1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Best Truck in the World
By ehzzie on 02/07/12 15:16 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

This vehicle was truly a gem. I have driven it to the east coast and to the west coast and pretty much everywhere inbetween. Never had any huge problems until it got to be over 200,000 miles. Then it started nickel and diming me. I have nothing but good to say about this vehicle. If they still made them I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

3rd S-10
By dale on 06/04/10 18:38 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Bought the truck brand new. Loved the truck until I looked at the paint really good after it's first bath. I found 100+ specs in the paint and took the truck to the dealership for repainting. They decided not to paint the truck after having it 3 weeks and I got my truck back color sanded and butter waxed. It looked good when I was walking up but then all I could see was the swirls in the crappy buff job they had done. I put 120,000 miles on it in a year and got another S-10 in 99. other than the paint the truck ran great.

dream truck
By James on 12/24/09 21:32 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I had a big chevy, but wanted a smaller version of the larger truck (1976)never happened until 94. Then the shortbed stepside was produced. Love at first sight. Brought mine in 05. It has been a treasure. It is driven on the road over 200 miles a day five days a week. it had a 2.2 4 cyl. I overheated it driving with the radiator cap off. It had 288k on it then. Replaced motor & drove it a year on the road. Decided I wanted more horsepower. Upgraded drivetrain to v6 power with automatic and now have the truck of my dreams. started to add a v8 but change plans due to mileage driven daily.

Good truck, but bad mechanically
By 10tca01 on 12/28/08 19:20 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

My S-10 is my first vehicle ever owned. I was very excited to get it, on accounts of I had heard S-10's were great. I bought it used with 39,000 miles on it, and yes, it was a '98. The first month I had it, the transmission went out. 39,000 miles! I was very frustrated, it was an expensive repair. Hoping it would be the last thing, I went on. But it's just been one thing after another. The trans, the A/C, the water pump, and the shocks. I should have gotten rid of it after the trans, but kept it because I liked it. The truck looks great though, good design inside and out, and very little cosmetic problems. Good chassis and ride. I would buy another S-10, even with the problems I had.

Great buy
By darko789 on 03/18/08 05:15 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have put 120000 miles on since I bought it. Has yet to let me down. 4.3 has all the power I will ever need. Gets decent mpgs. It has been a great truck for me.

Good companion, but not made well enough
By Jumperus on 07/01/07 01:17 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Purchased this truck in 1998 and I inherited it in 2000 as my only vehicle and daily driver. It has run fairly well and performed as I needed, but my experiences have been similar to others'. Seat handle broken (by a thief who smashed the window, however), front grille plastic has cracked and had to be safety wired back together. Alternator replaced, battery replaced, hole in the radiator, water pump replaced, A/C compressor leak, some intermittent starting issues, oil and transmission pan seepage. For a 9 year old inexpensive truck, it's performed adequately. Little power, but nimble enough in my hands. Good beater, decent to drive, but not made very well.

Last Chevy I'll Ever Buy
By floridaboy on 12/27/05 20:11 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

This truck has been in the repair shop continuously since I purchased it. I purchased this truck with 11,000 miles. Two weeks after the warranty ran out, the CD player started sending an error message and would not load CD's. I have had to replace the fuel pump 3 times on this vehicle to the tune of 600 per pump. The pump is in the gas tank and the tank has to be dropped. The pumps themselves cost $300 to $500 depending where you buy it. I have had to replace the starter 4 times. Seriously! Faulty starters chewed up the flywheel. Another $600 repair! I have had to replace the front shocks, front and rear brakes, alternator, rear CV joint, Trans fluid. Avoid S-10's!

good truck
By kckoch on 08/16/05 08:17 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I drive alot of highways to and from work. I take care of the oil changes every 3000 miles and the mechanic says it is in good shape to reach 200,000 miles. The only nagging problem is the security light comes on once in a while. They want $3-400 dollars to replace the security system. I prevents the truck from starting once in a while and I have to wait 20 minutes for the system to reengage to start the truck. Over all it has been a good truck fo me!

1998 ZR2
By jbl_forever on 05/05/05 12:21 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab ZR2 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This vehicle is very fun to drive and the look of it is very appealing. I have owned this vehicle for one year and have put over $2500 in repairs. The guy before me must have not taken care of it. I didn't go more than two months without something going wrong. I was at the repair shop frequently. Although it caused me some headaches, I would defintely own another ZR2 and they are worth the money, as long as you take care of it.

Nice Truck
By Joey Anterola on 04/25/05 12:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab LB

Nice truck, no horsepower... still very nice interior and stylish exterior. No complaints... except no horsepower...