1996 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
96 Chevy S-10
By theman on 10/16/07 15:13 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Very mechanically sound vehicle. Owned for 8 years, with very few repairs other than normal wear and tear. Would recommend this vehicle to anyone who wants a reliable truck that gets good gas mileage.

Excellent '96 S-10 service
By Kirk M on 07/12/06 14:43 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Purchased in '02 with 107,000 miles, now has 165,000 miles with no trouble other than alternator, tires, brake pads (normal wearing items) Of course, I do all the normal maintenance that is supposed to be done (ex-auto mechanic with 15+ years experience)

Great Truck!
By darkembrace on 04/17/06 21:35 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this truck with 57000 miles on it in 5/04. I've had it just under 2 years and it now has 98000 miles on it. The only work I've had to do is a starter, tires, and a radiator hose. The fuel economy is great. I drive it 600 hundred miles every other weekend through the Ozark Mountains to pick my daughter up for visitation. That is lot of hard driving for a 4 cylinder motor. I still haven't even had to put a clutch in this truck, and I drive it hard. The a/c still blows cold. I would recommend it to anyone.

Constantly in the shop
By Marshall Green on 01/15/06 04:08 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

This was the worst vehicle I ever owned. A year after having it I got rear ended and my oil filter fell off. Not knowing it, I started to leave, naturally with no oil in the engine. The new engine cost me $6000. The heater core broke and fluid poured into my cab. The wheels were constanly out of alignment. The water pump went out, exploding coolant all out of the bottom. This happened of course while I was 1500 miles from home so that cost me a pretty penny at a dealer. The ignition swith along with spark plug wires went out at the same time. There were more things but I don't have all day. Terrible, terrible vehicle. I would not recommend it to anybody, unless you want to get stranded

1996 S-10
By yoccke on 07/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

The quality of this vehicle is superb. I have had virtualy no trouble with this vehicle in the 8 years that I have owned it.

It's been a great little truck
By Jimb on 08/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Do regular maintenance and any vehicle will last. Well-powered with high-end V6 & manual trans, rides nicely, just enough cargo room (LS/Extended cab) and looks good (black w/silver trim). Bought in '98 with 46K miles, now has about 80K. W/Wiper recall was long overdue, but other than that it's been a joy to own & drive (when my wife lets me).

nice
By JDo on 03/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Nice truck, but definitely need the V6 vortec, it makes it so much more fun to drive. Rough in the snow without 4wd

Lemon
By beenLemonized on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

My first truck was a 4 cyl manual s-10 that I owned for a year with no problems. My second one was a 1996 4.3 v6 LS that needed a rebuilt transmission. I purchased another one in '98 and I have had to replace: Starter Turn signal flasher Drive shaft AC compressor Dryer Water pump Tensioner arm Power Booster Whenever I bring it in for service the mechanic is never surprised. A $20,000 truck should be FAR more reliable than the s-10. I have contacted General Motors several times about the reliability of this truck and they have ignored ALL of my correspondence.