Used 1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Tough little truck
By S10man

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck was given to me by grandfather after he died and it has been very reliable. I have just turned 16 and I've been rough with this truck and it still holds up. The 4.3 V6 was the best V6 ever made. Actually it is a 350 block with two cylinders chopped off. It has the same size pistons and everything. It has a lot of power and will still lay you back in your seat with over 106,000 miles on it. The only thing I've ever had to do to it was change the oil and I put a K&N lifetime air filter in it. The only thing that has gone wrong with it is the compressor had a leak that I fixed easily. Other than that it has been great.

4x4, alloy wheels,easy to work on, great power in 4.3 V6. it's a Chevy, enough said.

Aftermarket cd player, two ten inch subs in a box behind seat in extended cab part, upgraded tires, put real seats in it not jump seat.

Reliability and Miles
By James B

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have not had one single major problem with this truck. I absolutly love this truck. When I first bought the truck my freinds said, "The transmission is gonna break down first. 225,000 miles later and still no problem. This is a very well built truck. Truly the heartbeat of my needs and Chevy is truly The Heartbeat of America.

Smooth and stable ride.

Stronger center arm rest.

Chevrolet S10
By wbchevy

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Fantastic truck, excellent power for this vehicle class, and excellent overall value. This truck provides the perfect combination of form and function, providing good fuel mileage and overall capability. The cabin is quiet and well layed out, providing good room for most all passenger sizes. Overall, I would highly recommend this vehicle as it provides nearly full size capability with compact fuel economy of over 20mpg.

The 4.3L V6 is very torquey, providing plenty of go for this vehicle. With the 4L60E transmission providing good performance, and very smooth operation. The truck is more capable than the specs lay out easily handling 1600lbs of payload and capably handling the full towing capacity of 5500lbs.

Many Electrical and Engine Problems
By jack

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this truck used from a local dealer with around 97,000 miles on it. It has had constant problems with electrical shorts in the wiring bundle. ECM circuit problems including fuel pump and ignition . I will never buy a S-10 again after reading all the comments on numerous sites . Chevy will continue to lose capital if they don't do a better job on quality control. Any one want a 97 s-10 cheap? Looking at Toyota after reading consumer reports.

Small, cramped. Cheap ride.

Elecrical rerouting. Emission controls improvements. Drive shaft balance improvements.

Pretty Satisfied
By Central VA

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought my S10 used 6 years ago, have driven it about 50K miles. Had to replace an alternator, battery and mirror, but otherwise nothing but tires and routine maintenance. Gas mileage isn't very good, but truck is good looking, fun to drive and comfortable. 5 speed and V6 are a good combination. Paid $9000 for it used, according to Edmunds, it's still worth over $4300. Pretty darn good buy as far as I can tell.

Fun to drive, good looking, strong engine (V6)

Gas mileage, interior trim is a little flimsy and cheap looking