Used 1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Decent truck
By Travis

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I've owned this truck since 2004 (I bought it with 120K miles) and I've put about 50K miles on it. Recently I've been using it to do a 400 mile round trip each week: its comfy for the long ride, its been reliable, and I regularly get between 22 and 25 mpg on these long trips. I've had no major problems with it. About 10K miles ago, the fuel gauge stopped giving an accurate reading (it drops rapidly and then hovers above empty). And simple maintenance is all but impossible because everything is packed-in tightly. Granted I'm not mechanically inclined... Installing a custom stereo was a pain-- the dash is hard to remove. I'd love to get a new car, but this thing just won't seem to die.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats; compact, car-sized design; non-descript look

Suggested Improvements

Since this truck is weak on power anyway, it might be worth it to reconfigure the engine for efficiency.

1997 S10 2dr LS Regular Cab
By Mawarikomi

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my truck used from a dealer at 44k miles and took it only to 120k before I had enough. Quality was atrocious - interior panels cracked and fell off, mirrors fatigued and broke off. The truck would not start in humid (90%+), cold weather (especially 32-45F), really cold weather was fine. I got a head gasket leak at 80k and had to repair the tranny at about 110k (both those seem normal for the driving I did so not really a gripe). My brake lines blew out despite having been regularly inspected. Here's a positive note, the engine was awesome despite the head gasket and tranny. If the rest of the truck could have kept up with the engine the truck would have been a keeper.

Favorite Features

Instrument and panel layout convenient; controls handy. Fluid checks relatively easy.

Suggested Improvements

Make engine compartment less cramped; I had to reach through the wheel well to change plug wires; if manufactured again, improve build quality.

A bit disappointed
By oxguru

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have been rather disappointed in this vehicle, considering my father's 1993 Chevy Silverado is still going strong at over 100K miles. I only have about 66K miles, and have had, in the past three months, to put almost $1500 into this for things that should still be working fine. I have been pretty good about regular maintenance, so I've been pretty annoyed of late. Time to trade in for a (gasp) foreign car make.

Favorite Features

For a truck, this actually does reasonably well on gas mileage. It's also not all that uncomfortable on a long ride.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. Why can my drivetrain not last 66K miles without major investment? Size. I was eagerly anticipating the new Colorado, but am now looking elsewhere.

1997 Chevy S10 LS 2WD Regular Cab Review
By BCJ

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

This truck is real nice to me. I drive it a lot, but mechanically it is not to strong. I've had to replace the water pump and fan bracket and this truck only has 69,000 original miles on it.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage

Suggested Improvements

Mechanical Functions such as the water pump, fan bracket, brakes, etc need to be better designed.

My first compact pick-up
By hadleybradley

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

This vehicle siutes my needs very well. It has never let me down, ecsept for the ocational battery failure, but all automobiles have this concern. The four cylender is OK on gas, but has potient torque off the line, even when towing. The S-10 i think is the perfect first vehicle for your kids, very reliable, stylish good looks, and easy on the bank! Oh and dont forget the drivers side air bag, a must have now a days!

Favorite Features

The interier lighting is very modern with 5 idividual bulbs lighting the way in on a dark night.

Suggested Improvements

MORE LEG ROOM PLEASE!