Used 1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

This truck is the worst!
By ozonewht

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I drive the 4cyl. version. I bought this truck brand new. I have had nothing but problems. The CD player has been replaced twice, the radiator replaced, windshield wipers were defective, the seatbelts were defective, Im on my 3rd AC compressor, the alarm was defective,the door handle fell out of the door-had to replaced, battery has had to be replaced 4 times- truck wouldnt start when I had to go to work, the gas gauge broke after 3 years, rearview mirror fell off. 3rd door rattles. Seats wore out after 2 years.I bought a extended warranty up 75000 miles, but things really needed to be replaced after 80000 miles.

Favorite Features

none.

Suggested Improvements

Don't turn on the AC if your trying to get on the freeway!!

mixed review
By Jim1243567

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

overall truck has been dependable. Looks good, body has held up well. v-6 has plenty of power. However, 4wd not working right out of showroom. I found out in snow storm. Trans went at 36437 miles, that's right 437 miles out of warranty. Caused by faulty switch for 4wd. Turning radius is very poor for such a small truck. Stepside box is too narrow, you can't fit a sheet of plywood in it. 3rd door rattles. Jump seat is useless.

Favorite Features

3rd door is convenient. V-6 has a lot of power

Suggested Improvements

Tighter turning radius. Real seats in extended cab. Bigger stepside box. Fix rattling 3rd door.

Runnin' son-of-a-gun
By HGW

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I'm extremely happy with my S-10. My gas mileage isn't too hot, but it's so fun to drive, I don't care. Besides, I'm probably most of the problem (quick jackrabbit starts, driving fast, etc.).

Favorite Features

The 4.3L Vortec V-6 has LOTS of power and spirit, especially for a small truck. It's fun to stomp on!

Suggested Improvements

Redesign internal/behind the dashboard to accept full-size aftermarket stereo without a dashkit that sticks out 1".

Bought Used
By StevL

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought this truck used for my 16 year old son. The V6 has good response and is a positive. Transmission had to have work after 5,000 miles. Side mirrors rattle terribly. Cab fairly noisey. Had to replace wiper motor after 3,000 miles. Two O2 sensors after 6,000 miles. At about 7,000 mile (now) the a/c compressor is leaking. This truck had one owner and looked very good for it's age. I had it checked out by a Chevy dealership before purchase. Everything was checked to be in "Excellent" condition. Truck had 112,000 miles when purchased.

Favorite Features

V6, good engine, smooth, repsonsive, plenty of power for a small truck.

Suggested Improvements

Interior, mirrors, a/c compressor (mine had been replaced once before we bought this truck and now it needs a second), and transmission could be a little smoother

Biggest lemon ever built
By Stomper

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Since day one never ran right with miss in engine and stalling spent most of first two years in service bays. Trans. died at 75000mi. Compressor died at 20000mi. Movement in rear axle since 50000mi. Chevy says that is ok no problem!!!. All S-10 have that problem, learn to live with it!!!!

Favorite Features

Comfort, and a decient paint job.

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate useless "JUMP SEATS" replace with a fold up bench seat. Move front speakers from doors they are to easy to break by being kicked or bumped. Glove box pretty small and useless.