1997 Chevrolet S-10 Base Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Big Results from a Little Truck
By Jay

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my truck used from a friend who had two trucks. This is a great and dependable truck. I use my truck for work and decided since I was going to school to drive it. I drove from North Carolina to El Paso Texas no issue. The only thing that I did was change the timing belt and started using synthetic oil. Awesome truck!!

Great little truck
By BigRed3195

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

Love this truck and I would recommend one to anyone. Chevy made a big mistake when they stopped making them. They are very reliable and are a joy to own and drive. Great on gas too, I'm currently getting 30+ mpg on the highway and 25+ mpg city driving. Great performance for a 4-cylinder truck, even when loaded. Easy to modify to. This S10 is the 2nd one that I've owned for a work truck and I have had 3 others for project trucks/ street machines. Love em.

Favorite Features

Stick shift, rear wheel drive, good performance for a 4-cylinder truck, even when loaded, easy to modify into a street machine.

Suggested Improvements

Add an additional leaf spring to the back if you are planning on having a lot of weight in the back for long periods of time

Most Reliable Vehicle I Ever Owned
By OregonDan

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I just read through a few of the S-10 reviews and thought I should add my 2 cents. Purchased the truck for $10K drove it over 100,000 miles and never had any problems except for a burned out fuse ($5) and I replaced myself... and I'm NOT mechanically inclined. I sold the truck in 2001 for $5100 with 110K miles and regret not keeping it longer. Used it for commuting to college and hauling firewood. Great little truck. I may have gotten the 1 out of 1000... but sold the truck to a manager at Pepsi for his daughter and he informed me that Pepsi runs a fleet of lil S-10 trucks and all of them have passed 100K miles+ with little to none problems.

Favorite Features

Surprising build quality and durability. Decent on gas mileage, 20- 25 mpg. Excellent price and low maintainance!

Suggested Improvements

Intermittent wipers standard equipment. 4 cyl a little weak climbing hills

little red truck
By bird

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

The truck was not what I wanted. Small, no frills. But when I drove it my mind changed. It's fun to drive around the city, if you like to drive. Oh it's a 5 speed and I use it. Like most things we drive it could use more power, but then again I wouldn't be passing as many gas stations. I plan on keeping it until it or I give out. So far other the regular maintenance it's got all the factory parts except the rear U joint. Great Driver

Favorite Features

it's so easy to work on

Suggested Improvements

none at this time

super fun
By mike's'97

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

this truck us super fun to own service and drive. the cab is a little small for three people but well designed.

Favorite Features

good gas milage,quick enough to get out of it's own way.

Suggested Improvements

40 series flowmasters k&n intake, jet chip and every thing was much better.

Best pick-up I've had in years
By Dave Simon

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is the best pickup I've ever had. I go through everything with it. I go up in the mountains about every month and it's a very smooth ride. I can go anywhere I go camping with the truck also.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are its huge extended cab which help alot when carrying big loads. Also the seats are very comfortable, espeacilly when four wheeling it.

Suggested Improvements

I don't think it needs very many improvements because it is a very good truck. All I think they should put on it are some bigger tires and more luxury features on the inside like a cd player and a GPS so I don't ever get lost.

Very Reliable & Inexpensive Lil Truck
By Daniel Brown

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I realize that there are better trucks out there, but for the price that I purchase my truck new 5 years ago at $11,000 I have no regrets. My little S-10, stripped w/no original extras, has been a blessing. I have had no problems whatsoever, which is good because I am not mechanically incline, with it and I currently have 110,000 miles on it. The only real drawback is that the 4cyl does not have much power-but hey, I get above 25mpg!

Favorite Features

Reliability and gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

More power