Used 1995 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Bad luck with truck !
By Elijah Sowers

1995 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought my truck new in 95 maybe 14 miles on it after 4years every thing fell apart. 38,000 miles through bearing comes apart around 40,000 miles antifreeze starts leaking down the side fo the block. the head bolts broke off in the engine causing the leal 48,000 miles starter falls off both starter bolts broke off in engine. The only good thing I can say about this truck is it looks sharp. I a piece of junk with nice looking body I will never buy chevy or GM again.

Suggested Improvements

Put Ford engine and drivetrain in this truck and you might have something

Best truck ever
By allen

1995 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Keep up on maintencs with lucas oil aditive. Change oil every 5,000 with good oil. This truck will run forever! My Bahama blue over black is a cool paint job from factory. T vortex v-6 is a power house. I have just shy of 300,000 miles and this truck runs like it did when i bought it new. I have replaced the u joints 8 times but just replaced the shocks at 275,000

Favorite Features

The cool paint from factory, good factory Delco cd player and towing power are a plus .Gas mileage still is about 19.5 to 21 in highway / city. The anti lock brakes work very good in the rain or snow. It is very hard to get the truck stuck in the snow with a little bit of weight in the bed.

Suggested Improvements

Strong u joints, and a bug guard to protect the winshield, heater core is in very bad place you have to take out the dash will take a few hrs. to replace

Mechanical Problems
By Nathan D

1995 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I like the way you sit in the truck. Not too high, not too low. The manual transmission treats me well too. Good clutch and easy to shift. There are a few negatives however. It drove well off the lot, but a week later the head gasket decided to go out at 90,000 miles. The exhaust was replaced a couple times as well. The side mirror has fallen off twice. Once when I was on the interstate, it was quite a surprise. The blower switch has broken. The turn signal switch has gone out and still doesn't work quite right. The thermostat has failed once, and plug and wires were replaced at 150,000 miles. At 156,000 miles, the head gasket has an internal leak and will need replacement.

Favorite Features

The body of the truck has held up well. Contrary to other reviews, I kinda like the bucket seats in my truck.

Suggested Improvements

Better engine with fewer problems. A bad head gasket not only hurts your day but your bank account too!

Good little truck
By Big D

1995 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I love my truck. Very reliable and cheap transportation for me for the last 12 years. I have had a few problems, but most were covered under warranty during the first 36,000 miles. Since then, I replaced the alternator, battery, U bolts, and that is it. The truck burns no oil, runs like a dream, and is very quick. It rides a little rough. It is easy to park and easy to see out of this vehicle. Oh yeah, one more thing, the radio volume knob fell off one day. Funny thing was I was driving down the road, passed a guy with the exact same truck, looked through his window and noticed that his volume button fell off too!

Favorite Features

I can pull in front of someone and then step on it and leave 'em in the dust. They don't think an S10 truck can do that, but it does.

Suggested Improvements

It's too late to improve this truck now. Plus there is not much to improve. Sure it would be great to have side airbags and passenger airbags, but those weren't common in '95.

Great S-10
By Rick B.

1995 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought new with 6 miles. TB V6 auto Red over B;ack. In 11 years, have replaced EGR (2 mo), A/C Comp., Evap., muffler. That's it. Drives and handles great, rides great, fun to drive. The ABS is something else. Hard to brake & stop. Upgraded the rotors, calipers, drums and shoes to get it working properly. You can put a ton of stuff in this 1/2 ton and still have power and comfort. The worst thing about this truck was replacing the flasher for the turn signals. The engineer that placed the part is still laughing to this day!

Favorite Features

Looks. Style. Color combo. Ride. Comfort. Peppy TBI V6.

Suggested Improvements

Find the engineer that decided to put the flasher unit in a place that requires removing 37 screws, 3 panels under the dash along with the deep tight fit and make him change the thing!