1996 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Got what I was expecting..
By shawnsta3 on 10/13/12 16:01 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I bought this car for 4.500 last year and was promptly taken to the cleaners. I can't even sell this car for 3,500 this year. But on my actual review, I pretty much got what I expected out of this truck. Decent gas mileage in overdrive (not what you would hope for such a small engine) lack of power going up hills. The 4 wheel drive is a plus. The extended cab is a joke. Only kids under the age of 5 can fit back there. Poor inside looks. Average outside looks. The automatic window on my side sticks sometimes. This truck was really nothing special in the year I have owned it. But on the bright side the only problem I had with it was a new battery and battery connecter for repairs.

2nd S-10
By Dale on 06/04/10 18:44 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

This was my second S-10. Great little truck, interior wasn't as nice as the later models but engine performance was good. No problems with the truck at all. parked the truck because I bought another and decided to do what Chevrolet won't do. I stuff a SBC 427 and Powerglide in it. To hell with fuel mileage, lets have fun, still racing her too

Second S10 I Shouldn't Have Bought
By nomad on 01/30/10 12:29 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is my second s10 and both have had a SEVERE lack of power, to the point where your leg hurts after going up any little hill. The 4 cylinder is known for this, but these were the 4.3 v6 models! The problem is with the prehistoric overhead valve design the GM still puts in nearly all the vehicles even though every other manufacturer has moved to overhead cam design. If the previous owner didn't change their oil every 2000 miles or sooner, the lifters will mess up by 100,000 miles and the only fix will be to pump $500 into the engine, or buy a new engine altogether.

I love my truck
By Joeshmo417 on 11/19/09 20:24 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab LB

This is my second vehicle and I absolutely love it. It has decent mileage and enough horsepower you'd expect from a 4-cylinder truck. It also is very roomy for being such a small truck.

A Real Work Truck
By David French on 05/22/09 09:57 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab LB

I love my truck. It is not much more than a vehicle to get me to and from work but it is fun to drive and very dependable. The few major repairs I have had have been expensive but thankfully they have been few and far between. To just have a truck that you can use to haul furniture, lawn care stuff, or just about anything, this little S-10 is about as good as it gets.

Like a rock
By Greg on 02/07/09 18:12 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab LB

I have owned this truck for about a year now. I love almost everything about it. The 4.3L has plenty of power compared to my earlier 87 s-10 with the 2.8L. This truck has almost 400k and does not owe me a thing. The one thing I would change is more durable cloth on seats especially on driver side. Recommend the S-10 to anyone so far best built compared to ford and dodge.

Vortec is an absolute beast
By 2384623846 on 08/26/08 23:52 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Anyone who complains about this truck has major issues. I have a 1996 ss with stock zq8 suspension and a modified vortec v6. The only problems I encountered were with dialing in the supercharger with my other mods. its fast fun and reliable. and the interior is well organized.

96 Chevy S-10
By theman on 10/16/07 15:13 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Very mechanically sound vehicle. Owned for 8 years, with very few repairs other than normal wear and tear. Would recommend this vehicle to anyone who wants a reliable truck that gets good gas mileage.

Piece of junk
By ptlytch07 on 09/20/06 14:04 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased this truck with about 80,000 miles on it from a private seller. I only kept the vehicle for 6 months because it was constantly having problems. A/C went out, transmission had to be repaired, radiator had to be replaced, etc. Of course, none of the repairs were cheap or simple. I finally got all the bugs out and got rid of it before something else could go wrong. I wouldn't buy another one of these if I had to. I would rather walk! Piece of junk!

Take the good with the bad
By James in KY on 07/29/06 21:46 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Overall the Chevy S-10 has a solid engine with the Vortec V6. I will say I have the same problems as many others. Owned it for only a week (brand new with 53 miles) and the vanity mirror light stayed illuminated. ABS grinds. Mirror rattled loose. Tranny, clutch and catalytic converter went out at 50K. At some time still under warranty, wiper delay module went out. Now AC needs recharging every summer ($10 kit from Wal-Mart). Water pump, O2 sens., alternator, U-joints going out to be expected w/ high mileage. Check engine light stays on now with 135,700 with no other indications of mechanical problems. With regular maintenance, engine has no problem. Probably drive it until wheels fall off.