1997 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Reliability and Miles
By James B on 08/03/07 00:54 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have not had one single major problem with this truck. I absolutly love this truck. When I first bought the truck my freinds said, "The transmission is gonna break down first. 225,000 miles later and still no problem. This is a very well built truck. Truly the heartbeat of my needs and Chevy is truly The Heartbeat of America.

Many Electrical and Engine Problems
By jack on 08/12/06 09:29 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this truck used from a local dealer with around 97,000 miles on it. It has had constant problems with electrical shorts in the wiring bundle. ECM circuit problems including fuel pump and ignition . I will never buy a S-10 again after reading all the comments on numerous sites . Chevy will continue to lose capital if they don't do a better job on quality control. Any one want a 97 s-10 cheap? Looking at Toyota after reading consumer reports.

Pretty Satisfied
By Central VA on 05/19/06 09:45 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought my S10 used 6 years ago, have driven it about 50K miles. Had to replace an alternator, battery and mirror, but otherwise nothing but tires and routine maintenance. Gas mileage isn't very good, but truck is good looking, fun to drive and comfortable. 5 speed and V6 are a good combination. Paid $9000 for it used, according to Edmunds, it's still worth over $4300. Pretty darn good buy as far as I can tell.

Okay Car
By Adam W. on 04/21/06 13:08 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck with 135,000miles on it. About 2000 miles later I needed a new transmission. At 142,000 I needed a new gas line, brake line, and gas tank. I still need to get a O2 sensor, fuel sensor, new shocks, my transmission still isn't that great, and the gas mileage for a 4 cylinder isn't that great. All in all I wish I just bought a nice sedan..

Alright car
By Adam on 08/30/05 10:24 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought the car with 135k miles on it and within 800 miles I needed a new transmission, but other than that its a good truck to have

My S-10
By papaptl on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

No mechanical trouble in 14 mos. ownership, even though I just turned 151k mi. I just do regular maintenance and put a set of tires on her.

Piece of Junk
By Jhow0672 on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Only 66,000 miles but already had driveshaft fall off, computer died, radiator leak, water pump died, intake manifold leaked, air-conditioning died, windshield wipers had a manufacturing defect that I fixed myself.. generally unreliable truck.

This truck is the worst!
By ozonewht on 01/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I drive the 4cyl. version. I bought this truck brand new. I have had nothing but problems. The CD player has been replaced twice, the radiator replaced, windshield wipers were defective, the seatbelts were defective, Im on my 3rd AC compressor, the alarm was defective,the door handle fell out of the door-had to replaced, battery has had to be replaced 4 times- truck wouldnt start when I had to go to work, the gas gauge broke after 3 years, rearview mirror fell off. 3rd door rattles. Seats wore out after 2 years.I bought a extended warranty up 75000 miles, but things really needed to be replaced after 80000 miles.

Runnin' son-of-a-gun
By HGW on 08/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I'm extremely happy with my S-10. My gas mileage isn't too hot, but it's so fun to drive, I don't care. Besides, I'm probably most of the problem (quick jackrabbit starts, driving fast, etc.).

Bought Used
By StevL on 07/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought this truck used for my 16 year old son. The V6 has good response and is a positive. Transmission had to have work after 5,000 miles. Side mirrors rattle terribly. Cab fairly noisey. Had to replace wiper motor after 3,000 miles. Two O2 sensors after 6,000 miles. At about 7,000 mile (now) the a/c compressor is leaking. This truck had one owner and looked very good for it's age. I had it checked out by a Chevy dealership before purchase. Everything was checked to be in "Excellent" condition. Truck had 112,000 miles when purchased.