1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
This truck is the worst!
By ozonewht on 01/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I drive the 4cyl. version. I bought this truck brand new. I have had nothing but problems. The CD player has been replaced twice, the radiator replaced, windshield wipers were defective, the seatbelts were defective, Im on my 3rd AC compressor, the alarm was defective,the door handle fell out of the door-had to replaced, battery has had to be replaced 4 times- truck wouldnt start when I had to go to work, the gas gauge broke after 3 years, rearview mirror fell off. 3rd door rattles. Seats wore out after 2 years.I bought a extended warranty up 75000 miles, but things really needed to be replaced after 80000 miles.

mixed review
By Jim1243567 on 12/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

overall truck has been dependable. Looks good, body has held up well. v-6 has plenty of power. However, 4wd not working right out of showroom. I found out in snow storm. Trans went at 36437 miles, that's right 437 miles out of warranty. Caused by faulty switch for 4wd. Turning radius is very poor for such a small truck. Stepside box is too narrow, you can't fit a sheet of plywood in it. 3rd door rattles. Jump seat is useless.

Runnin' son-of-a-gun
By HGW on 08/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I'm extremely happy with my S-10. My gas mileage isn't too hot, but it's so fun to drive, I don't care. Besides, I'm probably most of the problem (quick jackrabbit starts, driving fast, etc.).

Bought Used
By StevL on 07/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought this truck used for my 16 year old son. The V6 has good response and is a positive. Transmission had to have work after 5,000 miles. Side mirrors rattle terribly. Cab fairly noisey. Had to replace wiper motor after 3,000 miles. Two O2 sensors after 6,000 miles. At about 7,000 mile (now) the a/c compressor is leaking. This truck had one owner and looked very good for it's age. I had it checked out by a Chevy dealership before purchase. Everything was checked to be in "Excellent" condition. Truck had 112,000 miles when purchased.

Biggest lemon ever built
By Stomper on 06/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Since day one never ran right with miss in engine and stalling spent most of first two years in service bays. Trans. died at 75000mi. Compressor died at 20000mi. Movement in rear axle since 50000mi. Chevy says that is ok no problem!!!. All S-10 have that problem, learn to live with it!!!!

Sweet Trucks
By Gomer Pile on 01/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

S-10s are awesome little trucks, especially the 4.3 with a five speed. These things are verry quick for compact trucks. Quick, nimble, good gas mileage, looks good doing it. This particular truck has the ZQ8 suspension package and an SS motor. Also it has been lowered and has performance shocks and tires to enhance it's qualitys.

Good solid truck
By Ritch on 11/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have had no problems with my truck, the power is great, the gas mileage is okay, never have had to do anything to my truck except maintenance...I would highly recommend a S-10 to anyone...

CHEVY S10
By JOHN TORRES on 09/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

THIS TRUCK IS TO SMALL AND SHOULD ONLY BE FOR SMALL PEOPLE

Surprising reliability
By cajun626 on 08/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

The ONLY reason I even considered buying a GM product was b/c I had a $4K rebate on my GM card. I'm shocked, but I haven't paid a dime for a repair yet (just maint.). Bad stuff - the 3rd door sticks sometimes and shakes, rattles and rolls and the 2.2L is weak.

Maintenance nightmare
By jrhickey on 06/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have put 2 alternators, 3 batteries, a power brake booster, an air conditioner compresser/dryer, a wiper motor, a signal flasher, a water pump, a thermostat, a passenger side mirror, and a rearview mirror. Not to mention the normal stuff like brakes, tires, alignment, filters, and fluids. I just turned 80,000 miles. That is only about 16,000 per year. NEVER EVER AGAIN will I buy an S-10 anything. JRH