1996 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Good truck between major repairs
By Tim on 12/19/05 15:30 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I'm the original owner of my 4wd ext. cab ZR2 with 100K mi as of 12/05, and the truck has been a blast to drive off road and to haul stuff with. However, there have been several major repairs that have cost much $$: Tranny at 50K mi, fuel pump, pwr window motor & switches, 6 batteries, oil leaks, two A/C units, two alternators, electrical problems, idler pulley and recently some ignition system problems. Also, at 16 MPG on the highway it is a lousy commuter. I'm convinced the ABS never worked right in spite of at least 3 recalls/bulletins. The 4.3L Vortec V6 has been strong and burns no oil.

Crap on Wheels
By Camph on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

A problem ever since I owned it. Had 3 rear main seal leaks, two oil pan leaks, 9 rear pinion seal leaks (and it still leaks).

Good Truck
By mikeyz on 01/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have been reading the reviews of this vehicle and am surprised by the reports. I purchased my 1996 Chevy S- 10 ZR2 Extracab in may of 1998--when i purchased it the vehicle had 58,000 miles. I recently broke 100,000 and have had (knock on wood)no major problems to report. I do change the oil regularly but other than that I have done regular maintence. I changed my transmission filter and fluid, put new brake pads, changed the idler pulley and my belts and have replaced the A/C condensor. I did all of this myself so the cost has been relatively low. My truck still has lots of power and I haul my ATV with it and I 4X4 alot with it while hunting.

Not reliable;
By Boris2 on 11/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This vehicle falls appart at 125,000 miles; in spite of carefull and regular mainteance. Air conditionner stopped working: $800 Transmission broke twice! $2000 + $1500 Intake gasket leak: $500 The oil pressure has dropped considerably lately and the car may need a rebuilt engine soon $$$??

questionable......
By big stank on 06/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

i hate to say it but i do have worries about my truck sometimes. its a great truck when it works.i bought it usedfrom a guy i know and it was in great condition - it was at 96500 miles and ran great till about 98000.at 98 i to drop a new starter in the new thing.soon after i put that in my service engine light came on. after copule of oxygen cencors it ran great to 100,000 miles where know it sits at the shop waiting a new trany cause it had a trans fulid leak.after visteding many trans shops almost every guy i talked to made it sounded very common. and other then my low lock not working now i hope i dont have any problems.good luck with yours

Great Engine, but everything else...
By solid on 05/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my S-10 about 2 years ago from a friend. I've put about $3500 into repairs in 2 years. The engine on the truck is great, but everything else seems to break down constantly. Had major problems with the fuel pump, brake booster, O2 sensors, and the front axel. The roof leaks very bad, and both door switches broke about a month after I got it. The washer fluid bin started leaking as well as the transmission fluid pan. Brakes have been a very big hassle also. The truck is very comfortable to drive, but that's about it. All in all I will NEVER ever buy another S-10.