Used 1997 Chevrolet S-10 Base Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Big Results from a Little Truck
By Jay

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my truck used from a friend who had two trucks. This is a great and dependable truck. I use my truck for work and decided since I was going to school to drive it. I drove from North Carolina to El Paso Texas no issue. The only thing that I did was change the timing belt and started using synthetic oil. Awesome truck!!

Great little truck
By BigRed3195

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

Love this truck and I would recommend one to anyone. Chevy made a big mistake when they stopped making them. They are very reliable and are a joy to own and drive. Great on gas too, I'm currently getting 30+ mpg on the highway and 25+ mpg city driving. Great performance for a 4-cylinder truck, even when loaded. Easy to modify to. This S10 is the 2nd one that I've owned for a work truck and I have had 3 others for project trucks/ street machines. Love em.

Favorite Features

Stick shift, rear wheel drive, good performance for a 4-cylinder truck, even when loaded, easy to modify into a street machine.

Suggested Improvements

Add an additional leaf spring to the back if you are planning on having a lot of weight in the back for long periods of time

Most Reliable Vehicle I Ever Owned
By OregonDan

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I just read through a few of the S-10 reviews and thought I should add my 2 cents. Purchased the truck for $10K drove it over 100,000 miles and never had any problems except for a burned out fuse ($5) and I replaced myself... and I'm NOT mechanically inclined. I sold the truck in 2001 for $5100 with 110K miles and regret not keeping it longer. Used it for commuting to college and hauling firewood. Great little truck. I may have gotten the 1 out of 1000... but sold the truck to a manager at Pepsi for his daughter and he informed me that Pepsi runs a fleet of lil S-10 trucks and all of them have passed 100K miles+ with little to none problems.

Favorite Features

Surprising build quality and durability. Decent on gas mileage, 20- 25 mpg. Excellent price and low maintainance!

Suggested Improvements

Intermittent wipers standard equipment. 4 cyl a little weak climbing hills

little red truck
By bird

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

The truck was not what I wanted. Small, no frills. But when I drove it my mind changed. It's fun to drive around the city, if you like to drive. Oh it's a 5 speed and I use it. Like most things we drive it could use more power, but then again I wouldn't be passing as many gas stations. I plan on keeping it until it or I give out. So far other the regular maintenance it's got all the factory parts except the rear U joint. Great Driver

Favorite Features

it's so easy to work on

Suggested Improvements

none at this time

super fun
By mike's'97

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

this truck us super fun to own service and drive. the cab is a little small for three people but well designed.

Favorite Features

good gas milage,quick enough to get out of it's own way.

Suggested Improvements

40 series flowmasters k&n intake, jet chip and every thing was much better.