1998 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Hate this vehicle
By rsand02 on 02/27/13 12:28 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 ZR2 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Literally the biggest piece of junk I've ever had the displeasure of owning. Purchased it with 40,000 miles. If you enjoy replacing endless front end suspension and steering parts, then this is your baby. The interior levers and latches seem to be made of card board. Had to repair intake manifold gasket, oil lines, AC compressor, ball joints twice, front axle shafts twice, sway bar, steering gear box, and pitman arm. This is before 130K.The engineering team at chevrolet should be take out back and shot for the creation of this monetary black hole. If you are considering buying one of these bang your head against the wall a dozen times and you will have the same experience I have had.

Missing the little trucks
By Eric on 01/10/09 18:55 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 ZR2 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've owned my S10 for quite a few years and have moved things that most full-sized trucks couldn't. With the zr2 package I had the advantage of a large truck in a small build and it has never let me down, but as I grow older I realize I need a larger truck. A shame to loose ( almost a family member) it.

Good 4x4
By P-Ditty on 05/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 ZR2 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Have to watch the ball joints and the oil cooler lines but my dad has a 2x4 that has 179,000 miles on the 4.3 motor and it still runs great.

ZR2 Extended cab, 4wdr
By darrin pohlman on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 ZR2 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Oil coolant lines have leaked from about 2 months after purchasing the vehilce. Seat side levers are very poorly designed, broke off by just from the climate cahnges and vibration of the truck. Universal needed to be replaced prematurely....bad design

S10 ZR2
By Neleous on 09/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 ZR2 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This vehicle has been through everything from drag racing to off roading. The only problem I've had was the reclining handle on the drivers seat broke off. I haven't been very nice to this truck but it has treated me awesome.

1998 S10 ZR2 Ext Cab
By Bigstik on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 ZR2 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

An extremely reliable vehicle from the day I drove it of the lot. Very limited repairs needed over the 5.5 years I have owned it. Ask your mechanic about these 4.3 liter Vortec V6 engines, he'll tell you that they are built for the long haul. I tow my 19' Sea Ray, haul mulch, furniture, and anything else that will fit in the bed, and racked up about 60,000 miles the first 2 years working the MD/VA territory - all highway, and I don't baby this truck. It still runs like the day I drove it off the lot.

Great 4x4 truck
By REDI on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 ZR2 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Good solid riding and handling truck. Got 19 MPG average on an 80mph trip to Colorado from California and back. Traveled 160 miles of dirt roads across N. Nevada deserts with no problems.