Used 1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Best Truck in the World
By ehzzie

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

This vehicle was truly a gem. I have driven it to the east coast and to the west coast and pretty much everywhere inbetween. Never had any huge problems until it got to be over 200,000 miles. Then it started nickel and diming me. I have nothing but good to say about this vehicle. If they still made them I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

Good on gas mileage, fun, reliable.

Suggested Improvements

The handles on the sides that let you lean the seat forward did fall off after about 135,000 miles or so

3rd S-10
By dale

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Bought the truck brand new. Loved the truck until I looked at the paint really good after it's first bath. I found 100+ specs in the paint and took the truck to the dealership for repainting. They decided not to paint the truck after having it 3 weeks and I got my truck back color sanded and butter waxed. It looked good when I was walking up but then all I could see was the swirls in the crappy buff job they had done. I put 120,000 miles on it in a year and got another S-10 in 99. other than the paint the truck ran great.

Favorite Features

good on gas, cup holder in the door, tilt wheel and cruise control, 3rd door,

Suggested Improvements

keep making the S-10's

dream truck
By James

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I had a big chevy, but wanted a smaller version of the larger truck (1976)never happened until 94. Then the shortbed stepside was produced. Love at first sight. Brought mine in 05. It has been a treasure. It is driven on the road over 200 miles a day five days a week. it had a 2.2 4 cyl. I overheated it driving with the radiator cap off. It had 288k on it then. Replaced motor & drove it a year on the road. Decided I wanted more horsepower. Upgraded drivetrain to v6 power with automatic and now have the truck of my dreams. started to add a v8 but change plans due to mileage driven daily.

Favorite Features

The stepside bed and the look of the larger truck is the best feature

Suggested Improvements

If a 4.3 v8 was offered in the beginning, it would have been a bigger hit.

Good truck, but bad mechanically
By 10tca01

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

My S-10 is my first vehicle ever owned. I was very excited to get it, on accounts of I had heard S-10's were great. I bought it used with 39,000 miles on it, and yes, it was a '98. The first month I had it, the transmission went out. 39,000 miles! I was very frustrated, it was an expensive repair. Hoping it would be the last thing, I went on. But it's just been one thing after another. The trans, the A/C, the water pump, and the shocks. I should have gotten rid of it after the trans, but kept it because I liked it. The truck looks great though, good design inside and out, and very little cosmetic problems. Good chassis and ride. I would buy another S-10, even with the problems I had.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, looks great, good power for little engine, durable body.

Suggested Improvements

Even though the S-10 is no longer made, I would have to say all mechanical things in general.

Great buy
By darko789

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have put 120000 miles on since I bought it. Has yet to let me down. 4.3 has all the power I will ever need. Gets decent mpgs. It has been a great truck for me.

Favorite Features

Location of everything. Great user controls.

Suggested Improvements

Seat ajusment levers.