1997 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Decent truck
By Travis on 10/20/09 17:26 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I've owned this truck since 2004 (I bought it with 120K miles) and I've put about 50K miles on it. Recently I've been using it to do a 400 mile round trip each week: its comfy for the long ride, its been reliable, and I regularly get between 22 and 25 mpg on these long trips. I've had no major problems with it. About 10K miles ago, the fuel gauge stopped giving an accurate reading (it drops rapidly and then hovers above empty). And simple maintenance is all but impossible because everything is packed-in tightly. Granted I'm not mechanically inclined... Installing a custom stereo was a pain-- the dash is hard to remove. I'd love to get a new car, but this thing just won't seem to die.

Big Results from a Little Truck
By Jay on 08/29/09 14:33 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my truck used from a friend who had two trucks. This is a great and dependable truck. I use my truck for work and decided since I was going to school to drive it. I drove from North Carolina to El Paso Texas no issue. The only thing that I did was change the timing belt and started using synthetic oil. Awesome truck!!

1997 S10 2dr LS Regular Cab
By Mawarikomi on 02/06/09 14:53 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my truck used from a dealer at 44k miles and took it only to 120k before I had enough. Quality was atrocious - interior panels cracked and fell off, mirrors fatigued and broke off. The truck would not start in humid (90%+), cold weather (especially 32-45F), really cold weather was fine. I got a head gasket leak at 80k and had to repair the tranny at about 110k (both those seem normal for the driving I did so not really a gripe). My brake lines blew out despite having been regularly inspected. Here's a positive note, the engine was awesome despite the head gasket and tranny. If the rest of the truck could have kept up with the engine the truck would have been a keeper.

S-10 Truck
By Tom on 06/20/08 21:53 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab LB

This truck has been and continues to be a good little truck. I use it for hauling and driving back and forth to work. It now has 141,000 miles on it and I have not had to do anything major except for replacing the transmission a few years ago. I was very disappointed in the way this whole issue was handled by GM. At one pont they said they would stand by what they sold and I ended up with a different person and the whole thing was stopped and I ended up having to pay $2500 out of my pocket.

Great little truck
By BigRed3195 on 06/16/08 15:37 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

Love this truck and I would recommend one to anyone. Chevy made a big mistake when they stopped making them. They are very reliable and are a joy to own and drive. Great on gas too, I'm currently getting 30+ mpg on the highway and 25+ mpg city driving. Great performance for a 4-cylinder truck, even when loaded. Easy to modify to. This S10 is the 2nd one that I've owned for a work truck and I have had 3 others for project trucks/ street machines. Love em.

Why Chevy lost me as a customer
By Pete792 on 06/21/07 15:11 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I bought a '97 S-10 brand new, at the end of '96. It was a great looking truck, and appeared to be a decent vehicle when I test drove it. Little did I know what a lemon this piece of junk would turn out to be! Until I bought this truck I was a Chevy fan. But it didn't take long before I felt like they had taken advantage of me. I read many of the reviews, and was amazed I had identical problems with my S-10. Like the rear view mirror falling off, and the gas gauge breaking after about 3 years, and the A/C problems. Not to mention the engine repeatedly over heating and eventually burning up and had to be replaced. Pieces continue to fall off and things break regularly. Avoid this lemon!

Good so far
By jpearce on 09/17/05 06:27 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Just bought the pickup in sept 2005. It is a black reg cab SB LS/ZR2 model.An excellent, sharp looking truck! I picked it up with only 20,000 miles, being a 1997!! and have put around 600 0n it. So far it is great but the rear wheels' ABS sensor failed and is being replaced on warranty.

Most Reliable Vehicle I Ever Owned
By OregonDan on 08/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I just read through a few of the S-10 reviews and thought I should add my 2 cents. Purchased the truck for $10K drove it over 100,000 miles and never had any problems except for a burned out fuse ($5) and I replaced myself... and I'm NOT mechanically inclined. I sold the truck in 2001 for $5100 with 110K miles and regret not keeping it longer. Used it for commuting to college and hauling firewood. Great little truck. I may have gotten the 1 out of 1000... but sold the truck to a manager at Pepsi for his daughter and he informed me that Pepsi runs a fleet of lil S-10 trucks and all of them have passed 100K miles+ with little to none problems.

A bit disappointed
By oxguru on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have been rather disappointed in this vehicle, considering my father's 1993 Chevy Silverado is still going strong at over 100K miles. I only have about 66K miles, and have had, in the past three months, to put almost $1500 into this for things that should still be working fine. I have been pretty good about regular maintenance, so I've been pretty annoyed of late. Time to trade in for a (gasp) foreign car make.

little red truck
By bird on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

The truck was not what I wanted. Small, no frills. But when I drove it my mind changed. It's fun to drive around the city, if you like to drive. Oh it's a 5 speed and I use it. Like most things we drive it could use more power, but then again I wouldn't be passing as many gas stations. I plan on keeping it until it or I give out. So far other the regular maintenance it's got all the factory parts except the rear U joint. Great Driver