1996 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
96 Chevy S-10
By theman on 10/16/07 15:13 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Very mechanically sound vehicle. Owned for 8 years, with very few repairs other than normal wear and tear. Would recommend this vehicle to anyone who wants a reliable truck that gets good gas mileage.

Excellent '96 S-10 service
By Kirk M on 07/12/06 14:43 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Purchased in '02 with 107,000 miles, now has 165,000 miles with no trouble other than alternator, tires, brake pads (normal wearing items) Of course, I do all the normal maintenance that is supposed to be done (ex-auto mechanic with 15+ years experience)

Great Truck!
By darkembrace on 04/17/06 21:35 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this truck with 57000 miles on it in 5/04. I've had it just under 2 years and it now has 98000 miles on it. The only work I've had to do is a starter, tires, and a radiator hose. The fuel economy is great. I drive it 600 hundred miles every other weekend through the Ozark Mountains to pick my daughter up for visitation. That is lot of hard driving for a 4 cylinder motor. I still haven't even had to put a clutch in this truck, and I drive it hard. The a/c still blows cold. I would recommend it to anyone.

Constantly in the shop
By Marshall Green on 01/15/06 04:08 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

This was the worst vehicle I ever owned. A year after having it I got rear ended and my oil filter fell off. Not knowing it, I started to leave, naturally with no oil in the engine. The new engine cost me $6000. The heater core broke and fluid poured into my cab. The wheels were constanly out of alignment. The water pump went out, exploding coolant all out of the bottom. This happened of course while I was 1500 miles from home so that cost me a pretty penny at a dealer. The ignition swith along with spark plug wires went out at the same time. There were more things but I don't have all day. Terrible, terrible vehicle. I would not recommend it to anybody, unless you want to get stranded

Good truck between major repairs
By Tim on 12/19/05 15:30 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I'm the original owner of my 4wd ext. cab ZR2 with 100K mi as of 12/05, and the truck has been a blast to drive off road and to haul stuff with. However, there have been several major repairs that have cost much $$: Tranny at 50K mi, fuel pump, pwr window motor & switches, 6 batteries, oil leaks, two A/C units, two alternators, electrical problems, idler pulley and recently some ignition system problems. Also, at 16 MPG on the highway it is a lousy commuter. I'm convinced the ABS never worked right in spite of at least 3 recalls/bulletins. The 4.3L Vortec V6 has been strong and burns no oil.

Solid, but ZR2 was underengineered
By Ron S on 04/28/05 11:21 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Original owner of black ZR2. Great sightlines from driver's seat, great looks. Had the ABS chip fail in first week of ownership and three front hubs replaced before 42K due to combination of failed parts and mechanic error. Due to oversized tires 31x10.5 being mounted on standard 4wd wheel steering and suspension assemblies (except for Bilstein shocks), this truck eats brakes and lower ball joints. Never got more than 19.8 MPG and now avg about 16MPG with hard driving. I am meticulous with scheduled maint including flushing trans. Major costs included replacing encoder motor at 130K, and fuel pump, water pump, and alternator near 150K. Original engine and tranny and still running very well.

S-10 Keeps on Trucking
By GJCAILL on 08/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I have had only minor repairs until recently.(front end work-lower ball joints,upper a-frame bushings,tierod ends,idler arm and center link. I had previously had only changed the ac compressor, spark plugs one time, water pump-leaking,belt,and idler pulley.The shocks have all been replaced

1996 S-10
By yoccke on 07/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

The quality of this vehicle is superb. I have had virtualy no trouble with this vehicle in the 8 years that I have owned it.

It's been a great little truck
By Jimb on 08/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Do regular maintenance and any vehicle will last. Well-powered with high-end V6 & manual trans, rides nicely, just enough cargo room (LS/Extended cab) and looks good (black w/silver trim). Bought in '98 with 46K miles, now has about 80K. W/Wiper recall was long overdue, but other than that it's been a joy to own & drive (when my wife lets me).

Crap on Wheels
By Camph on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

A problem ever since I owned it. Had 3 rear main seal leaks, two oil pan leaks, 9 rear pinion seal leaks (and it still leaks).