Used 1997 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Decent truck
By Travis

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I've owned this truck since 2004 (I bought it with 120K miles) and I've put about 50K miles on it. Recently I've been using it to do a 400 mile round trip each week: its comfy for the long ride, its been reliable, and I regularly get between 22 and 25 mpg on these long trips. I've had no major problems with it. About 10K miles ago, the fuel gauge stopped giving an accurate reading (it drops rapidly and then hovers above empty). And simple maintenance is all but impossible because everything is packed-in tightly. Granted I'm not mechanically inclined... Installing a custom stereo was a pain-- the dash is hard to remove. I'd love to get a new car, but this thing just won't seem to die.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats; compact, car-sized design; non-descript look

Suggested Improvements

Since this truck is weak on power anyway, it might be worth it to reconfigure the engine for efficiency.

Big Results from a Little Truck
By Jay

1997 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my truck used from a friend who had two trucks. This is a great and dependable truck. I use my truck for work and decided since I was going to school to drive it. I drove from North Carolina to El Paso Texas no issue. The only thing that I did was change the timing belt and started using synthetic oil. Awesome truck!!

1997 S10 2dr LS Regular Cab
By Mawarikomi

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my truck used from a dealer at 44k miles and took it only to 120k before I had enough. Quality was atrocious - interior panels cracked and fell off, mirrors fatigued and broke off. The truck would not start in humid (90%+), cold weather (especially 32-45F), really cold weather was fine. I got a head gasket leak at 80k and had to repair the tranny at about 110k (both those seem normal for the driving I did so not really a gripe). My brake lines blew out despite having been regularly inspected. Here's a positive note, the engine was awesome despite the head gasket and tranny. If the rest of the truck could have kept up with the engine the truck would have been a keeper.

Favorite Features

Instrument and panel layout convenient; controls handy. Fluid checks relatively easy.

Suggested Improvements

Make engine compartment less cramped; I had to reach through the wheel well to change plug wires; if manufactured again, improve build quality.

Tough little truck
By S10man

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck was given to me by grandfather after he died and it has been very reliable. I have just turned 16 and I've been rough with this truck and it still holds up. The 4.3 V6 was the best V6 ever made. Actually it is a 350 block with two cylinders chopped off. It has the same size pistons and everything. It has a lot of power and will still lay you back in your seat with over 106,000 miles on it. The only thing I've ever had to do to it was change the oil and I put a K&N lifetime air filter in it. The only thing that has gone wrong with it is the compressor had a leak that I fixed easily. Other than that it has been great.

Favorite Features

4x4, alloy wheels,easy to work on, great power in 4.3 V6. it's a Chevy, enough said.

Suggested Improvements

Aftermarket cd player, two ten inch subs in a box behind seat in extended cab part, upgraded tires, put real seats in it not jump seat.

S-10 Truck
By Tom

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab LB

This truck has been and continues to be a good little truck. I use it for hauling and driving back and forth to work. It now has 141,000 miles on it and I have not had to do anything major except for replacing the transmission a few years ago. I was very disappointed in the way this whole issue was handled by GM. At one pont they said they would stand by what they sold and I ended up with a different person and the whole thing was stopped and I ended up having to pay $2500 out of my pocket.

Favorite Features

Body and paint holds up well. This truck looks very good for being 11 years old. I get compliments on her all of the time. I really baby my cars though.