Used 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Mama's Truck Now
By Mama's Truck Now

1991 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought with 20K miles for son to drive to college. 5 speed in floor. When son bought his first new car, I paid him $1000 for the truck. Have driven it for 12 years now and will keep it until I have to have it towed off. Great little truck that costs zilch to operate. Only work done on it was a fuel pump. At 160K now. Love my truck! (My other car is a Lexus)

Favorite Features

Manual transmission. 6 cylinder plenty of power.

Suggested Improvements

AC and radio went out at 100K. Paint job bad. Entire truck down to primer now.

Lil white
By ford man

1991 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

This truck is very reliable and fast. The 4.3 is a great engine. I hate Chevy but this one has done good. It's at 197,000 miles and still strong as ever. However bad gas mileage has hurt me a little. Over all good reliable truck. With bad paint. And can beat a V8 Mustang

Favorite Features

Power, reliable

Suggested Improvements

Better paint, better gas mileage

My beater
By Jett1

1991 Chevrolet S-10 Tahoe 2dr Maxi-Cab 4WD SB

91 4x4 4.3L swb 3rd owner. These years of trucks were the last of the trucks that were not yuppie-fied. I bought the truck had to replace engine (due to my driving style) new clutch new tires and breaks. with all that still like the truck the lack of performance and poor fuel econ keeps me from speeding. And its size keep the truck needing friends at bay. I know that it sounds like I don't like my truck but I do very much. I hope to have my kids learn to drive in it because the prev mentioned reasons and it is old enough to not be concerned with the expected body damage.

Favorite Features

No frills (more to break)

Suggested Improvements

Rust prevention. Chevy has done

1991 S-10 4.3 V6 2WD
By Dave

1991 Chevrolet S-10 Tahoe 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought it new in '91 and currently have 228K miles on it. Except for a transmission seal and some paint issues, no other repairs until 130K miles. Engine was rebuilt at 155K and has been running strong since. I've changed oil every 3K miles since purchase. It's been stolen twice in the last 3 years and keeps finding its way back home. If it wasn't for the 'peel-and-steal' steering column I would continue to drive it to work every day. Wanted 4WD but glad I didn't get it now as some people have reported issues over the years with drivetrain. It's been a pleasure to drive and I've had some heavy loads in it in the last two years.

Favorite Features

Basic all-purpose pickup but fun to drive. Great gas mileage (23 city/28 highway). Taken a lot of punishment since the first time it was stolen.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint, electrical. With no load the traction can be a challenge on sand/heavy rain...good traction control needed. More durable interior parts.

Best Chevy I ever had!!!
By S10's FOREVER!!

1991 Chevrolet S-10 Tahoe 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this S10 new in '91. It sat on the lot almost a year, since it has no AC. It is mint green & white 2 tone (Have only seen 1 other like it). I LOVE this truck. Have only spent about $300 on it other than routine maint. It has 197,000+ miles on it with a 2.8 V6 and 5 spd tranny. Daily driver, still gets hwy mileage around 28 mpg, uses 1 qt of oil between 3,000 mile changes (it's been like that since it was new). I would strongly advise if you can find a good older S10, BUY IT!! I'm on the lookout for another one.

Favorite Features

Truck drives good, handles good and great mileage for the miles I have put on it. I actually like this S10 BETTER than a '98 that I have. It gets the same gas mileage with a 2.8 V6 that my '98 with a 2.2 4cyl. Love everyting about the truck!!

Suggested Improvements

Chevy should have kept the small S10. Good Reliable, fun to drive vehicle!!