Used 1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Good truck, but bad mechanically
By 10tca01

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

My S-10 is my first vehicle ever owned. I was very excited to get it, on accounts of I had heard S-10's were great. I bought it used with 39,000 miles on it, and yes, it was a '98. The first month I had it, the transmission went out. 39,000 miles! I was very frustrated, it was an expensive repair. Hoping it would be the last thing, I went on. But it's just been one thing after another. The trans, the A/C, the water pump, and the shocks. I should have gotten rid of it after the trans, but kept it because I liked it. The truck looks great though, good design inside and out, and very little cosmetic problems. Good chassis and ride. I would buy another S-10, even with the problems I had.

Comfortable, looks great, good power for little engine, durable body.

Even though the S-10 is no longer made, I would have to say all mechanical things in general.

Good companion, but not made well enough
By Jumperus

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Purchased this truck in 1998 and I inherited it in 2000 as my only vehicle and daily driver. It has run fairly well and performed as I needed, but my experiences have been similar to others'. Seat handle broken (by a thief who smashed the window, however), front grille plastic has cracked and had to be safety wired back together. Alternator replaced, battery replaced, hole in the radiator, water pump replaced, A/C compressor leak, some intermittent starting issues, oil and transmission pan seepage. For a 9 year old inexpensive truck, it's performed adequately. Little power, but nimble enough in my hands. Good beater, decent to drive, but not made very well.

Roomy enough for me (5'10", 200), nice size, simple but classy design. Respectable gas mileage (19-21 at 70% highway, 30% streets).

Horrible oil filter location, too many poor quality parts (plastic especially), not quite enough power in the 4 cylinder. Granted, it's largely moot now that the vehicle's out of production, but I'm mostly writing this as a memorial to my soon-to-be retired friend.

Its a good buy
By Nick Atyia

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I feel like it meets all my needs. I dont drive to far places and I dont take lots of people around town with me. It runs good, not fast, but good. it is comfortable and sporty. I like it.

Wheels, color, extened cab for golf clubs and comfort.

Engine needs a power upgrade. more standard power options.

Great value for a used truck
By Thekid

I bought this S-10 with the 2.2L/5
Speed - yet otherwise it's loaded even
to having the premium CD player audio.
The 4 Cyl is okay power-wise once you
realize it comes alive up in the rev
band when you need to accelerate. The
A/C all but kills the poor engine
however - but it does blow ice cubes.
There is enough room for my 6'1" self -
the bonus of the lower seating. For
me, of course the seat is jammed fully
back without the luxury of reclining -
so I don't use those break-prone
parts... of course my lumbar support
is long gone. The seats are too hard.
The wiper control issue is a major
safety problem! Positives are great
economy and solid body at 100K+

Solid tight chassis @100K+ miles and excellent fuel economy top my list. The 4 cyl power is better than expected if you keep the revs up. Nice paint job and better than expected room are a major plus. I like the retained power for the radio - along with the automatic exit lamps.

The windshield wiper issue should be a recall issue. Better interior materials and hardware (doors rattle from the factory stereo - yet never from the hardest bumps). The A/C should not choke even the high- reving/limited low-end torque 4 cylinder as much as it does.

Nice Little Truck
By snorenore

Bought my truck 2 years ago, I have
the 4cyl 5 speed. Has been a great
truck for me, most of all because of
the great fuel economy. Has some
minor things that don't cause any
problems, they are just annoying.
Like many other S-10 owners I know the
SES light is on. Have taken it in
twice and they can't seem to find out
what it is. It shifts nice except
downshifting into third, that can be a
little tricky. 80,000 miles and still
going strong.

Exterior looks, great gas milege for a truck (about 23-25 highway). This has also been a very reliable truck, no major problems since I've owned it.

More powerful 4 cyl. Also, the cup holders are all but worthless, a gauranteed spill if you actually decide to use them. Also, it's totally worthless on snow, but hey, what do you expect from a rear-wheel drive truck?!