1998 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Hate this vehicle
By rsand02 on 02/27/13 12:28 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 ZR2 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Literally the biggest piece of junk I've ever had the displeasure of owning. Purchased it with 40,000 miles. If you enjoy replacing endless front end suspension and steering parts, then this is your baby. The interior levers and latches seem to be made of card board. Had to repair intake manifold gasket, oil lines, AC compressor, ball joints twice, front axle shafts twice, sway bar, steering gear box, and pitman arm. This is before 130K.The engineering team at chevrolet should be take out back and shot for the creation of this monetary black hole. If you are considering buying one of these bang your head against the wall a dozen times and you will have the same experience I have had.

Will last forever
By driven_it_all on 10/02/12 15:16 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought mine used in 2000 with 34k miles. Sold her in 2011 with 240k miles. Pros -never replaced clutch -brakes last long time -never any major work done -decent on gas -took the abuse I gave to it. -motor and transmission are very good Cons -cosmetic & electrical issues -a/c issues ( I gave up after 3rd time) -leaks oil at 100k miles -cluster went out at 200k Would highly recommend if you are looking for a reliable cheap truck.

Best Truck in the World
By ehzzie on 02/07/12 15:16 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

This vehicle was truly a gem. I have driven it to the east coast and to the west coast and pretty much everywhere inbetween. Never had any huge problems until it got to be over 200,000 miles. Then it started nickel and diming me. I have nothing but good to say about this vehicle. If they still made them I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Never again
By compaqter on 01/05/12 02:51 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I should have never bought this piece of junk. This truck will be my first and last GM vehicle I will ever own. The 4cyl engine is awfully underpowered and automatic transmission is sluggish. The cheap material used in this truck is overwhelming, the dashboard is falling apart. The interior rattles all the time. The seat recliner handles broke off, I bought new ones and those broke. A lot of wind noise and rain water occasionally drips inside. The engine service light is always on. Replacing the spark plugs is a nightmare. Heater core leaked and replacing that is also difficult. AC doesn't work. Shocks and struts need to be replaced. Beginning to rust. Low resale value. Poor design.

2nd time around
By john on 10/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is #2 S-10 for me. 2002 Std with 4.3 Vortec. Tranny rebuild and fuel pump at 200,000 miles on first. sold at 225,000. This truck now runs mail route in rural NC. Went through 2 Canyon disasters and then purchased this truck with 51,000 miles on it. Replaced H20 pump, AC unit, alternator, battery,and radiator. had to have drive shaft rebuilt at 85,000. My fault because I let the rear shocks go bad and the rear end had excess drag when towing. Rye Valley Gear in SW Virginia has a rebuild kit for the connector to the rear coupler. Simple inexpensive repair for this problem. Excellent truck and I am very happy. 21 to 23 mpg without trailer. 19 to 21 when towing. Use Shell 87 for fuel.

3rd S-10
By dale on 06/04/10 18:38 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Bought the truck brand new. Loved the truck until I looked at the paint really good after it's first bath. I found 100+ specs in the paint and took the truck to the dealership for repainting. They decided not to paint the truck after having it 3 weeks and I got my truck back color sanded and butter waxed. It looked good when I was walking up but then all I could see was the swirls in the crappy buff job they had done. I put 120,000 miles on it in a year and got another S-10 in 99. other than the paint the truck ran great.

dream truck
By James on 12/24/09 21:32 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I had a big chevy, but wanted a smaller version of the larger truck (1976)never happened until 94. Then the shortbed stepside was produced. Love at first sight. Brought mine in 05. It has been a treasure. It is driven on the road over 200 miles a day five days a week. it had a 2.2 4 cyl. I overheated it driving with the radiator cap off. It had 288k on it then. Replaced motor & drove it a year on the road. Decided I wanted more horsepower. Upgraded drivetrain to v6 power with automatic and now have the truck of my dreams. started to add a v8 but change plans due to mileage driven daily.

Chevy S-10 Overview
By Georgia Cracker on 02/14/09 15:07 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought it with about 70,000 miles on it and have 143,000 now. Uses no oil. Got the V6, A/T, 3rd door option. Had major A/C repair in year two and replaced engine control module recently. Cranks and drives reliably. Keep oil changed and routine service on transmission. Overall, it's been a good truck.

Last Chevy S10
By mbcinos on 01/26/09 18:08 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Junk, junk, and more junk from the GM people. I owned an older S10 (1985) and put 169,000 miles on it. This one has been one nightmare after another. I used to be a GM mechanic, so I saved myself a lot of repair bills. But fuel pump,O2 sensors, map sensor, two coils, various distributor caps, they say napa has the best one, I'm going to try it next. K&N filter helps on gas mileage just as long as you don't spray much oil on it. Intake gaskets leaked antifreeze out instead of in ,so it didn't blow motor, lucky! The check engine light is almost always on and I can't get my brake lights to go out, which by the way is a common problem usualy caused by the master switch.

Missing the little trucks
By Eric on 01/10/09 18:55 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet S-10 ZR2 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've owned my S10 for quite a few years and have moved things that most full-sized trucks couldn't. With the zr2 package I had the advantage of a large truck in a small build and it has never let me down, but as I grow older I realize I need a larger truck. A shame to loose ( almost a family member) it.