1998 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Good truck, but bad mechanically
By 10tca01 on 12/28/08 19:20 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

My S-10 is my first vehicle ever owned. I was very excited to get it, on accounts of I had heard S-10's were great. I bought it used with 39,000 miles on it, and yes, it was a '98. The first month I had it, the transmission went out. 39,000 miles! I was very frustrated, it was an expensive repair. Hoping it would be the last thing, I went on. But it's just been one thing after another. The trans, the A/C, the water pump, and the shocks. I should have gotten rid of it after the trans, but kept it because I liked it. The truck looks great though, good design inside and out, and very little cosmetic problems. Good chassis and ride. I would buy another S-10, even with the problems I had.

Good companion, but not made well enough
By Jumperus on 07/01/07 01:17 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Purchased this truck in 1998 and I inherited it in 2000 as my only vehicle and daily driver. It has run fairly well and performed as I needed, but my experiences have been similar to others'. Seat handle broken (by a thief who smashed the window, however), front grille plastic has cracked and had to be safety wired back together. Alternator replaced, battery replaced, hole in the radiator, water pump replaced, A/C compressor leak, some intermittent starting issues, oil and transmission pan seepage. For a 9 year old inexpensive truck, it's performed adequately. Little power, but nimble enough in my hands. Good beater, decent to drive, but not made very well.

Its a good buy
By Nick Atyia on 03/22/05 15:13 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I feel like it meets all my needs. I dont drive to far places and I dont take lots of people around town with me. It runs good, not fast, but good. it is comfortable and sporty. I like it.

Great value for a used truck
By Thekid on 07/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this S-10 with the 2.2L/5 Speed - yet otherwise it's loaded even to having the premium CD player audio. The 4 Cyl is okay power-wise once you realize it comes alive up in the rev band when you need to accelerate. The A/C all but kills the poor engine however - but it does blow ice cubes. There is enough room for my 6'1" self - the bonus of the lower seating. For me, of course the seat is jammed fully back without the luxury of reclining - so I don't use those break-prone parts... of course my lumbar support is long gone. The seats are too hard. The wiper control issue is a major safety problem! Positives are great economy and solid body at 100K+

Nice Little Truck
By snorenore on 02/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought my truck 2 years ago, I have the 4cyl 5 speed. Has been a great truck for me, most of all because of the great fuel economy. Has some minor things that don't cause any problems, they are just annoying. Like many other S-10 owners I know the SES light is on. Have taken it in twice and they can't seem to find out what it is. It shifts nice except downshifting into third, that can be a little tricky. 80,000 miles and still going strong.

just okay
By done with GM on 01/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

It runs most of the time the mileage isn't bad and it's appearance is acceptable. I feel the performance is poor even for a 4 cylinder. I have had problems with the plug wires when it is raining and the wires get wet. It refuses to start if the temp. is below 10 degrees. The wipers only work sometimes. The lumbar support broke the day I bought it and of course the seat adjustment handle broke shortly thereafter. I don't think I'll buy GM again mostly due to GM's fairly consistent failure to acknowledge common design flaws and fix them at a resonable cost to the consumer.

Excellent Truck
By bauerman on 05/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have the 4 cylinder engine coupled with a 5 speed transmission and could not be happier with the truck to date. Smooth shifting - good power - and great gas milegage so far. If you are thinking of the 4 cylinder engine - go for the 5 speed manual as well, it's the best pairing of engine and transmission. Fit and finsh seem to be excellent - especially for a used truck with 65000 miles. No rattles to this point - takes bumps well and seem to be "screwed together" very tightly. I'm getting about 28 MPG right now and am very happy with that. Hauls a load pretty well and sits low enough to the ground to make loading the bed easy.

weak trans
By Geoff 1954 on 05/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

1st problem, battery went dead and had to replace it under warrenty,2ed transmition problem, overdrive burns out needing a major rebuilt.

I could have done better...
By What was I thinking? on 05/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

My gut instinct was not to buy this truck, but somehow that day I kinda liked it. The possibility of a few quirks would have been acceptable since I only needed it for home ownership purposes. When I took it to an independent mechanic I learned it couldn't even pass a simple state safety inspection. Poor build quality had sent it to be traded in, and the dealer wouldn't give it the help it needed without added cost. There are several, better choices out there for the consumer to choose from.

Good small truck
By mnicolella on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Great value - more options, better styling and durability than anything else at the price. Fairly sporty to drive with 4 cyl., 2wd, 5 spd., and it only weighs 2800 lbs. I've parked it outside in the NE for 5 years and put on 70,000 miles, and the only problem is that the grille plastic is fading. Not a single mechanical problem, paint looks good with a yearly carnuba wax, and no rattles. The bed is galvanized. I'm skeptical of the American cars' quality, and I've been happily surprised.