Used 1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Hate this vehicle
By rsand02

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab ZR2 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Literally the biggest piece of junk I've ever had the displeasure of owning. Purchased it with 40,000 miles. If you enjoy replacing endless front end suspension and steering parts, then this is your baby. The interior levers and latches seem to be made of card board. Had to repair intake manifold gasket, oil lines, AC compressor, ball joints twice, front axle shafts twice, sway bar, steering gear box, and pitman arm. This is before 130K.The engineering team at chevrolet should be take out back and shot for the creation of this monetary black hole. If you are considering buying one of these bang your head against the wall a dozen times and you will have the same experience I have had.

Climes well.

Interior, Front end suspension.

Will last forever
By driven_it_all

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought mine used in 2000 with 34k miles. Sold her in 2011 with 240k miles. Pros -never replaced clutch -brakes last long time -never any major work done -decent on gas -took the abuse I gave to it. -motor and transmission are very good Cons -cosmetic & electrical issues -a/c issues ( I gave up after 3rd time) -leaks oil at 100k miles -cluster went out at 200k Would highly recommend if you are looking for a reliable cheap truck.

Never again
By compaqter

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I should have never bought this piece of junk. This truck will be my first and last GM vehicle I will ever own. The 4cyl engine is awfully underpowered and automatic transmission is sluggish. The cheap material used in this truck is overwhelming, the dashboard is falling apart. The interior rattles all the time. The seat recliner handles broke off, I bought new ones and those broke. A lot of wind noise and rain water occasionally drips inside. The engine service light is always on. Replacing the spark plugs is a nightmare. Heater core leaked and replacing that is also difficult. AC doesn't work. Shocks and struts need to be replaced. Beginning to rust. Low resale value. Poor design.

Seats are comfortable. I like how the arm rest on the doors are padded. Cup holders.

My older car was faster, had better material, was reliable, and had a higher resale value than this pathetic truck.

2nd time around
By john

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is #2 S-10 for me. 2002 Std with 4.3 Vortec. Tranny rebuild and fuel pump at 200,000 miles on first. sold at 225,000. This truck now runs mail route in rural NC. Went through 2 Canyon disasters and then purchased this truck with 51,000 miles on it. Replaced H20 pump, AC unit, alternator, battery,and radiator. had to have drive shaft rebuilt at 85,000. My fault because I let the rear shocks go bad and the rear end had excess drag when towing. Rye Valley Gear in SW Virginia has a rebuild kit for the connector to the rear coupler. Simple inexpensive repair for this problem. Excellent truck and I am very happy. 21 to 23 mpg without trailer. 19 to 21 when towing. Use Shell 87 for fuel.

DRL, 4.3 Vortec Engine. Excellent power response and road handling. Superb towing capabilities.

Too late for improvements. I keep working to make this truck stand out in every way.

Chevy S-10 Overview
By Georgia Cracker

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought it with about 70,000 miles on it and have 143,000 now. Uses no oil. Got the V6, A/T, 3rd door option. Had major A/C repair in year two and replaced engine control module recently. Cranks and drives reliably. Keep oil changed and routine service on transmission. Overall, it's been a good truck.

Power, reliability, cold A/C.

3rd door latch needs serious upgrade. I've replaced it twice: cheap plastic.