1997 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Great looking, great on gas
By ChristopherS on 11/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I've used this truck for 5-1/2 years and have only replaced one radiator (under warranty). Never had any major work. I've driven this truck from Vancouver over the Cascades into Leavenworth several times, as well as down to California twice and Calgary a few times. Great reliable truck! Don't try stacking three guys into a standard cab (did that in LA with no A/C - Oi!) but fits great for two. Super little features (3 cig-lighter- type outlets, many lights, HUGE mirrors) make this truck a pleasure, whether parked (perusing a map) or driving!

Good solid truck
By Ritch on 11/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have had no problems with my truck, the power is great, the gas mileage is okay, never have had to do anything to my truck except maintenance...I would highly recommend a S-10 to anyone...

Lots of Fun packed into a Small Package
By Brocnizer on 10/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

She maybe small, but don't let the looks deceive you. I put around 25,000 miles a year on this truck with current mileage of 127,000 and it has yet to see the shop. Don't think that I baby it either. She pulls a 6,000 pound boat atleast once per week and deals with stop and go traffic every week day. The Vortec V-6 is the absolute perfect match, suprising all those that drive it and watch it work. I usually get a comment at the boat ramp from someone telling me that my truck won't be able pull the boat up the steep launch ramp, and boy are they supprised when they see it come out without any wheel spin.

CHEVY S10
By JOHN TORRES on 09/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

THIS TRUCK IS TO SMALL AND SHOULD ONLY BE FOR SMALL PEOPLE

Low Price for Excellent Quality
By squire46 on 09/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Chevrolet made an excellent small truck in 1997. The mechanical and structural aspects have stood the test of time. The engine and drive train have aged nicely without any major repairs. The engines hummes the same way as when I first bought it. It is an excellent vehicle for someone with light duty chores, but at the same time offers a smoother ride than more sedans.

Surprising reliability
By cajun626 on 08/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

The ONLY reason I even considered buying a GM product was b/c I had a $4K rebate on my GM card. I'm shocked, but I haven't paid a dime for a repair yet (just maint.). Bad stuff - the 3rd door sticks sometimes and shakes, rattles and rolls and the 2.2L is weak.

Maintenance nightmare
By jrhickey on 06/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have put 2 alternators, 3 batteries, a power brake booster, an air conditioner compresser/dryer, a wiper motor, a signal flasher, a water pump, a thermostat, a passenger side mirror, and a rearview mirror. Not to mention the normal stuff like brakes, tires, alignment, filters, and fluids. I just turned 80,000 miles. That is only about 16,000 per year. NEVER EVER AGAIN will I buy an S-10 anything. JRH

Best pick-up I've had in years
By Dave Simon on 05/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is the best pickup I've ever had. I go through everything with it. I go up in the mountains about every month and it's a very smooth ride. I can go anywhere I go camping with the truck also.

Very Reliable & Inexpensive Lil Truck
By Daniel Brown on 03/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

I realize that there are better trucks out there, but for the price that I purchase my truck new 5 years ago at $11,000 I have no regrets. My little S-10, stripped w/no original extras, has been a blessing. I have had no problems whatsoever, which is good because I am not mechanically incline, with it and I currently have 110,000 miles on it. The only real drawback is that the 4cyl does not have much power-but hey, I get above 25mpg!

Pretty Good Little Truck
By Crash on 03/05/02 17:19 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

LS trim package Ext. Cab. Purchased in March 1997. Vortec V6 w/4-speed automatic tranmission. Current milage - 75k. Not a bad little pickup. The performance is nice, although I think the transmission could be a little more refined. It's had about $600 worth of repair work over the past 5 years, which isn't bad. Despite the problems, the return on my purchase has far outweighed the problems. I am a satisfied customer.