Used 1996 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

This truck is excellent
By Doug T.

1996 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Many other reviews on this site rate this truck poorly, but look at their complaints, they're completely ridiculous. These people are blaming general maintenance on poor mfg quality. If you use you vehicle hard, you're gonna have problems with it. I have a 96 s-10 that wasn't used heavily and was maintained properly and I haven't had a single problem with it. Buy one with a v6 and you won't be disappointed, this thing can get up and move!

Favorite Features

Extremely peppy and handles close to a car.

Suggested Improvements

Models with bench seats can be a little uncomfortable after long rides.

S-10 Keeps on Trucking
By GJCAILL

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I have had only minor repairs until recently.(front end work-lower ball joints,upper a-frame bushings,tierod ends,idler arm and center link. I had previously had only changed the ac compressor, spark plugs one time, water pump-leaking,belt,and idler pulley.The shocks have all been replaced

Favorite Features

The 40/60 front seat & quick release passenger seat is great for puting articals or people in the back. The double sun visor is also great on those bright days.The engine has plenty of pulling ability for me. I hauled 15 fifty lb sacks and 3 people with ease.

Suggested Improvements

Make the a-frame attaching bolts easier to remove and change the clutch fan attching from the big nut to the water pump hub. I would also like a selection of differential gearing to 3:08 or 2:00 something for better fuel milage or maybe a better overdrive.

1996 S-10
By yoccke

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

The quality of this vehicle is superb. I have had virtualy no trouble with this vehicle in the 8 years that I have owned it.

Favorite Features

4.3 L V6 engine

Suggested Improvements

The body style is not the best looking out there. However, improvements have been made in later model years.

Durable
By Jimbob

1996 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab LB

Bought this truck used in 97. Maintained it with regular oil changes and GM updates. It has never failed me. It has sat outside covered in snow in sub-zero temperatures and starts right up. Yes, the cloth interior is wearing out, but automotively speaking, it still runs as well as when I bought it. And I haven't been real nice to it at times (missed a few scheduled oil changes, demand a lot of it getting on the freeway and have strained the suspension with some really overweight loads). Not something to take a date out in or go to church, but overall, a good dependable, durable truck.

Favorite Features

Standard transmission. Helps with heavy loads and bad weather.

Suggested Improvements

More durable cloth interior.

No more S-10
By acmtx

1996 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is my third S-10 and for the most part I've gotten where I needed to go. The 1996 has been one problem after another. In order Brakes, Wiper Motor, Speedometer, A/C, Heater,Intake Leak, Radiator,Transmission and now the Water Pump! Throw in 5 Batteries, 5 Thermostats, Two Radios and a back window. That's my 1996 Chevy S-10. All at 74,554 miles! BuyAYORisk!

Favorite Features

If you can keep it out of the shop, you'll enjoy the 4.3L engine.

Suggested Improvements

Chevy needs to take a look at their warranty policy. Also poor grade of paint used on the Base Model. My "Red Flag" should have been the 3 recall Letters!