1997 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Decent truck
By Travis on 10/20/09 17:26 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I've owned this truck since 2004 (I bought it with 120K miles) and I've put about 50K miles on it. Recently I've been using it to do a 400 mile round trip each week: its comfy for the long ride, its been reliable, and I regularly get between 22 and 25 mpg on these long trips. I've had no major problems with it. About 10K miles ago, the fuel gauge stopped giving an accurate reading (it drops rapidly and then hovers above empty). And simple maintenance is all but impossible because everything is packed-in tightly. Granted I'm not mechanically inclined... Installing a custom stereo was a pain-- the dash is hard to remove. I'd love to get a new car, but this thing just won't seem to die.

1997 S10 2dr LS Regular Cab
By Mawarikomi on 02/06/09 14:53 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my truck used from a dealer at 44k miles and took it only to 120k before I had enough. Quality was atrocious - interior panels cracked and fell off, mirrors fatigued and broke off. The truck would not start in humid (90%+), cold weather (especially 32-45F), really cold weather was fine. I got a head gasket leak at 80k and had to repair the tranny at about 110k (both those seem normal for the driving I did so not really a gripe). My brake lines blew out despite having been regularly inspected. Here's a positive note, the engine was awesome despite the head gasket and tranny. If the rest of the truck could have kept up with the engine the truck would have been a keeper.

A bit disappointed
By oxguru on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have been rather disappointed in this vehicle, considering my father's 1993 Chevy Silverado is still going strong at over 100K miles. I only have about 66K miles, and have had, in the past three months, to put almost $1500 into this for things that should still be working fine. I have been pretty good about regular maintenance, so I've been pretty annoyed of late. Time to trade in for a (gasp) foreign car make.

1997 Chevy S10 LS 2WD Regular Cab Review
By BCJ on 07/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

This truck is real nice to me. I drive it a lot, but mechanically it is not to strong. I've had to replace the water pump and fan bracket and this truck only has 69,000 original miles on it.

My first compact pick-up
By hadleybradley on 01/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

This vehicle siutes my needs very well. It has never let me down, ecsept for the ocational battery failure, but all automobiles have this concern. The four cylender is OK on gas, but has potient torque off the line, even when towing. The S-10 i think is the perfect first vehicle for your kids, very reliable, stylish good looks, and easy on the bank! Oh and dont forget the drivers side air bag, a must have now a days!

Lots of Fun packed into a Small Package
By Brocnizer on 10/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

She maybe small, but don't let the looks deceive you. I put around 25,000 miles a year on this truck with current mileage of 127,000 and it has yet to see the shop. Don't think that I baby it either. She pulls a 6,000 pound boat atleast once per week and deals with stop and go traffic every week day. The Vortec V-6 is the absolute perfect match, suprising all those that drive it and watch it work. I usually get a comment at the boat ramp from someone telling me that my truck won't be able pull the boat up the steep launch ramp, and boy are they supprised when they see it come out without any wheel spin.

Low Price for Excellent Quality
By squire46 on 09/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Chevrolet made an excellent small truck in 1997. The mechanical and structural aspects have stood the test of time. The engine and drive train have aged nicely without any major repairs. The engines hummes the same way as when I first bought it. It is an excellent vehicle for someone with light duty chores, but at the same time offers a smoother ride than more sedans.