Used 1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Good truck between major repairs
By Tim

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I'm the original owner of my 4wd ext. cab ZR2 with 100K mi as of 12/05, and the truck has been a blast to drive off road and to haul stuff with. However, there have been several major repairs that have cost much $$: Tranny at 50K mi, fuel pump, pwr window motor & switches, 6 batteries, oil leaks, two A/C units, two alternators, electrical problems, idler pulley and recently some ignition system problems. Also, at 16 MPG on the highway it is a lousy commuter. I'm convinced the ABS never worked right in spite of at least 3 recalls/bulletins. The 4.3L Vortec V6 has been strong and burns no oil.

Interior is very comfortable. Simple things like visor extensions and clean instrument and environmental control layout go a long way. It can be rear-ended quite hard and suffer minimal damage. Mine's been hit four times.

Reliability of major drivetrain components and accessories. Bigger gas tank (at 16 MPG, I avoid going more than 200 mi with the 13.8 gal. tank).

Crap on Wheels
By Camph

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

A problem ever since I owned it. Had 3 rear main seal leaks, two oil pan leaks, 9 rear pinion seal leaks (and it still leaks).

A comfortable ride even for a truck. Engine still had pep in it after many miles. The dealership has a great service crew.

Have Chevy build something that actually lasts.

Good Truck
By mikeyz

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have been reading the reviews of this vehicle and am surprised by the reports. I purchased my 1996 Chevy S- 10 ZR2 Extracab in may of 1998--when i purchased it the vehicle had 58,000 miles. I recently broke 100,000 and have had (knock on wood)no major problems to report. I do change the oil regularly but other than that I have done regular maintence. I changed my transmission filter and fluid, put new brake pads, changed the idler pulley and my belts and have replaced the A/C condensor. I did all of this myself so the cost has been relatively low. My truck still has lots of power and I haul my ATV with it and I 4X4 alot with it while hunting.

4X4 is great--good power comfortable

Not reliable;
By Boris2

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This vehicle falls appart at 125,000 miles; in spite of carefull and regular mainteance. Air conditionner stopped working: $800 Transmission broke twice! $2000 + $1500 Intake gasket leak: $500 The oil pressure has dropped considerably lately and the car may need a rebuilt engine soon $$$??

Nice stance; Looks strong (but isn't); Fun to drive, but have AAA card and cell phone.

If you own one of these, sell it before you hit 125,000 miles! I always thought a GM truck should go 200,000 without main problems: BIG DISSAPOINTMENT! Also, very bad turn radius!

questionable......
By big stank

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

i hate to say it but i do have worries about my truck sometimes. its a great truck when it works.i bought it usedfrom a guy i know and it was in great condition - it was at 96500 miles and ran great till about 98000.at 98 i to drop a new starter in the new thing.soon after i put that in my service engine light came on. after copule of oxygen cencors it ran great to 100,000 miles where know it sits at the shop waiting a new trany cause it had a trans fulid leak.after visteding many trans shops almost every guy i talked to made it sounded very common. and other then my low lock not working now i hope i dont have any problems.good luck with yours

??????? not be a piece of crap