Second S10 I Shouldn't Have Bought
By nomad on
1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB
This is my second s10 and both have had a SEVERE lack of power, to the point where your leg hurts after going up any little hill. The 4 cylinder is known for this, but these were the 4.3 v6 models! The problem is with the prehistoric overhead valve design the GM still puts in nearly all the vehicles even though every other manufacturer has moved to overhead cam design. If the previous owner didn't change their oil every 2000 miles or sooner, the lifters will mess up by 100,000 miles and the only fix will be to pump $500 into the engine, or buy a new engine altogether.
Favorite Features
I love the exterior of the s10s. They are definitely the sportiest of all the small trucks. I also like the horsepower/torque numbers that the v6 is 'supposed' to have.
Suggested Improvements
How about overhead cam like the rest of the world? I know these websites attract dissatisfied owners, but with the s10, it is deserved. I would NEVER buy a s10 with over 100,000 miles, and I would suggest trading or selling them when they get close to that number.