1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Will last forever
By driven_it_all on 10/02/12 15:16 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought mine used in 2000 with 34k miles. Sold her in 2011 with 240k miles. Pros -never replaced clutch -brakes last long time -never any major work done -decent on gas -took the abuse I gave to it. -motor and transmission are very good Cons -cosmetic & electrical issues -a/c issues ( I gave up after 3rd time) -leaks oil at 100k miles -cluster went out at 200k Would highly recommend if you are looking for a reliable cheap truck.

2nd time around
By john on 10/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is #2 S-10 for me. 2002 Std with 4.3 Vortec. Tranny rebuild and fuel pump at 200,000 miles on first. sold at 225,000. This truck now runs mail route in rural NC. Went through 2 Canyon disasters and then purchased this truck with 51,000 miles on it. Replaced H20 pump, AC unit, alternator, battery,and radiator. had to have drive shaft rebuilt at 85,000. My fault because I let the rear shocks go bad and the rear end had excess drag when towing. Rye Valley Gear in SW Virginia has a rebuild kit for the connector to the rear coupler. Simple inexpensive repair for this problem. Excellent truck and I am very happy. 21 to 23 mpg without trailer. 19 to 21 when towing. Use Shell 87 for fuel.

Chevy S-10 Overview
By Georgia Cracker on 02/14/09 15:07 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought it with about 70,000 miles on it and have 143,000 now. Uses no oil. Got the V6, A/T, 3rd door option. Had major A/C repair in year two and replaced engine control module recently. Cranks and drives reliably. Keep oil changed and routine service on transmission. Overall, it's been a good truck.

Good little truck
By GregS73 on 11/12/07 17:19 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

For a 4 cylinder, it's got a nice little bit of pep taking off, but after 3rd gear the torque numbers drop dramatically, mainly because of the gearing. Good truck for a commuter, and can also hold it's own when you've got the bed loaded down. I've hauled anything from four wheelers to 900 pounds of rocks in the back of it and she never falters.

Small is better
By Joe on 08/27/07 08:29 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I like the my S-10 for it's performance, road handling and driving comfort.

Good Little Truck
By Truck Driver on 10/22/06 13:51 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this new w/ 2.2L 4 cyl engine. Engine has enough power to get you around and pull a 1-ton trailer fully loaded. I get 21mpg driving 20 min to work, each way, in mixed county/city driving. 3rd door rattle and both seat levers were fixed under warranty. No ignition wiring issues so far, 8+ years and 91K miles. Oil pan leaked couple of drops when left parked for 5 days -that is how I found out. Chevy split cost of repair eventhough it was out of warranty. Windshield wipers, sometimes, take longer than normal to change speed after stalk position has been changed, annoying. Since problems were fixed to my satisfaction I bought another Chevy ('03 Avalanche) and been very happy with that.

Great truck
By great truck on 09/01/06 15:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased my S-10 after I drove my Neon through a very large mudpuddle and blew the engine, I figured I'd get something that can handle more abuse. and boy was I right. mine has been through everything imaginable, I have even pulled a 05 Silverado out of a ditch and continued to drag him while he applied his brakes. I have 214,000 miles on this truck (original trans and engine) Long story short, if you are in the market for a small truck get an S- 10

I love my S-10
By IndianaAbsentee on 04/30/05 23:20 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck last spring because I was in a pinch and had to act fast. It has turned out to be the best vehicle I have ever owned. I use it as a daily driver, and I pull a 17' fiberglass bass boat with it frequently. The truck gets the job done, and looks great. I put a water pump in it this winter, and had some minor problems with the ignition wiring, but nothing major has gone wrong even though there are 74,000 rough miles on this truck.

never buy a chevy truck
By slimmy on 10/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck used so i can get around to and from work and haul somethings here and there. i think that the vortec V6 is a great engine, it has alot of power and it does respond good.i havent had any problems as of yet,except for the interior rattling like crazy. i have now owned a ford and a chevy and i must say that i think a ford is built much better. i never had the ford rattle and squeak like this s-10 and i hear its a common problem with them.i will tell you this i will never buy a chevy truck again.

Great Truck All Around
By dss70 on 07/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is my second S-10 and have been very happy with it, I have had more minor issues with this one all mentioned already. lumbar, seat adjusters, 3rd door handle and ignition wires have all broken at least once most several times dealer support varies depending on the milage. but it gets great millage for a truck always around 23mpg and handles great very comfortable. exterior remains in great shape, even after fairly heavy work use. the 4 cyl. is fine to get around but would be wise to go with 6 if you will be haulling or towing much