have to say all mechanical things in general.

Good companion, but not made well enough
By Jumperus

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Purchased this truck in 1998 and I inherited it in 2000 as my only vehicle and daily driver. It has run fairly well and performed as I needed, but my experiences have been similar to others'. Seat handle broken (by a thief who smashed the window, however), front grille plastic has cracked and had to be safety wired back together. Alternator replaced, battery replaced, hole in the radiator, water pump replaced, A/C compressor leak, some intermittent starting issues, oil and transmission pan seepage. For a 9 year old inexpensive truck, it's performed adequately. Little power, but nimble enough in my hands. Good beater, decent to drive, but not made very well.

Favorite Features

Roomy enough for me (5'10", 200), nice size, simple but classy design. Respectable gas mileage (19-21 at 70% highway, 30% streets).

Suggested Improvements

Horrible oil filter location, too many poor quality parts (plastic especially), not quite enough power in the 4 cylinder. Granted, it's largely moot now that the vehicle's out of production, but I'm mostly writing this as a memorial to my soon-to-be retired friend.

Its a good buy
By Nick Atyia

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I feel like it meets all my needs. I dont drive to far places and I dont take lots of people around town with me. It runs good, not fast, but good. it is comfortable and sporty. I like it.

Favorite Features

Wheels, color, extened cab for golf clubs and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Engine needs a power upgrade. more standard power options.

Great value for a used truck
By Thekid

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this S-10 with the 2.2L/5 Speed - yet otherwise it's loaded even to having the premium CD player audio. The 4 Cyl is okay power-wise once you realize it comes alive up in the rev band when you need to accelerate. The A/C all but kills the poor engine however - but it does blow ice cubes. There is enough room for my 6'1" self - the bonus of the lower seating. For me, of course the seat is jammed fully back without the luxury of reclining - so I don't use those break-prone parts... of course my lumbar support is long gone. The seats are too hard. The wiper control issue is a major safety problem! Positives are great economy and solid body at 100K+

Favorite Features

Solid tight chassis @100K+ miles and excellent fuel economy top my list. The 4 cyl power is better than expected if you keep the revs up. Nice paint job and better than expected room are a major plus. I like the retained power for the radio - along with the automatic exit lamps.

Suggested Improvements

The windshield wiper issue should be a recall issue. Better interior materials and hardware (doors rattle from the factory stereo - yet never from the hardest bumps). The A/C should not choke even the high- reving/limited low-end torque 4 cylinder as much as it does.

Nice Little Truck
By snorenore

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought my truck 2 years ago, I have the 4cyl 5 speed. Has been a great truck for me, most of all because of the great fuel economy. Has some minor things that don't cause any problems, they are just annoying. Like many other S-10 owners I know the SES light is on. Have taken it in twice and they can't seem to find out what it is. It shifts nice except downshifting into third, that can be a little tricky. 80,000 miles and still going strong.

Favorite Features

Exterior looks, great gas milege for a truck (about 23-25 highway). This has also been a very reliable truck, no major problems since I've owned it.

Suggested Improvements

More powerful 4 cyl. Also, the cup holders are all but worthless, a gauranteed spill if you actually decide to use them. Also, it's totally worthless on snow, but hey, what do you expect from a rear-wheel drive truck?!

just okay
By done with GM

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

It runs most of the time the mileage isn't bad and it's appearance is acceptable. I feel the performance is poor even for a 4 cylinder. I have had problems with the plug wires when it is raining and the wires get wet. It refuses to start if the temp. is below 10 degrees. The wipers only work sometimes. The lumbar support broke the day I bought it and of course the seat adjustment handle broke shortly thereafter. I don't think I'll buy GM again mostly due to GM's fairly consistent failure to acknowledge common design flaws and fix them at a resonable cost to the consumer.

Favorite Features

the radio/cd player

Suggested Improvements

Improvements-seats that don't fall apart, wipers that work, relocate coil pack/plug wires to top of engine compartment, provide better service at the dealership service dept.

Excellent Truck
By bauerman

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have the 4 cylinder engine coupled with a 5 speed transmission and could not be happier with the truck to date. Smooth shifting - good power - and great gas milegage so far. If you are thinking of the 4 cylinder engine - go for the 5 speed manual as well, it's the best pairing of engine and transmission. Fit and finsh seem to be excellent - especially for a used truck with 65000 miles. No rattles to this point - takes bumps well and seem to be "screwed together" very tightly. I'm getting about 28 MPG right now and am very happy with that. Hauls a load pretty well and sits low enough to the ground to make loading the bed easy.

Favorite Features

5 speed transmission - smooth and responsive Quiet engine for a 4 cylinder

Suggested Improvements

Improved quality of seat handles - one of mine is sheared off at the metal - not the plastic handle.

weak trans
By Geoff 1954

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

1st problem, battery went dead and had to replace it under warrenty,2ed transmition problem, overdrive burns out needing a major rebuilt.

Favorite Features

the lay out of the interior and dash is excellent

Suggested Improvements

making a dependable transmition

I could have done better...
By What was I thinking?

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

My gut instinct was not to buy this truck, but somehow that day I kinda liked it. The possibility of a few quirks would have been acceptable since I only needed it for home ownership purposes. When I took it to an independent mechanic I learned it couldn't even pass a simple state safety inspection. Poor build quality had sent it to be traded in, and the dealer wouldn't give it the help it needed without added cost. There are several, better choices out there for the consumer to choose from.

Favorite Features

Nice profile, feels roomy, easy to understand and operate controls and a great A/C...so far.

Suggested Improvements

On 3 of 5 S-10 trucks I know of, the spare tire fell out while in motion. Broken safety wire, a high speed death trap? Get a swing arm like Ford. GM trucks long known for wiper failure during rain. Invest a buck or two for public safety or kill production of this vehicle.

Good small truck
By mnicolella

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Great value - more options, better styling and durability than anything else at the price. Fairly sporty to drive with 4 cyl., 2wd, 5 spd., and it only weighs 2800 lbs. I've parked it outside in the NE for 5 years and put on 70,000 miles, and the only problem is that the grille plastic is fading. Not a single mechanical problem, paint looks good with a yearly carnuba wax, and no rattles. The bed is galvanized. I'm skeptical of the American cars' quality, and I've been happily surprised.

Favorite Features

Well designed for all around use. Drives nicely, hauls enough gear for outdoors. Economical.

Suggested Improvements

Interior is too small. I'm 5'11 and never could stretch out enough. Get an extended cab. Some trim is flimsy.