Used 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Mama's Truck Now
By Mama's Truck Now

1991 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought with 20K miles for son to drive to college. 5 speed in floor. When son bought his first new car, I paid him $1000 for the truck. Have driven it for 12 years now and will keep it until I have to have it towed off. Great little truck that costs zilch to operate. Only work done on it was a fuel pump. At 160K now. Love my truck! (My other car is a Lexus)

Favorite Features

Manual transmission. 6 cylinder plenty of power.

Suggested Improvements

AC and radio went out at 100K. Paint job bad. Entire truck down to primer now.

Lil white
By ford man

1991 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

This truck is very reliable and fast. The 4.3 is a great engine. I hate Chevy but this one has done good. It's at 197,000 miles and still strong as ever. However bad gas mileage has hurt me a little. Over all good reliable truck. With bad paint. And can beat a V8 Mustang

Favorite Features

Power, reliable

Suggested Improvements

Better paint, better gas mileage

1991 S-10 4.3 V6 2WD
By Dave

1991 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab Tahoe 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought it new in '91 and currently have 228K miles on it. Except for a transmission seal and some paint issues, no other repairs until 130K miles. Engine was rebuilt at 155K and has been running strong since. I've changed oil every 3K miles since purchase. It's been stolen twice in the last 3 years and keeps finding its way back home. If it wasn't for the 'peel-and-steal' steering column I would continue to drive it to work every day. Wanted 4WD but glad I didn't get it now as some people have reported issues over the years with drivetrain. It's been a pleasure to drive and I've had some heavy loads in it in the last two years.

Favorite Features

Basic all-purpose pickup but fun to drive. Great gas mileage (23 city/28 highway). Taken a lot of punishment since the first time it was stolen.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint, electrical. With no load the traction can be a challenge on sand/heavy rain...good traction control needed. More durable interior parts.

Best Chevy I ever had!!!
By S10's FOREVER!!

1991 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab Tahoe 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this S10 new in '91. It sat on the lot almost a year, since it has no AC. It is mint green & white 2 tone (Have only seen 1 other like it). I LOVE this truck. Have only spent about $300 on it other than routine maint. It has 197,000+ miles on it with a 2.8 V6 and 5 spd tranny. Daily driver, still gets hwy mileage around 28 mpg, uses 1 qt of oil between 3,000 mile changes (it's been like that since it was new). I would strongly advise if you can find a good older S10, BUY IT!! I'm on the lookout for another one.

Favorite Features

Truck drives good, handles good and great mileage for the miles I have put on it. I actually like this S10 BETTER than a '98 that I have. It gets the same gas mileage with a 2.8 V6 that my '98 with a 2.2 4cyl. Love everyting about the truck!!

Suggested Improvements

Chevy should have kept the small S10. Good Reliable, fun to drive vehicle!!

Trustworthy workhorse & handy
By man_of_honor

1991 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought a 2.5L 4cyl Short Box with Automatic Transmission and Rallye Wheels new in 09-91. The S10 still delivers decent mileage, competent handling, and outstanding reliability. No engine repairs. No transmission repairs. No electrical repairs under the hood. The only parts to wear out have been the fuel pump, and consequently the dashboard fuel gauge (both replaced at 138,000 miles); the serpentine belt at 95,000 miles, and the water pump at 110,000 miles. The 4- cyl lacks punch in overdrive. But the transmission with well tuned gearing and 89 octane gas compensate nicely, provided you are willing to down-shift the automatic manually. It deserves my highest recommendation.

Favorite Features

Reliable. Handy. Automatic Transmission. Flexibility to install one size larger 205-75-14 tires. S10 braking with 205's was superior to 89 Escort with 175's. Predictable handling. Low cost of ownership. Tires and parts are available and cheap. Wide open spaces under the hood.

Suggested Improvements

A bit more low end torque, and horsepower would have helped since I live in hilly terrain with steep grades. Once clocked 38 mpg over two days riding overdrive on the flat highways in Delaware. Get slighltly below Federal mpg estimates in the Pocono foothills because of horsepower limitations.