1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Tough little truck
By S10man on 02/04/09 19:31 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck was given to me by grandfather after he died and it has been very reliable. I have just turned 16 and I've been rough with this truck and it still holds up. The 4.3 V6 was the best V6 ever made. Actually it is a 350 block with two cylinders chopped off. It has the same size pistons and everything. It has a lot of power and will still lay you back in your seat with over 106,000 miles on it. The only thing I've ever had to do to it was change the oil and I put a K&N lifetime air filter in it. The only thing that has gone wrong with it is the compressor had a leak that I fixed easily. Other than that it has been great.

Reliability and Miles
By James B on 08/03/07 00:54 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have not had one single major problem with this truck. I absolutly love this truck. When I first bought the truck my freinds said, "The transmission is gonna break down first. 225,000 miles later and still no problem. This is a very well built truck. Truly the heartbeat of my needs and Chevy is truly The Heartbeat of America.

Chevrolet S10
By wbchevy on 09/27/06 21:07 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Fantastic truck, excellent power for this vehicle class, and excellent overall value. This truck provides the perfect combination of form and function, providing good fuel mileage and overall capability. The cabin is quiet and well layed out, providing good room for most all passenger sizes. Overall, I would highly recommend this vehicle as it provides nearly full size capability with compact fuel economy of over 20mpg.

Many Electrical and Engine Problems
By jack on 08/12/06 09:29 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this truck used from a local dealer with around 97,000 miles on it. It has had constant problems with electrical shorts in the wiring bundle. ECM circuit problems including fuel pump and ignition . I will never buy a S-10 again after reading all the comments on numerous sites . Chevy will continue to lose capital if they don't do a better job on quality control. Any one want a 97 s-10 cheap? Looking at Toyota after reading consumer reports.

Pretty Satisfied
By Central VA on 05/19/06 09:45 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought my S10 used 6 years ago, have driven it about 50K miles. Had to replace an alternator, battery and mirror, but otherwise nothing but tires and routine maintenance. Gas mileage isn't very good, but truck is good looking, fun to drive and comfortable. 5 speed and V6 are a good combination. Paid $9000 for it used, according to Edmunds, it's still worth over $4300. Pretty darn good buy as far as I can tell.

Okay Car
By Adam W. on 04/21/06 13:08 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck with 135,000miles on it. About 2000 miles later I needed a new transmission. At 142,000 I needed a new gas line, brake line, and gas tank. I still need to get a O2 sensor, fuel sensor, new shocks, my transmission still isn't that great, and the gas mileage for a 4 cylinder isn't that great. All in all I wish I just bought a nice sedan..

Alright car
By Adam on 08/30/05 10:24 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought the car with 135k miles on it and within 800 miles I needed a new transmission, but other than that its a good truck to have

1997 S10 Etx Cab
By Deerehere on 04/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I bought this truck new 7 years ago. I has been a great running and reliable truck.

My S-10
By papaptl on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

No mechanical trouble in 14 mos. ownership, even though I just turned 151k mi. I just do regular maintenance and put a set of tires on her.

Piece of Junk
By Jhow0672 on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Only 66,000 miles but already had driveshaft fall off, computer died, radiator leak, water pump died, intake manifold leaked, air-conditioning died, windshield wipers had a manufacturing defect that I fixed myself.. generally unreliable truck.