1996 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Second S10 I Shouldn't Have Bought
By nomad on 01/30/10 12:29 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is my second s10 and both have had a SEVERE lack of power, to the point where your leg hurts after going up any little hill. The 4 cylinder is known for this, but these were the 4.3 v6 models! The problem is with the prehistoric overhead valve design the GM still puts in nearly all the vehicles even though every other manufacturer has moved to overhead cam design. If the previous owner didn't change their oil every 2000 miles or sooner, the lifters will mess up by 100,000 miles and the only fix will be to pump $500 into the engine, or buy a new engine altogether.

Vortec is an absolute beast
By 2384623846 on 08/26/08 23:52 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Anyone who complains about this truck has major issues. I have a 1996 ss with stock zq8 suspension and a modified vortec v6. The only problems I encountered were with dialing in the supercharger with my other mods. its fast fun and reliable. and the interior is well organized.

Piece of junk
By ptlytch07 on 09/20/06 14:04 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased this truck with about 80,000 miles on it from a private seller. I only kept the vehicle for 6 months because it was constantly having problems. A/C went out, transmission had to be repaired, radiator had to be replaced, etc. Of course, none of the repairs were cheap or simple. I finally got all the bugs out and got rid of it before something else could go wrong. I wouldn't buy another one of these if I had to. I would rather walk! Piece of junk!

Take the good with the bad
By James in KY on 07/29/06 21:46 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Overall the Chevy S-10 has a solid engine with the Vortec V6. I will say I have the same problems as many others. Owned it for only a week (brand new with 53 miles) and the vanity mirror light stayed illuminated. ABS grinds. Mirror rattled loose. Tranny, clutch and catalytic converter went out at 50K. At some time still under warranty, wiper delay module went out. Now AC needs recharging every summer ($10 kit from Wal-Mart). Water pump, O2 sens., alternator, U-joints going out to be expected w/ high mileage. Check engine light stays on now with 135,700 with no other indications of mechanical problems. With regular maintenance, engine has no problem. Probably drive it until wheels fall off.

never again
By Stuckwithit on 01/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck brand new in 95 and have had nothing but problems since. At 1,500 miles the fan clutch broke. The Manual trans. clutch laid over and died at 2,500 miles. Now 2 transmission jobs, A few U-joints, several hundred dollars worth of A/C repairs, 1 broken timing chain, and a total engine rebuild later, I am fed up with this underpowed piece of crap. I will never buy another S-10.

This truck Sucks
By brianlane on 06/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Chevrolet shipped these trucks with a bad head gasket and some other problem that causes thumping noises. The 2.2L has no power. My old '88 (sold to a friend) is still running strong at > 250k miles. At 150k I'm having to rebuild everything.