1995 Chevrolet S-10 LS Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

My first....
By Chevygirl

1995 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my S-10 9 years ago when I was 22,it was my first truck AND first vehicle I have ever owned. It only had 98,000 miles on it and now has around 170,000. Other than regular tune ups, break changes and flat tiers the amount of money I have had to put into it. Has been less then $500! And when something does go wrong the fact that it's American made makes it all the more easier and cheaper to fix and get fix. Her MPR is starting to drop but that's to be expected. Shes a 2wd but has put 4 wd to shame. Drives fully loaded and unloaded like a dream. Great interior. Still nothing to complain about 9 years later. Already bought another one and looking for the next one. Still got her though!!

Favorite Features

You can fully load the bed and still get good MPG considering. Still can seat 4 like a car if need be.

Suggested Improvements

YEA a BIG ONE! Get rid of the COLO. and bring back the S-10! Do you know how hard it is to get people to sell their S-10's? :) other than that? Nope, keep them the same.. :)

Awesome Truck
By John U

1995 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Year 2008:Still running strong. Tired of hearing negativity after 100000 mi. Take care of it and it will take care of you. My S10 will be coming up to the 200000 mi club before the end of the year. I am getting 30mpg. I primarily use it to drive for work, approx. 80mi round trip due to new job(2yrs). Only major thing was the water pump. The normal maintenance of oil changes and tune ups has it still running strong. I am just now starting to get rust on both sides of the lower cab. This is great considering I live in NE Ohio and what the salt does to your vehicle.

Best truck ever
By allen

1995 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Keep up on maintencs with lucas oil aditive. Change oil every 5,000 with good oil. This truck will run forever! My Bahama blue over black is a cool paint job from factory. T vortex v-6 is a power house. I have just shy of 300,000 miles and this truck runs like it did when i bought it new. I have replaced the u joints 8 times but just replaced the shocks at 275,000

Favorite Features

The cool paint from factory, good factory Delco cd player and towing power are a plus .Gas mileage still is about 19.5 to 21 in highway / city. The anti lock brakes work very good in the rain or snow. It is very hard to get the truck stuck in the snow with a little bit of weight in the bed.

Suggested Improvements

Strong u joints, and a bug guard to protect the winshield, heater core is in very bad place you have to take out the dash will take a few hrs. to replace

Mechanical Problems
By Nathan D

1995 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I like the way you sit in the truck. Not too high, not too low. The manual transmission treats me well too. Good clutch and easy to shift. There are a few negatives however. It drove well off the lot, but a week later the head gasket decided to go out at 90,000 miles. The exhaust was replaced a couple times as well. The side mirror has fallen off twice. Once when I was on the interstate, it was quite a surprise. The blower switch has broken. The turn signal switch has gone out and still doesn't work quite right. The thermostat has failed once, and plug and wires were replaced at 150,000 miles. At 156,000 miles, the head gasket has an internal leak and will need replacement.

Favorite Features

The body of the truck has held up well. Contrary to other reviews, I kinda like the bucket seats in my truck.

Suggested Improvements

Better engine with fewer problems. A bad head gasket not only hurts your day but your bank account too!

Great S-10
By Rick B.

1995 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought new with 6 miles. TB V6 auto Red over B;ack. In 11 years, have replaced EGR (2 mo), A/C Comp., Evap., muffler. That's it. Drives and handles great, rides great, fun to drive. The ABS is something else. Hard to brake & stop. Upgraded the rotors, calipers, drums and shoes to get it working properly. You can put a ton of stuff in this 1/2 ton and still have power and comfort. The worst thing about this truck was replacing the flasher for the turn signals. The engineer that placed the part is still laughing to this day!

Favorite Features

Looks. Style. Color combo. Ride. Comfort. Peppy TBI V6.

Suggested Improvements

Find the engineer that decided to put the flasher unit in a place that requires removing 37 screws, 3 panels under the dash along with the deep tight fit and make him change the thing!

Great Truck So Far
By Tony Cross

1995 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I just got this truck and so far so good. When I first got it it was on E and I put $10 in it and it got me almost a half of a tank so I can imagine how much it would be to fill it up. I was shocked because before I had a gas guzzling Dodge Dakota and $10 from E might get you 1/25 of a tank. This S-10 has a smooth idle and runs quiet when driving. This truck is not afraid to get up to speed either. You will be at 70 before you know it. That is when the cruise control come in handy.

Favorite Features

Everything because this truck is a big improvement over my money hungry, gas guzzling Dodge I had

What a Fun Ride
By Kayle Drucker

1995 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck was my father's truck before I got it at 16 yrs of age. It is a very dependable truck, even with a teenage behind the wheel. have 127,000 miles today. Just have the normal maintenance on the truck. I would recommend this truck to anyone. If you buy this truck get the V6 5 speed manual, that is where the fun comes into play. Hate to sell and will miss my truck but I do require more room to fit more people.

Favorite Features

5 speed manual, the acceleration, driving through the desert.

Suggested Improvements

Just having a bit more room in the extended cab but will miss this truck.

Great Truck
By D. Karl

1995 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I've always been a truck owner. I've had my S-10 for 10 years. I like the ride... handles well enough, but a pleasant ride. Interior is fine for me; seat color hides dirt. Just an all round nice vehicle. In 10 years and 150,000 miles the only repairs were EGR valve, alternator and wiper hose.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Fast w/ the 195 hp engine. Has been very reliable for me.

Suggested Improvements

Only changes I would make are to reduce a few interior plastic vibrations and to increase fuel mileage (perhaps shorter gears w/ the limited slip I have).

Not the best truck to drive
By Habnar

1995 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

When I first tried to drive this truck off the lot I put it in reverse and let out the clutch and heard the gears grinding. I went back in and told the dealer that there is something wrong with the transmission. Oh no, he says, that is normal, you have to wait 6 seconds after you put it in reverse before you can let out on the clutch. That is the biggest beef I have with this truck. I have the 2.2L, 4 cyl. and the head gasket went at about 85,000. Other than that it has been very reliable. The truck can be a handful to drive, especially around sharp turns and exit ramps at highway speeds.

Favorite Features

The seats are very comfortable and the interior is very quiet with no rattles at all.

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission!

Holds up alright
By Smack02

1995 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

The main thing that turned me on to the S10 was the exterior looks. The interior comforts leave much to desire. There have been times where I've put Chevy's (built)'Like a Rock' statement to the test and the truck came thru boldly. During my course of ownership, there have been certain parts that break, which should never break: rearview mirror fell off, 'fold-a-way' side mirrors break, heater core goes bad and drips antifreeze in cabin, clutch switch. 112K miles

Favorite Features

props to Chevy's powertrain department, good paint, good highway ride, hauls a heavier load than you think

Suggested Improvements

tach with a 5-sp!!, a serious antilock brake upgrade, firmer seats, have other interior materials besides dull, gray plastic, more accurate fuel gauge